R.I.P. Kudra, my cat.

Tough day at our house yesterday. We had to put down our cat Kudra. We're not even sure how old she was; I adopted her about 15 years ago from a shelter near downtown Chicago, and I think she was a couple of years old then. So she definitely had a good run.

She was always quite a handful. At that shelter in Chicago, when I took her out of the cage and sat with her for a few minutes, she was purring and snuggling into my chest and growling and hissing at me! I realized this was a cat with some issues going on, and it was a done deal. :P

Needless to say, over 15 years, she was with me (us) through some life changes: a big move to New Mexico, a divorce a few years ago, single life, and a couple of years ago a move into the future Mrs. DukeCity's house (wedding day coming up May 27!). Probably the most traumatic moment of the cat's life was shortly after we moved in with my fiance. Kudra had never been around dogs, and the little woman has two substantial, rambunctious ones, an Australian Blue Heeler, and a German/Belgian Shepherd. We had been careful about keeping them separate, and introducing them VERY gradually. The second day we were in the new house, Kudra was out of her carrier and exploring her new home when the dogs got in and made a beeline for her at full speed. She freaked out and SCREAMED like she was auditoning for "Friday the 13th part XXI." Of course later, we humans had a good laugh, but it took a while for Kudra and the dogs to achieve a frosty détente.

Her health had been failing the last couple of years; requiring daily thyroid medication, and a lot of supplemental fiber to keep things "moving." We knew her time was coming, and yesterday morning she had what looked like a stroke or some kind of seizure, with front and back legs on her right side flailing out of control. When the vet administered "the juice", Kudra went almost immediately. Our vet, who in the past had talked us out of putting the cat down, said that when it goes that fast it's a sign that her systems were fragile enough that we made the call at the right time.

Pretty quiet around the house this morning, without her hollering for a third and fourth breakfast. But she left us with plenty of fond memories, and plenty of white fur still stuck to furniture all over the house.

Edited by DukeCity

Sorry to hear about your cat. My cat died last year. I had him for 20 years. Like you and Kudra, we had been through a lot of life changing events together. The hardest part was my 2yr. old son asking,"Where did cat go?" everyday for the next 3-4 months and fumbling around for an answer....

Something you might want to consider to honor Kudra's memory is making a donation to the Cornell Feline Health Center.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/memorials/

Sorry to hear about that, Glenn. They're part of the family and it's hard to say goodbye. At least she's not in pain any more, although I know saying that doesn't really ease your pain much.

The day is quickly approaching when I'll be moving away from KC, and I'm really starting to dread saying goodbye to my dog- he'll be very well cared for (by my ex), but I'm sure going to miss him.

We sure get attached to our animals, don't we? :wub:

Sorry to hear about your loss. :( Sounds like you have many fond memories from the past decade and a half. You have to feel a bit sorry for those who never have been attached to an animal..... Have had to put 3 cats down in the past 4 years, and they went very fast as well. Hopefully, someday soon you will find just the right cat to terrorize those two dogs! ^_^

my sincere sympathies for your loss.

in one week, last week, i lost a dog and cat, each of which had been with me over 20 years, and 5 months ago, my beloved chihuahua. for the first time in 47 years i dont have a dog around, and it really sucks. you cant replace the unique and special love of each family pet.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

My daughter recently lost her first pet. She had a betta fish named Nemo. She'd had him for about two years or so, and one day I came home from work to find my daughter hiding in the closet sobbing because Nemo had died. We let her cry and when she felt ready, we had a funeral service. Sammie didn't want to do a "burial at sea," so I dug a shallow grave near the rose bush out back. I played Mozart's "Requem" while we buried poor Nemo and marked his grave with a little concrete heart Sammie made as a project some months back. Very sad.

My apologies for avoiding this thread this long, but it's been a tough week with Moose at the vets. We thought we were going to lose him for sure, but it looks like he's turned the corner. In short, I can understand your loss and sympathize. Losing your little buddy is tough.

My apologies for avoiding this thread this long, but it's been a tough week with Moose at the vets. We thought we were going to lose him for sure, but it looks like he's turned the corner. In short, I can understand your loss and sympathize. Losing your little buddy is tough.

Thanks! I hope Moose is doing OK.

It's been weird the last few days. For some reason, Kudra always responded to whistling; not like a "come here" whistle, but even if I was just whistling a tune around the house. She would stir from a deep sleep, hiding in a bedroom closet, and come stumbling out, squinting and bitching up a storm. Now when I'm whistling (apparently I do that quite often), I get nothing. :(

I never knew I was such a softy until I got a cat.

Me too. I made the mistake of letting her live outside while I was at work. Apparently she lost a fight and got feline HIV. I've since moved, and they won't allow pets here. Like 7/4, when I move again I'll get another.