Joe Henderson 8CD Milestone Set For $28.99

sidewinder

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received my copy earlier today in the mail. Presently listening to disc 1. Unfortunately I don't have much time tonight beyond this disc. So far, I'm quite excited in what I'm hearing. Come on guys, post your impressions here. I know alot of you took advantage of this bargain of the year. I'm glad I did. :tup

i am surprised people are just talking about the music now...much of the set has been available as solos for years. it's not like this is new music.

i sold the set because i don't like box sets but wish i hadn't just because we might never see a single disc of black narcissus which is one of the top albums in the box. does anyone else hear a weird edit in "the elements"? i don't remember which tune-1 or 2.

Just speaking for myself, of course, but to me, while I've had some Henderson albums (Blue Note and later stuff, 80s and 90s, MPS, Verve, State of the Tenor etc.), I never owned any of the Milestone albums. I knew two of the early ones and recently got the Lighthouse Fantasy CD, but had nothing else, so yes, it's indeed new. This was always a very expensive set and to many (not to you, though, I assume!) the late 60s and 70s aren't their favourite era of jazz, so I guess a lot did similar to me and only now went for this box when it was available for such a good prize...

Anyway, I started listening to the first two albums, I think the first is good (the Penguin guys say the tunes are too short... not a problem to me) and the second (the quartet dates with Kenny Barron and - rather unexpectedly - Don Friedman - are mighty fine! Looking forward to get into this set slowly.

I too have succumbed and ordered a set so I've been doing a little listening to the one disc I have (used to have a UK twofer of Tetragon and another album which I traded at some point seem to remember it was incomplete?)

All I have is The Elements which I'm sure divides folks but I've always liked it and Alice's harp alway hits a note with me. If there's a criticism is that Joe is buried in the texture? Love it anyway

Waiting for the box now...

i am surprised people are just talking about the music now...much of the set has been available as solos for years. it's not like this is new music.

It seems like most here slept on Joe's albums back then. I started buying all the LPs as soon as they were out from a certain point on, but sold them when the CD reissues came, and then the box set. I think Keepnews did a good job putting Joe in many different contexts, as his live gigs were pretty much the same over the years - he was touring Germany regularly back then.

does anyone else hear a weird edit in "the elements"? i don't remember which tune-1 or 2.

Yes - I thought there was an audible edit. I wonder why Keepnews did'nt restore the complete track for the box.

I came to most all of this music more or less in its time and have long held most of it regard ranging from the highest (...In Japan is, along with Inner Urge & In 'N Out, my favorite Joe album as far as pure tenor playing goes) to quite high (the early 70s stuff w/Alice & Woody & all the Miles-ish Rhodes-y stuff is very much "of its time", but oh well about that, what isn't, and besides, everybody's playing, so what's the problem?) to just ok (Black Miracle always seemed kinda...cop-out-ish to me, but then again, my LP was plowed and it sounds a lot better on a clean CD).

So I've heard 'em all, actually had all but a few on LP, got the box to get 'em all on CD under one roof. HEckuva deal at that price.

I gotta think it's gotta be weird for people coming to this stuff only having heard the BNs & Verves & etc. Electric piano! Vamps! Percussions! Long, semi-free-ish jams! Chants! Overdubbing! ALICE COLTRANE! Oh the terror! Oh the horrror! :g :g :g :g :g

But for some of us, this stuff made a lot of sense then, and it still does. What didn't make as much sense, as good as it was on its own terms, was all the Verve "concept" albums. They just seemed a bit retro, and other than the Jobim side, I'll take the best Milestones over any of the Verves.

And I'll take the best Milestones with the best Blue Notes.

The album I was least familiar with is the one that I'm really digging the most - Power To The People.

Damn if I know how I let this one (mostly) slip by for so long, but better late than never...

Holy crap, Jim. That is THE best Joe Henderson album ever!! Or at least just as good as ANYTHING the man ever recorded.

Yes I'm biased. "Power to the People" was one of the first two Joe albums I ever had (along with Mode for Joe).

Still, I solidly maintain that "Power to the People" is one of Joe's very finest hours. Money back guarantee.

