Coltrane on a 1949 LA blues date?

Dan Gould

I picked up a pretty good compilation CD called Los Angeles Rhythm & Blues 1944-54 (Acrobat) and much to my surprise, on a track by vocalist/pianist Billy Valentine, "Beer Drinking Baby" John Coltrane is listed on tenor (along with Ray Brown on bass). I checked the jazz discography project site and they don't list this session, though it certainly sounds like it could be Coltrane. Guess I should send an email, although the insert doesn't give session info in terms of recording label.

What's definitely neat is that to my knowledge this has to be the earliest decent sounding recording of Trane, its not like he's a rumor in the sax section, that's him taking the sax solo. :tup

Or does someone know otherwise that this some other John Coltrane?

Edited by Dan Gould

This was recorded for Mercury.

It was included on the 8 CD Mercury 'Blues & Rhythym Story' set.

The notes state that it is JC.

It certainly sounds as if it could be but there does not seem to be any actual proof.

Edited by Steve Gray

This was recorded for Mercury.

It was included on the 8 CD Mercury 'Blues & Rhythym Story' set.

The notes state that it is JC.

It certainly sounds as if it could be but there does not seem to be any actual proof.

thanks for the info. What exactly do you mean by "proof"? I presume they put his name on it because there's some documentation. I definitely agree that it sounds plausibly like Coltrane given his age and the genre.

What exactly do you mean by "proof"? I presume they put his name on it because there's some documentation.

Sorry, I don't have any deep knowledge here.

All I meant was that the only reference to this that I am aware of is the personnel listing in the box stating that it is JC. I have never seen any other reference to this session elsewhere.

from Peter Losin's site:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Tapes.aspx?s=19491107

November 7, 1949 (15 items; TT = 20:42)

Unknown studio, Los Angeles

Source/Quality: SB (B-)

Billy Valentine (p, voc); John Coltrane (ts); Ray Brown (b); Gordon "Specs" Powell (d)

1 Studio chatter 0:10

2 Ain't Gonna Cry No More (B. Valentine) (take 2) 2:37

3 Studio chatter 0:07

4 Ain't Gonna Cry No More (B. Valentine) (take 3) 2:35

5 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 1 (fs)) 0:20

6 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 1) 3:06

7 Studio chatter 0:04

8 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 2 (fs)) 0:10

9 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 2) 2:59

10 Studio chatter 0:04

11 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 3) 3:01

12 Studio chatter 0:04

13 Beer Drinking Baby (B. Valentine) (take 1) 2:40

14 Studio chatter 0:05

15 Beer Drinking Baby (B. Valentine) (take 2) 2:40

i don't care too much for studio chatter usually, but in such a case it might actually help to nail down whether it really was Coltrane??? (depending on who chatters what)

from Peter Losin's site:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Tapes.aspx?s=19491107

November 7, 1949 (15 items; TT = 20:42)

Unknown studio, Los Angeles

Source/Quality: SB (B-)

Billy Valentine (p, voc); John Coltrane (ts); Ray Brown (b); Gordon "Specs" Powell (d)

1 Studio chatter 0:10

2 Ain't Gonna Cry No More (B. Valentine) (take 2) 2:37

3 Studio chatter 0:07

4 Ain't Gonna Cry No More (B. Valentine) (take 3) 2:35

5 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 1 (fs)) 0:20

6 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 1) 3:06

7 Studio chatter 0:04

8 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 2 (fs)) 0:10

9 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 2) 2:59

10 Studio chatter 0:04

11 I Want You to Love Me (B. Valentine) (take 3) 3:01

12 Studio chatter 0:04

13 Beer Drinking Baby (B. Valentine) (take 1) 2:40

14 Studio chatter 0:05

15 Beer Drinking Baby (B. Valentine) (take 2) 2:40

i don't care too much for studio chatter usually, but in such a case it might actually help to nail down whether it really was Coltrane??? (depending on who chatters what)

Well, especially if its the leader who says "quit messing around, Trane!"

:g

Lewis Porter has this as well, and does not seem to question whether it's Coltrane or not. FWIW, he says that Phil Schaap claims it's from 1950.

Of course, we now know that Porter's book is no longer the 'definitive' book on 'Trane, no matter what the critics might have claimed back then :P

As I like to say, it's the definitive bio on so-and-so, until the next definitive bio comes along.

Bertrand.

According to the notes in the Mercury box, the tenor player only plays on 'Beer Drinking Baby'

Billy Valentine I believe was a West Coaster, he replaced Charles Brown in Johnny Moore's 3 Blazers which I guess lends credence to it being a West Coast session.

What's definitely neat is that to my knowledge this has to be the earliest decent sounding recording of Trane, its not like he's a rumor in the sax section, that's him taking the sax solo. :tup

The 1946 Hawaii recordings are pretty decent-sounding, to my ears anyway, and we get a lot of Coltrane solos on them!

Wasn't aware of the status of those recordings. :blush:

you guys are still on this? let me reitterate again THERE IS NO WAY THIS IS JOHN COLTRANE. if it is so that john coltrane's EARLIEST KNOWN RECORDED MUSIC is from the west coast, then it can and should be argued that Coltrane's music is all one big giant extension of WEST COAST JAZZ and really coltrane brought west coast jazz back east with him to create his jazz sound on the east coast, but since his west coast music came out before his east coast music, the east coast music is an extension of his west coast music, thus west coast jazz is better

keep 'em comming Dan- a few board members and I have been collaborating by PM-ing for a while lately to help compile a thread called "Dan Gould All-Star Jams" where we will compile a quote list of your top 20 freakouts, from a wide range of categories ranging from baseball, politics, and of course, jazz. but to top it all off we need quotes from "the letter", which the search function has not helped out with yet.

since you have not freaked out on me the last few threads i will refrain from publishing at this time but I AIN'T NO IDIOT when it comes to WEST COAST JAZZ! (and a few other select things as well)

now lets all go back to our best behavior and practice organassimo-saftey- after all, michae cuscana is watching...........

There's little doubt that it's Trane. Peter Losin's listing reflects what has been in variou discographies since Porter referenced it in the chronology in his Trane bio. The only real question is the date. The chronology in the new disco will reflect that Trane toured California with Dizzy's small group in the Fall of 1950. Some of the material that Chris DeVito published on the Coltrane listserv several years back shows dates in San Francisco and Los Angeles from late September through the end of October. Speculation is that Trane did the Billy Valentine dates during that time. I believe Schaap's comments on this were made during the big WKCR Trane marathon a couple of years back.