• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Just found out they changed the Maupin cover art <_< :

31lYGnXPppL._SS500_.jpg

I found the collage so charming ..... 1043.jpg

That's blasphemy.

Blasphemy to jazz fans , but did Eicher and co. worry that the original cover might be blasphemous to Hindus and Buddhists ?

Now granted , the lotus is associated with divinity , and Bennie is not a divine or sacred being , but neither is he depicted seated in lotus position , and anyway , isn't it only the Abrahamic religions that take such offense ? What else could possibly have motivated the change to that horrid cover ?

• 1 month later...

I'm so pissed off that they waited until Dewey was dead to reissue this that I can't see straight. This record is so brilliant that it could only have helped him in his career had it been reissued in his lifetime. Dewey asked them to reissue it several times, and they always blew him off.

ECM is one fucked-up label, and Eicher is a jerk.

Bertrand.

At least Bennie can see this reissued in his lifetime.

Dewey told me all the excuses they had and how they said they would never reissue it. That's just nasty.

Charles Eubanks was there when we talked about it as well. I hope one day to further discuss this matter with him, and possibly with Mark Helias as well.

Bertrand.

maybe ECM thinks they will get more middle of the road mellow gentle ECM pat metheny keith jarrett listeners to purchase on a whim the maurpin if they removed the black man with beard and sunglasses from the cover and gave it a bland non-threatening cover to look like any old dave holland album, etc.

This might have some truth to it... Eicher has done it before. One of the worst examples is Dave Liebman's DRUM ODE... Compare:

2756_6382.jpg

E1046g.gif

I don't know, to me that Jewel In The Lotus "collage" cover always defined that LP. Regarding the music - I think I've always enjoyed the actual Mwandishi material more, not that this is bad or anything.

1043.jpg

The re-designed covers show that corporate identity as it is now is more important than the more diversified it was back then ...

You certainly can't blame ECM for that development, that's rather all-encompassing nowadays... and the bad thing is that in music business it seems to only fasten the demise of the big corporations... and you can blame ECM for jumping that train, for sure!

Anyway, still waiting for Sam Rivers' "Contrasts"! (There the original cover should be ok enough to be re-used, I assume...)

Listening to "The Struggle Continues" right now for the first time. I'm really enjoying it! Some of the tunes on here are surprisingly "straight ahead". Now, I'm sure I haven't heard as much of Dewey as many of you here, but based on the stuff I've heard with Ornette, Keith Jarrett, Old and New Dreams, and some of his sessions as a leader, this is one of his most accessible recordings overall. Not that that's a bad thing at all! Just Dewey in a different light than what I'm used to hearing from him. I'm looking forward to listening to this one much more. Definitely recommended, especially if you're new to Dewey or if you're generally averse to more "adventurous" jazz.

Anyways, "The Jewel and the Lotus" is shipping today from CD Universe. Can't wait to hear that one!