Movie: Grindhouse

I saw it last night. It's ok but not as interesting as most reviews I've read make it out to be. Trouble is that the original grindhouse movies took themselves seriously but these don't , so they seem a bit condescending-- especially the Rodriguez.

Warning Old Geezer Rant: I'm just so sick and tired of movies that feature violence. Crap, can't directors and writers come up with anything worthwhile? What's especially sickening is setting through commercials for this straight-to-dvd sleezefest that boasts how it "too intense" for theaters. I would love to know what kind of exit survey they take at these movies: Not enough blood? Did the decapitation scene look real enough? :bad:

Boxoffice has not been very good so far.....bad luck to destroy lots of old cars for a stupid movie! :angry:

What about Blues Brothers? The (car) body count is through the roof on that. Or maybe it doesn't matter if they're just cop cars?

And Bullit wrecked two of the most classic cars of all time in one chase scene!

I saw it Friday night and I thought it was awesome! I LOVED the pseudo-tailers for non-existent movies ("...with Nicholas Cage as Fu Manchu!") and the missing reels were hilarious! I saw it with a hip young audience at the local art-house, and they really appreciated it. I think the reaction at the mall cinema would have been more muted.

I also thought that this performance may well do for Kurt Russell what "Pulp Fiction" did for Travolta. He was amazing!

Was it the equal of "Sin City" or "Kill Bill"? No, but it's an ass-kicking good time. The cast are having a ball with it, you can see it in their faces...

Plus Rose McGowan is totally hot, especially with that gun-leg!

Yowza!

trailer_35.jpg

Edited by Alexander

Warning Old Geezer Rant: I'm just so sick and tired of movies that feature violence. Crap, can't directors and writers come up with anything worthwhile? What's especially sickening is setting through commercials for this straight-to-dvd sleezefest that boasts how it "too intense" for theaters. I would love to know what kind of exit survey they take at these movies: Not enough blood? Did the decapitation scene look real enough? :bad:

Um...it's fun? I love thought-provoking cinema as much as the next guy (one of my all time favorite films is "Les Enfants du Paradis" by Marcel Carne), but gory schlock has its place, too! That's why they made drive-n theatres...

Boxoffice has not been very good so far.....bad luck to destroy lots of old cars for a stupid movie! :angry:

What about Blues Brothers? The (car) body count is through the roof on that. Or maybe it doesn't matter if they're just cop cars?

And Bullit wrecked two of the most classic cars of all time in one chase scene!

Big difference, they were new cars then! I even heard Quintin talking to Jay Leno about how they were told that they could never tell folks they were buying cars from that they were going to be used for a movie, and likely destroyed. "Oh don't worry man, I will treat your baby well! Always used Valvoline, sure, that's what she'll use for the rest of her life!" :w Between the Dukes of Hazzard TV shows, and movies, and this movie, I am amazed there are any late 60's Chargers left.

I saw Tarantino & Rodriguez on Charlie Rose.

I'm going to skip it.

Off thread: Go see The Namesake instead. :tup

No, go see "The Namesake" as well! Why does life have to be "either/or"? Why choose when you can have both?

I saw both movies and enjoyed both immensely.

I went with my 14year old son to see 'Grindhouse', and he also enjoyed it. Deliberately cheesy, no deep themes or ruminations on the meaning of life. Give me a big bucket of popcorn and we had a great time for a Saturday afternoon.

Kurt Russell was excellent! I never thought much of him as an actor but this changed my opinion of him.

I saw Tarantino & Rodriguez on Charlie Rose.

I'm going to skip it.

Off thread: Go see The Namesake instead. :tup

No, go see "The Namesake" as well! Why does life have to be "either/or"? Why choose when you can have both?

I guess I'm not part of the "hip young audience" anymore.

Maybe my loss , maybe not. I'm just at the stage where I'd rather go see the 1962 Italian movie, Mafioso (to name another). :cool:

is there a 5/10 minute break between movies?

or after they play one, they jump into the fake trailers and the next flick

:)

Fake trailers and then the next flick. Plus an ad for the "Acuna Boys Mexican restaurant." (A "Kill Bill" reference. Incidentally, did anybody else notice Michael Parks playing the sheriff from "Kill Bill" in "Death Proof"?)

Kurt Russell was excellent! I never thought much of him as an actor but this changed my opinion of him.

Dude - John Carpenter's The Thing??

Agreed, Kurt Russell was AWESOME in The Thing...in fact, that movie is way underrated in my opinion and follows the original short story much closer than the original version.

Dude - John Carpenter's The Thing??

Agreed, Kurt Russell was AWESOME in The Thing...in fact, that movie is way underrated in my opinion and follows the original short story much closer than the original version.

I had completely forgotten about 'The Thing'- I need to watch it again.