Lee Morgan: THE RAJAH

Man, I dig when the bad ass MFers on these Lee Morgan albums "go through the motions." "Ill Wind" is "going through the motions?"

With Ill Wind, I've never been a fan of Lee's muted sound, so that always gets in the way of my enjoyment of that track.

With the kind of music put out on a record like Cornbread, which to my ears is mostly just faceless hard bop heads, I think it's easy for anybody, even the greats, to lapse into routine. If it makes you feel better, I have similar problems with The Sidewinder for the same reason, although Hocus Pocus is one of my favorite Lee solos.

I'm a little biased because I've yet to hear a Lee Morgan album I didn't like. My favorites are Search For The New Land, The Gigolo, and Live At The Lighthouse. After that it's just varying shades of greatness.

u guys are all out of your gourds: the rajah is a standout cause the 1st two tracks are both about 15 min long and feature extended solos from lee and hank. both songs are some of the best they recorded- the 1st being a cal massey tune the 2nd being the awesome title cut by lee-- throw in a duke pearson song and a bossa nova and you have one of the best bn albums ever.

Now, didn't The Rajah have one of those goofball LT-series covers?

I'll try to find it on LP if I can. I've got a number of 60s Mogie dates, but could always use some more fine ones.

Nope. First issue was one of those DMM lp issues with hand tinted covers. It was in the same release as Hank's Far Away Lands.

I'm a little biased because I've yet to hear a Lee Morgan album I didn't like. My favorites are Search For The New Land, The Gigolo, and Live At The Lighthouse. After that it's just varying shades of greatness.

Also my favorites along with 'Lee Morgan'. 'Infinity' and 'Lee-Way' are also pretty great.

'

Cornbread & Dippin' are about as good as that particular thing ever got.

And that's not opinion, that's fact! :g :g :g :g :g

While logic makes it's demands, emotion lends it's voice. You'd better have those five smiley faces on there!

Another vote for Cornbread, one of my favorite Morgan sessions. The Rajah has a very nice tune selection...and certainly you can't really fault the lineup...but it's just not "quite" there. Not bad, just routine.

Of course you're talking to someone whose favorite Morgan album is Charisma....

It was released for the first time in 1984 with a "real" cover (well, not an LT cover) when they started putting out those DMM remasters by McMaster. I've still got mine.

nbn4%20182_thumb.jpg

nbn4%20183_thumb.jpg

My favs (of the ones I've heard) are Search for the New Land, Infinity, Lee-Way and his sideman appearance of GM III's Evolution. An honorable mention for his appearance on McLean's Jacknife (whom he shares the trumpet chair with Charles Tolliver). Oh, and I do like the Sidewinder too.

It was released for the first time in 1984 with a "real" cover (well, not an LT cover) when they started putting out those DMM remasters by McMaster. I've still got mine.

nbn4%20182_thumb.jpg

nbn4%20183_thumb.jpg

Yep...................that's it!

• 6 years later...