Jazz albums covers you like

mikeweil

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotta emphatically disagree with you, Scott. That one is horrible!

Guy

That's cool, Guy.

I just think it's really freaky (and not in a good way). And that's why I like it. It seems a total antithesis to what Coltrane would have wanted. And for some bizarre reason, that makes it really interesting to me. Not to mention how it is almost completely unrelated, stylistically, to the music within.

It looks more like something you'd find on a 80's Speed/Death metal album cover, not on a cover of a musician who was more about peace and enlightenment. And that completely fucked up juxtaposition will always win over a demented mind like mine.

Either way, you can't argue against the overall artistic beauty of the drawing.

Or, maybe you can............

Edited by Scott Dolan

I've gotta emphatically disagree with you, Scott. That one is horrible!

Guy

That's cool, Guy.

I just think it's really freaky (and not in a good way). And that's why I like it. It seems a total antithesis to what Coltrane would have wanted. And for some bizarre reason, that makes it really interesting to me. Not to mention how it is almost completely unrelated, stylistically, to the music within.

It looks more like something you'd find on a 80's Speed/Death metal album cover, not on a cover of a musician who was more about peace and enlightenment. And that completely fucked up juxtaposition will always win over a demented mind like mine.

Either way, you can't argue against the overall artistic beauty of the drawing.

Or, maybe you can............

Isn't a very similar album cover for a Sonny Stitt?

I definitely dig the Stellar Regions cover, however. I assume that's a painting, not a photograph?

Guy

Edited by Guy

08f02519.jpg

:wub:

That's the first album my father ever gave me! The second one was by the Ventures (Going to the Ventures' Dance Party!).

Unfortunately, I was about 5 years old and spent as much time playing the records as I did rolling them down the driveway to see how far they could get before falling over.

SD-1416 - Tonight At Noon - Charles Mingus [1964]

SD-1417 - Vibrations - Milt Jackson [1964]

SD-1418 - Stitt Plays Bird - Sonny Stitt [1964]

SD-1419 - Sound - John Coltrane [1964]

SD-1420 - A Quartet Is a Quartet - Various Artists [1964]