Buying lps FROM dummies

michel1969

The Dummy is always best source of LPs, right ? But thanks (because of) Popsike and Ebay, the dummy is getting rarer and rarer.

Anyway, if you find one, stick with your dummy, make friend with him, and get that mint "saxaphone colossus" from the widow ! Or marry her.... :rhappy:

Edited by Michel

I am not sure I follow this, are you saying its best to buy from the ignorant? I have mixed emotions if that's the case as my heirs will, in all likelihood, be disposing of my music. While no one will get rich from my collection I wouldn't want my children taken advantage of. I am curious as to what arrangements people have made for disposing of their records and cd's. If I were to die shortly my wife knows who to call to get a reasonable amount for my stuff. However, he's older than I am and I expect that I will need to get a Plan B at some point. I like to think that my kids would keep a few of my lp's but neither shows any interest in the format (at least my son tolerates jazz and blues well, though).

I can see your point, and I would not want my heirs to be taken advantage of either. I have made similar provisions like you have (except that my "trustee" is slightly younger than I am, yet not that much younger that a "Plan B" would be totally unnecessary).

Yet none of us really have a hand in all that after we are gone, and one thing is obvious: Unless your heirs invest the time to sell off each and every item they have inherited for the best price possible they are very likely to lose money (compared to what oyu once paid for each item in your collection), especially so if they tried to get the whole collection into the hands of a discerning collector (which to the unknowing often sounds like such a smart idea because "they will be able to appreciate the value"). Discerning those collectors may be, but have you ever heard of anybody of these paying the market price for each and every item in a sizable collection? Obviously if you buy an entire lot the price per item will be FAR less than if you sold each item separately (even more so if the discerning buyer happens to be a record DEALER). It's up to each individual concerned to decide if the lower overall price is worth the tradeoff against NOT having to invest the time and effort to sell each item separately.

Better not think about it, because you won't be able to do too much about it after you're gone - even if you attached a tag with the average collector's market value to each of your records before you bow out. ;)

And in the meantime, maybe it's not such a bad idea to get some really good purchases the same way - that might help reduce the eventual financial losses for your heirs. ;)

I read a fascinating account by legendary 78 collector Joe Bussard of how made his best ever find - a box of near mint "Black patsy" 78s under the bed of some old critter in a delapidated shack in the Appalachians. Each LP alone was worth thousands. Subsequently he has been offered 20 grand just for one LP. (he didn't sell) He found the guy's place by offering to pick him up when he thumbed a lift. They got into conversation and he effectively invited himself into his shack after the guy said in passing that he had a crate of pre war 78s that he never played - the kind of thing that sends shivers up the collector's spine. I wish I could find a link to the article but it seems to have been taken down. Anyhow I rememer it pretty well so I'll try to recall the best quotes. There was a great line when he dragged the box out from under the bed and saw the Black Patsy label, his heart stopping and beads of sweat hitting hte floor....."summoning up all the nonchalance that I could I asked "er, what do I owe you?" "

I love the idea of summoning up nonchalance! All he was thinking was "get the fucking LP's out of here and into the fucking car! QUICK!!" He also said he was paranoid to hear the old man's wife's shrill voice at any moment cry"Ebenezer! you're not going to sell my grand father's records now are you!"

He ended up paying 20 bucks for the whole crate!

Tired as it sounds, a record is worth what an individual will pay for it.

Many factors play: How bad does the "collector" want the LP, ETC......

Vinyl is a strange animal, ACTUAL people decide what they are willing to pay

for an album.

I do take exception to Clifford's "no record should go for over $100.00.

Heck, many records are pressed (not just jazz) i such small batches, that more folks want them

than were pressed. Supply and demand, man.

Dig it All-

---HB

Unless you're planning to kick the bucket quickly, there's no sense in labeling your LPs with prices, as they can fluctuate. The best you can do is to teach whoever you designate as your heirs to grade covers and vinyl by Goldmine standards, then do some research prior to offering things for sale.

One idea: post for sale lists in free bulletin boards like organissimo and allaboutjazz.com,

which should attract a bit of interest from serious collectors. But dealers have to make a markup and those that journey any great distance have to cover their cost of travel, so one can't expect miracles from them.

One LP I bought a few years ago at Jazz Record Center in NYC from Fred Cohen for $60 is supposed to be fairly rare (<100 copies exist), yet one recently sold on ebay for $6.95 + shipping. I guess the seller wasn't aware of its rarity...

The label's name was/is Black Patti, and they're 78s (as you say some of the time), not LPs (as you say the rest of the time!).

Two sources of tall tales and true of collectors, lucking out and/or "door knocking" through the south in the '50s and '60s are in the booklet that comes with the Yazoo double CD The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of and various essays and footnotes in Revenant's Charley Patton behemouth.

I read a fascinating account by legendary 78 collector Joe Bussard of how made his best ever find - a box of near mint "Black patsy" 78s under the bed of some old critter in a delapidated shack in the Appalachians. Each LP alone was worth thousands. Subsequently he has been offered 20 grand just for one LP. (he didn't sell) He found the guy's place by offering to pick him up when he thumbed a lift. They got into conversation and he effectively invited himself into his shack after the guy said in passing that he had a crate of pre war 78s that he never played - the kind of thing that sends shivers up the collector's spine. I wish I could find a link to the article but it seems to have been taken down. Anyhow I rememer it pretty well so I'll try to recall the best quotes. There was a great line when he dragged the box out from under the bed and saw the Black Patsy label, his heart stopping and beads of sweat hitting hte floor....."summoning up all the nonchalance that I could I asked "er, what do I owe you?" "

I love the idea of summoning up nonchalance! All he was thinking was "get the fucking LP's out of here and into the fucking car! QUICK!!" He also said he was paranoid to hear the old man's wife's shrill voice at any moment cry"Ebenezer! you're not going to sell my grand father's records now are you!"

He ended up paying 20 bucks for the whole crate!

Tired as it sounds, a record is worth what an individual will pay for it.

Many factors play: How bad does the "collector" want the LP, ETC......

Vinyl is a strange animal, ACTUAL people decide what they are willing to pay

for an album.

I do take exception to Clifford's "no record should go for over $100.00.

Heck, many records are pressed (not just jazz) i such small batches, that more folks want them

than were pressed. Supply and demand, man.

Dig it All-

---HB

This is the very same consideration I started to write and never posted.

With Mr. Nessa's approval, now I am safe to reveal it. :g