Mainstream Records Japanese CD Reissues???

pasta

Guest donald petersen

the crazy lamont johnson album, a pleasant johnny coles, an overrated shelly manne, some decent roy haynes..the galper is a good one...a decent curtis fuller...those buddy terry ones are really good...some very very nice peter yellin albums...at least one excellent barry miles album...some good kynard...

can't wait.

I'm with Donald Peterson on this -especially looking forward to Buddy Terry's "Awareness." (And I have a soft spot for the Manne, which has been out on CD a couple of times already - it's a real period piece, and not just the cover!)

what dusty groove lists for upcoming mainstream cd reissues:

frank foster- loud minority

hal galper- guerilla band

charles kynard- self-titled

barry miles- white heat

blue mitchell- blues' blues AND last tango=blues

buddy terry- awareness

charles williams- self-titled

pete yellin- it's the right thing

YES!

:party:

Edited by pasta

Afrique

Jay Berliner

Hadley Caliman

Johnny Coles

Art Farmer

Frank Foster

Curtis Fuller

Hal Galper

Roy Haynes

Stan Hope

Dave Hubbard

Paul Jeffrey

Charles Kynard

Harold Land

Mike Longo

Shelly Manne

Charles McPherson

Barry Miles

Blue Mitchell

Reggie Moore

Night Blooming Jazzmen

Sonny Red

Buddy Terry

Charles Williams

John White

Pete Yellin

David Young

I WANT THEM ALL RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by pasta

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, has anyone ever seen a gatefold Mainstream lp jacket that is in good condition (well NM- or VG+++++++++++ for you Goldmine purists :g ). Most of the ones I own (all bought used) are beat to crap. Did they initially market these things to public libraries???

BTW, has anyone ever seen a gatefold Mainstream lp jacket that is in good condition (well NM- or VG+++++++++++ for you Goldmine purists :g ). Most of the ones I own (all bought used) are beat to crap. Did they initially market these things to public libraries???

The jackets of the Mainstream gatefold were made of slim cardboard (like some of the BN gatefolds from the 60s and 70s) and did not endure rough treatment as often was the case for those vinyls.

The Impulse gatefolds have withstood the time much better. Those were made of thickened cardboard.

The jackets of the Mainstream gatefold were made of slim cardboard (like some of the BN gatefolds from the 60s and 70s) and did not endure rough treatment as often was the case for those vinyls.

The Impulse gatefolds have withstood the time much better. Those were made of thickened cardboard.

The Unipak US ones are as you say, Brownie - though my copy of the Dave Hubbard is pretty good still. The ones issued in UK by Pye (more conventional design) are a bit better, I think. Still not as good as the Impulse or Atlantic gatefolds.

MG

Guest donald petersen

frank foster- loud minority

hal galper- guerilla band

charles kynard- self-titled

barry miles- white heat

blue mitchell- blues' blues AND last tango=blues

buddy terry- awareness

charles williams- self-titled

pete yellin- it's the right thing

i guess these all aren't available yet.

i was initially psyched when i heard about mainstream reissues but this isn't a great batch.

did anyone buy any yet?

i will probably grab the galper and the yellin and the terry. not even the best yellin! jeez.

how are the kynard and charles williams albums? i don't think i liked those blue mitchell sides nor the frank foster one. and i am listening to my LP of the barry miles and it is meh as i remembered.

• 1 month later...
Guest donald petersen

up to see what people think if anyone ordered any...i actually haven't ordered any CDs yet...

i think i decided i like "pure dynamite" better than "awareness" (because that long song on side 2 of "awareness" is sort of uninteresting angry early 70s blowing for no purpose, imo) so i am going to pass on the terry...i decided i like the yellin more than i remembered and am definitely going to order the CD version though i still like the other one better and would have though it had more sellable names on it too...the kynard i still haven't heard but might order i guess...the charles williams i suspect i wouldn't care for but i haven't heard...the blue mitchell albums dont do it for me even though the last tango one has some fun guitar stuff (songs are too short)...the frank foster i never liked because his compositions and tone have this unappealing desperate tone to my ears...and the galper i will definitely be getting on CD even though i feel like i shouldn't like it (crappy supporting cast, etc)-i really like galper's epiano tone on this one too. the barry miles i try to force myself to like but still don't think i need on CD. so i went from being excited to probably buying 2 of these guys on CD. maybe 3 if i decide on the kynard but i need more info on that one...

but overall i will hope next batch will have more inspiring choices.