Damn...at least a Rare Groove please

Soul Stream

Man, what I wouldn't give to have this little session as a nice Rare Groove to dig this summer...

Lou Donaldson Quintet

Lou Donaldson (as) Leon Spencer (org, p) Melvin Sparks (g) Jimmy Lewis (el-b) Buddy Caldwell (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 25, 1972

Songbird Blue Note rejected

Coonskin -

Our Day Will Come -

Warm Breeze -

What Now, My Love?

What is it with Lou Donaldson and rejected Blue Note sessions? His two last BN sessions are rejected too, including one with Lonnie Smith:

Lou Donaldson Sextet

Lou Donaldson (as) Herman Foster (p) Mark Elf (g) Bob Cranshaw (el-b) Willie Seaberry (d) Raymond Orchart (cga) Claudia Moore (vo)

A&R Studios, NYC, February 4, 1975

15345 (tk.5/6) Make Someone Happy Blue Note rejected

15346 (tk.2) Don't Take Your Love From Me -

15347 (tk.3) When I Think About You -

15342 (tk.2) Do Me Like You Do -

15343 (tk.2) What Now, My Love? -

15344 (tk.3) We'll Be Together Again -

Lou Donaldson Septet

Irvin Stokes (tp) Lou Donaldson (as) Lonnie Smith (org) Mark Elf (g) Bob Cranshaw (b) Willie Seaberry (d) Raymond Orchart (cga)

A&R Studios, NYC, February 5, 1975

Untitled Original, #1 Blue Note rejected

Untitled Original, #2 -

Untitled Original, #3 -

15339 (tk.3 or tk.8/9) Don't Worry About It George -

15340 (tk.2) Funky Mama -

15341 (tk.1/2) Misty -

Many rejected tracks on earlier Blue Note sessions too. But take a look at this Argo/Cadet session which is only listed as unissued! Something for a Mosaic Single?

Lou Donaldson and others

Lou Donaldson (as) and others

July, 1965

14121 Greasy Papa Chess unissued

14122 The Thing -

14123 Fried Buzzard -

14124 The Best Things In Life Are Free -

14125 Stella By Starlight -

14126 The Wig Blues -

14127 Just Friends -

14128 Over The Rainbow -

Lou Donaldson Septet

Irvin Stokes (tp) Lou Donaldson (as) Lonnie Smith (org) Mark Elf (g) Bob Cranshaw (b) Willie Seaberry (d) Raymond Orchart (cga)

A&R Studios, NYC, February 5, 1975

Untitled Original, #1 Blue Note rejected

Untitled Original, #2 -

Untitled Original, #3 -

15339 (tk.3 or tk.8/9) Don't Worry About It George -

15340 (tk.2) Funky Mama -

15341 (tk.1/2) Misty -

Wow, I've never seen this. Very interesing as I've never seen a date so late that was basically a straight ahead organ date. Love to hear Lonnie on Funky Mama!

Damn...I wish some of these lost groove sessions would get the kind of treatment that the recent Conns. have gotten.

How many formerly "rejected" sessions have actually been released? I imagine most of these were rejected for a good reason.

Guy

Well, actually...I think quite a few "rejected" sessions have come out. Even Michael Cuscuna has reevaluated things he had previously rejected. That's not even up to Lion's standards, which were considerabley higher. I think the soul/groove stuff doesn't even get the chance that something like Andrew Hill's "rejected" sessions get. Seriously, when was the last time Michael C. would have listened to this 1975 Lou date if ever?

Bob Porter's notes in the last reissue of "Black Talk" mention that Caldwell wasn't a professional musician, but Houston Person knew him from Newark, where he owned a convenience store. Musicians liked him because he had a feel for the music. Apparently he used only one conga drum.

Bob Porter's notes in the last reissue of "Black Talk" mention that Caldwell wasn't a professional musician, but Houston Person knew him from Newark, where he owned a convenience store. Musicians liked him because he had a feel for the music. Apparently he used only one conga drum.

I'm a huge Caldwell fan and un repentant "acid jazz" fan. His conga playing is so direct and intuitive, yet he has a really distinctive sound that just percolates over the beat. Check out prestige tracks like Message from the Meters and Super Bad where his sound dominates. My favourite line up from that era has to be Muhammad, Sparks (seen as great soloist but i've always preferred his rhythm playing), Leon Spencer, Grover Washington, Virgil Jones and the great, great, unsung Caldwell.

Guest donald petersen

dump, i know those notes and that is why i was surprised he knew how to play a whole kit!

maybe he didn't. i am curious to hear the results....

maybe that is why the session was rejected.