Mulligan, Patton, Chambers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the top of the CJB page, it says it's a limited edition of 5000 copies, but at the bottom, it says this:

In collaboration with The Verve Music Group, the Mulligan set is expected to be available at retail stores outside North America shortly after its initial September, 2003 release. These sets are part of the limited edition of 7,500.

Anyone know which it really is? I suspect 7500 might be the right number, but...

I have simply GOT to stop hanging with you people! As if I haven't spent enough on music over the last two months, now you've got me, Mr. "Is it last chance yet, or just getting low?" preordering an unreleased set. This has simply got to stop! :angry:

I'm holding a grudge against all of you until the Mulligan set arrives. Then all will be forgiven... :g

Pryan, I think you'll really enjoy the whole Chambers box - I have all that stuff, but with old U.S. editions of BASS ON TOP and the Coltrane etc stuff, I'll probably still take the plunge. Great music, and my personal favorite after the sublime BASS ON TOP is the QUINTET date that was out as a Conn a few years back.

I just looked at the discography for the Mulligan set and it includes the Live at the Village Vanguard that came out last year in the Verve LPR series. Since Verve obviously knew (how could they not, unless one department is not talking to one another) that the Mosaic would be coming out, how can the Verve LPR make any sense (unless it was some sort of marketing ploy to whet people's appetite for the at the time yet to be announced Mosaic). There must be some method to this madness.

Edited by Brad

I wish the Patton and Chambers sets had something to add. I prefer the archival spirit of Mosaic to the convenient re-reissue 3-pack. The Carmell Jones was very welcome - there should be more like that. The Grachan Moncur was the least creditable since it offered one album new-to-CD as a draw to those who had the other titles. At least the Patton and Chambers, by offering nothing new, aren't as cynical as the Moncur.

Still, the CJB is a good and welcome release so perhaps I shouldn't moan!

I just looked at the discography for the Mulligan set and it includes the Live at the Village Vanguard that came out last year in the Verve LPR series. Since Verve obviously knew (how could they not, unless one department is not talking to one another) that the Mosaic would be coming out, how can the Verve LPR make any sense (unless it was some sort of marketing ploy to whet people's appetite for the at the time yet to be announced Mosaic). There must be some method to this madness.

We all know that Verve is rather stingy with licensing music to Mosaic for these sets. There was some discussion about this before, and I tend to agree with the possibility that they released the LPR, saw that it didn't do well, and THEN agreed to license the material to Mosaic. Seems pretty reasonable.

I wish the Patton and Chambers sets had something to add. I prefer the archival spirit of Mosaic to the convenient re-reissue 3-pack. The Carmell Jones was very welcome - there should be more like that. The Grachan Moncur was the least creditable since it offered one album new-to-CD as a draw to those who had the other titles. At least the Patton and Chambers, by offering nothing new, aren't as cynical as the Moncur.

Still, the CJB is a good and welcome release so perhaps I shouldn't moan!

I love the concept of Mosaic Select as a way of getting out some obscure artists/material in easily affordable 3 packs. I guess for me that Carmell Jones and Randy Weston fit the bill perfectly. As for the Moncur, Green, Patton, and Chambers - I've got most of the material so while I'm picking them up for what I don't have - I'm not as excited about their release.

Looking forward to the Amy and I think it was Bob Cooper. I'd like to hear more PJ stuff and wish they'd dig into the Roulette vaults a little more. I'm still hoping for a Don Pullen and/or George Adams and have put off picking up material by these guys through ebay in hopes of someday being rewarded.

I know there was talk of a Tyner Mosaic, but a select of his post 1985 material might be nice too

David, the Patton set has "That Certain Feeling" -- which has NEVER been on cd, here or Japan. And for those who didn't buy the Japan issue of "The Way I Feel" and "Oh Baby", here's a first time opportunity.

You are right Stephan, so it is worth correcting me!

However it also sort of bears out my point, that the marketing on some of these sets is as much about getting people to rebuy things they already have and to lure them with an album or two they don't. Also lets be aware that single disc releases of the previously unreleased titles may follow.

This Patton set is aimed directly at people who already have some of the material. Those people don't get very much extra because the set is not in any way 'complete'.

Anyway, its down to preference. Personally I wouldn't (usually...) buy a set just to get one LPs worth. In any case when such sets are released it often releases vinyl copies on to the market!