sold all my individual Miles Quintet discs today

CJ Shearn

and I ordered the Second Quintet box this evening...... finally decided I need it b/c I love that band so much. Now my question, I sold most of the single disc Miles Columbia's with Trane, but I kept the Legacy Edition "Round About Midnight" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" as I know the Miles/Trane box only collects the 2 tunes from those sessions he appears on. Now, when I buy the Miles/Trane set (probably next month), with that and RAM and "Someday My Prince Will Come" I will have all of what Miles and Trane recorded for Columbia correct? I have all the single CD's of the '63-4 studio and live material and of course the Blackhawk, Prestige Quintet and PN boxes.

Now, when I buy the Miles/Trane set (probably next month), with that and RAM and "Someday My Prince Will Come" I will have all of what Miles and Trane recorded for Columbia correct?

Yes.

I've been thinking about buying the Miles/Trane set but I never found a reason to

do that. As you mentioned it doesn't contain all of "Prince" and everything in

the box is easily available on individual discs (unlike the Second Quintet box).

Edited by Kyo

I sold my second quintet box to buy the individual discs. Hated the packaging of those boxes, and I find that I listen to albums less when they are in box form.

Yes, I find with this material I really want the individual albums. So much history for me with the lps! I solved this by getting (from Ken, or Gray, at great prices) all the lp facimile Sony cds of these albums, AND the box set. . . and sort of rotate these back and forth. :)

Edited by jazzbo

You'll also need the Carnegie Hall concert - one of my favourites! Teo is smoking, Mobley is on all the way through, and the "Concierto de Aranjuez" is probably better than the studio version! I really don't get it why that album (or rather double disc set, nowadays) isn't regarded higher!

Edited to add: I have all the Columbia boxes (plus "Someday", "Carnegie", "Blackhawk") and I like them quite some. True, they're not exactly comfortable to handle, but they include pretty good liners, usually (except for that one white-print-on-yellow page in the Silent Way box...)

Edited by king ubu

well, I decided to make the investment in the Second Quintet box as I love that material. Something really changed my view of Miles boxes, when I bought the Prestige Quintet box last year, hearing those albums, in session order was revelatory for me, and made me enjoy the music more. I ordered the longbox version of the 65-68 stuff BTW. I feel the sting of having sold KOB and Milestones, but I figure, hey, I will recoup that music with the Miles/Trane box. I will always keep my individual discs of "Someday My Prince Will Come", and the 63-4 stuff because well, for those I like having the original album form :)

I find that I listen to albums less when they are in box form.

True, they're not exactly comfortable to handle...

WD and Ubu, I recommend getting a carton of empty jewel cases! They're only a quarter each at the warehouse stores like BJ's. I keep each CD in its own jewel case and never fool with the boxes.

...when I bought the Prestige Quintet box last year, hearing those albums, in session order was revelatory for me, and made me enjoy the music more.

Me too, CJ! I like box sets for that reason.

yes when the Second Quintet box arrives I will rip the original track order for Miles Smiles to my MP3 player as well as ESP for when I go somewhere. Those two+ Nefertiti are my fav albums of the band. Looking forward to all the extra material too! I remember when I mentioned buying the remastered Miles discs, many here were like "go for the sets!" so it's kind of funny how some people are preferring the original album sequences. The metal spine sets are pretty, but not for regular use, it is so tough trying to read the booklets bound by the metal spines! IIRC, the Miles/Gil box had two booklets.

Edited by CJ Shearn

What's great about the Miles/Trane set is to hear that 1958 date in its entirety - that version of "Love for Sale" is terrific!

All of that session is on the "'58 Miles feat. Stella by Starlight" CD.

What's great about the Miles/Trane set is to hear that 1958 date in its entirety - that version of "Love for Sale" is terrific!

All of that session is on the "'58 Miles feat. Stella by Starlight" CD.

which is one of the old, usually rather bad-sounding, Sony/Legacy CDs with the blue frame, and which I never got... ;)

I will have all of what Miles and Trane recorded for Columbia correct?

No. Not if you count the Michel Legrand Legrand Jazz session for Columbia on which they both appeared.

Edited by Rosco

I have most of the boxes...and I find that I've listened to much less Miles since I parted with the single discs. But that's kind of normal with me...I just tend to not grab box sets off the shelf as often. Another reason why I've stopped purchasing box sets for the most part.

didn't know that, thanks Rosco. How is that session?

Terrific! It's a big band album of first order!

Originally on Philips, not on Columbia, I think.

legrand_jazz.jpg

Legrand Jazz was originally issued on Columbia CL-1250 Mono in 1958. Philips was Columbia's licensee in some European countries in those years.

didn't know that, thanks Rosco. How is that session?

Terrific! It's a big band album of first order!

Originally on Philips, not on Columbia, I think.

legrand_jazz.jpg

I've always tried to liike this one. . . but don't really. Just me!

Guest donald petersen

i am being......catty?

this commercial soulless french dude is playing with miles davis..have a little respect...he should take himself less seriously, etc...

scott walker? i will listen to michael bundt if i want to listen to some idiot wearing sunglasses indoors. but i don't. so i won't. so i will listen to patrick vian. because he is also french (like legrand) and i will assume he does not wear sunglasses indoors so i will appreciate him more.