I heard "Power to the People" on AFN Radio when it was released, but never saw a copy in a local shop at the time. Bellaphon started distributing Milestone along with the other Fantasy group labels, but not from the label's start, and the earlier titles were rare over here. (I remember Milestone was distributed by Audiofidelity before Fantasy took over.)

I must admit I found the funky or otherwise experimental LPs like Canyon Lady, Multiple, The Elements, Black Miracle, more interesting than the neo-bop stuff he did live. That was what I was into at the time. I still like them.

Just finished my first spin of the whole set. I had the occasion of buying it a few years ago, didn't because the few reviews i saw were not very positive. Then, this deal happened and i read the dythirambic comments from the members of this board. So, i took a chance.

Gotta say that the electric stuff with the piano ain't exactly my cup of tea. However, regardless of my lack of appreciation for this style, i still enjoyed it and liked the majority of the numbers. Thought the last cd was great, probably my favourite of the whole bunch. Although i wouldn't rave about it the way some people here do, it deserved better reviews than what i saw back then.

Gotta say that i prefer his Blue Note work though.

Today I'm cooking up a batch of English pale ale on the stove top so I have a lot of down time to listen to these CDs. I had already listened to 2 or 3 but I grabbed them out of order and not from the case I was thinking of so whatever I thought I was listening to according to the book wasn't. Today I'm starting over.

My initial impressions - A lot of this music is more "out" than what I usually listen to so a lot of this is challenging to me. I liked all of disc 1 which contained "The Kicker" and most of "Tetragon". With this and disc 2 when things were moving out, I could could follow it and kind of see where they were going and what they were doing. With repeated listens I'm pretty sure it would grow on me more but I did enjoy it. I can't say that I enjoyed "The Bead Game" or "You Don't Know What Love Is" which opened the 2nd disc. The blending and mixing of horns with Lee Konitz on the latter was kind of interesting for me at first but quickly became too tiresome and meandering for me. The rest of the disc was enjoyable and I was a bit surprised by the Nat Adderley material being more out and abstract than I expected. I'm currently enjoying "At The Lighthouse" on disc 3. Woody Shaw is a great bonus on this one.

I should be moving on to disc 4 with "Pursuit Of Blackness" and "Joe Henderson In Japan" by the time my ale starts to boil.

Finished disc three and particularly enjoyed the funky "If You're Not Part Of The Solution, You're Part Of The Problem".

I don't know what the general opinion of "In Pursuit Of Blackness" is from the 4th disc, but I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the whole of disc four with that and the beginning of "Joe Henderson In Japan".

Right now I'm into disc 5 and "Black Is The Color" which I'm on the fence about. I'm not a big fan of electric piano but it seems to be working in this context. This stuff is a bit challenging for me.

Time to start chilling the boiled ale (wort) to get it ready for the fermenter. I love the smell of boiling malt and hops in the kitchen!

Edited by mikelz777

All right, my English ale is safely in the fermenter and now's the worst part, the clean up. :(

Unfortunately, I can't say I enjoyed "Black Is The Color". I wasn't real big on "Multiple" either but I really enjoyed "Tress-Cun-Deo-La" off that one. I'm enjoying "Canyon Lady" so far but I think I'm Joe Henderson-ed out for today. I'll have to leave discs 7 and 8 for another day.

I learned a while ago (at the start of my Mosaic habit) that to try to listen to a whole box at once is dangerous - regardless of how good it is. It tends to be just too much of one artist at one time. I usually take these things at about 2 disks/listening session. And spread out the sessions over time.

my set doesn't have a black mark through the barcode

:ph34r:

No black mark on mine also.

Right now I'm listening to disc 2 of this set. This disc starts out alittle out there. Especially the Lee Konitz number. I do really enjoy the Nat Adderley selections. Joe Zawinul really cooks here. Jeremy Steig playing on the track "The Scavenger" is pretty interesting. Pretty advanced stuff for a Nat Adderley session. The "Power To The People" recordings with Herbie on electric piano I dig. Hey, if you enjoy late 60's Miles there really isn't much of an issue here. Mike Lawrence on trumpet is a name on not familar with. I really enjoy his contributions as well. Very interesting stuff.

Edited by Tom 1960