John Coltrane INTERPLAY up for pre-order

Big Al

I've got the Big Box, bulky, but decent sounding. Frankly I'd buy instead some expensive "audiophile" vinyl reissues, like Hoffman's 45rpm, or the original pressings. The trap of "digitally remastered" got me once with RVG's cds, it will never got me again, but if you don't have the Big Box, well...the music is great.

I bought the 16-disc box as well, but found that it's bulk meant that I never listened to it. So I've been getting these smaller boxes and am much more pleased. More easily digested music, and the sound is better. But more power to anyone who can dive into a 16-cd box.

I have the 16 disc box too, but the version that zweitausendeins was selling (CHEAP - I think 29.99 Euros?) a few years back. It's not big and bulky, IMO. Between that and couw's excellent booklet, I'm set.

I've got the Big Box, bulky, but decent sounding. Frankly I'd buy instead some expensive "audiophile" vinyl reissues, like Hoffman's 45rpm, or the original pressings. The trap of "digitally remastered" got me once with RVG's cds, it will never got me again, but if you don't have the Big Box, well...the music is great.

I bought the 16-disc box as well, but found that it's bulk meant that I never listened to it. So I've been getting these smaller boxes and am much more pleased. More easily digested music, and the sound is better. But more power to anyone who can dive into a 16-cd box.

I have the 16 disc box too, but the version that zweitausendeins was selling (CHEAP - I think 29.99 Euros?) a few years back. It's not big and bulky, IMO. Between that and couw's excellent booklet, I'm set.

For my sight I prefer the Big Box, expecially for the booklet: I am getting too old for reading cd-size booklets.

About sound, you may be right, I never heard any other digital re masterings.

About bulky, I bought the original pressings of the sessions I like more, a thing I often did with BIG BULKY SETS, MOSAIC included.

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I got the old 16-disc box in the blowout sale. Some of the finest early CD era mastering I've ever heard.

I have the set on now. It's really a beautifully done box, and it was $45.97 shipped for a five CD set from Amazon. In addition to the Dameron, Elmo Hope, and Ray Draper sessions, it's also missing the Red Garland sessions. Hope the third box with those sessions sees the light of day. This and 'Fearless Leader' were obviously labors of love.

I'm also enjoying this set. Just as lovingly assembled as Fearless Leader, but I actually enjoy the music on this set more than the FL set. But that's just me: I enjoy jam sessions like the kind Prestige was putting out on a regular basis.

So glad I got the old 16-disc box in the blowout sale. Some of the finest early CD era mastering I've ever heard.

I have the set on now. It's really a beautifully done box, and it was $45.97 shipped for a five CD set from Amazon. In addition to the Dameron, Elmo Hope, and Ray Draper sessions, it's also missing the Red Garland sessions. Hope the third box with those sessions sees the light of day. This and 'Fearless Leader' were obviously labors of love.

These are not missing, as these are "sideman" dates, as opposed to Coltrane taking part in jam sessions (which is the focus of this set).

Glad to hear it's a nice box, will have to get it eventually!

And here's more hope they'll really bring the third (sideman) box, too!

Why do a Coltrane sideman box? The Miles sessions are out already, as is Dameron's date as RVG. The Draper is not that exciting; the Garlands might see a separate reissue. The Hope is nice - but I'd rather hope for another Fresh Sound et al. combined reissue.

Remember, the new people at Concord are not as systematic as they appear to be.

These are not missing, as these are "sideman" dates, as opposed to Coltrane taking part in jam sessions (which is the focus of this set).

The context of the discussion WAS what would be on the sideman box set. "Missing" didn't indicate that it was supposed to be on the co-leader box set, rather that it was left to go on the sideman box set. I really would like to see this set. Would be much more efficient that a bunch of loose pieces, it's up to each person to decide what's "not that exciting", and the presentation is so wonderful on these sets.

The context of the discussion WAS what would be on the sideman box set. "Missing" didn't indicate that it was supposed to be on the co-leader box set, rather that it was left to go on the sideman box set. I really would like to see this set. Would be much more efficient that a bunch of loose pieces, it's up to each person to decide what's "not that exciting", and the presentation is so wonderful on these sets.

So you were replying to my own post #16, i guess - sorry, wasn't aware of that.

Anyway, as I said, I love the "Fearless Leader" box for it's great presentation, and I will want to get this new one, too, eventually... might make a nice x-mas gift...

• 1 month later...

Although I have all of the music already - on the strenght of the first box I just ordered this one... bn.com has a 15 coupon (X7A7N3M it was for me - got it by mail - valid for only one item, not a whole order, and only to Dec. 13, I think). Anyway, 49$ all inclusive (cheapest shipping option, 8.48$), quite a deal, I'd say, with the $ worth sh*t! Looking forward to getting it (after having to bury plans to get it from someone as an x-mas gift...)

• 7 months later...

I've always liked the Dakar session, though the original OJC, at least on my system, sounds fairly boxed in. Is the version in this set considerably better?

I wonder if eMusic will pick this one up. That's how I got the Fearless Leader set.