British jazz reissues

RogerF

any love for Henry Cow out there? Recently scored the big Cow Box Redux set (18CDs & a DVD plus three packed booklets)

I've enjoyed all of their studio albums (LPs) since the 70s but Chris Cutler has done a magnificent job of piecing this together with the help of other cows - it's basically a distillation of the three box sets that were released over last couple of decades plus newly added material.

Another of the wonderful early 70s UK/euro experimental (& heavily political) bands where jazz met rock met folk met avant, existing from 71 to 78.

Chris Cutler's ReR Megacorp site carries a large range of esoteric/experimental music (not just Henry Cow/Chris Cutler/Fred Frith etc)

https://www.rermegacorp.com/

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, romualdo said:

any love for Henry Cow out there? Recently scored the big Cow Box Redux set (18CDs & a DVD plus three packed booklets)

I've enjoyed all of their studio albums (LPs) since the 70s but Chris Cutler has done a magnificent job of piecing this together with the help of other cows - it's basically a distillation of the three box sets that were released over last couple of decades plus newly added material.

Another of the wonderful early 70s UK/euro experimental (& heavily political) bands where jazz met rock met folk met avant, existing from 71 to 78.

Chris Cutler's ReR Megacorp site carries a large range of esoteric/experimental music (not just Henry Cow/Chris Cutler/Fred Frith etc)

https://www.rermegacorp.com/

I remember the London record store run by Chris Cutler - 'Revolution Records' I think it was called. Without doubt the weirdest record shop I ever visited - didn't recognise any of the artists and exited in frustration after 10 minutes scratching my head. Zero bop/hard bop to be found. More like a modernistic art exhibit than a shop. No doubt somewhere hidden there was a stack of Sun Ra Saturn LPs..

Edited by sidewinder

14 hours ago, romualdo said:

I got their second album when it was new (1974?), and played the heck out of it!

I got that box set for Christmas '22.  I have listened to the first two discs, and was just thinking this week that it was time to open up the next one.  

I saw Frith with Skeleton Crew in Atlanta in '85.  I loved it.  My date hated it!

On 2/16/2024 at 5:17 AM, Roger Farbey said:

Yes, Ichnos is given a double page spread in Labyrinth. I agree it really needs to be reissued just as Oxley's two albums for CBS were reissued on CD some years ago.

yeah, I know someone who has the master tapes though I'm unsure of their condition. They were salvaged from a home or outbuilding of Oxley's that was being sold. If anyone can do a proper, legitimate reissue of this record, it's the person I know.

On 2/16/2024 at 9:03 PM, sidewinder said:

Looks like it. Interestingly though the RSD 'Reflections' will be put out by Decca and with new notes by Tony Higgins.

I have a copy of this flawed record. The slimmed down tracks work best. Will be interesting to read Tony Higgins’ take on it. I guess someone thought an easy listening record was the best use of Amancio’s talent. Unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, adh1907 said:

I have a copy of this flawed record. The slimmed down tracks work best. Will be interesting to read Tony Higgins’ take on it. I guess someone thought an easy listening record was the best use of Amancio’s talent. Unfortunately. 

Yes, same here. I like it - but it is primarily an 'easy listening' type of album as you say. Must have been Dennis Preston's idea, doing a 'Roger Whittaker'.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 7:32 AM, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, I know someone who has the master tapes though I'm unsure of their condition. They were salvaged from a home or outbuilding of Oxley's that was being sold. If anyone can do a proper, legitimate reissue of this record, it's the person I know.

it's not CvsD?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slow to catch on as usual, just noticed this has been reissued and is on Dusty Groove's (USA) "Coming Soon" listardley_neil_symphonyo_101b.jpg

Also, I finally ordered Keith Tippett's How Long This Time after fence-sitting and missing a couple of low-postage chances.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

I'm slow to catch on as usual, just noticed this has been reissued and is on Dusty Groove's (USA) "Coming Soon" listardley_neil_symphonyo_101b.jpg

Also, I finally ordered Keith Tippett's How Long This Time after fence-sitting and missing a couple of low-postage chances.

I didn't realise that was due either. It's a great album. Extra track too, will I have to have that to complement the LP? Hmm...

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Huh. I have the old CD reissue of Amaranths, which sounds fine to my ears.

Although I have a copy of the original Regal LP, the Dusk Fire CD was very well done and gets just as much play, if not more. I'll pass.

The extra track is presumably the tongue in cheek version of the National Anthem, not very long and included on the Dusk Fire CD.

According to Discogs, 'Wah Wah' did limited vinyl runs of this one in 2012 and 2018 (I think I remember seeing it in the shops) so presumably this is just another run. There are reports on there that the sound appears to be somewhat compressed.

Edited by sidewinder

This just appeared. Don't know if it counts as jazz, maybe "jazz-rock". I'd be tempted, but have recently spent too much on other things.

colosseum-elegy-cover-lrg.jpg?quality=80

Blurb courtesy DG (which one might have guessed 😉 )

A landmark batch of work from the British jazz scene – the complete early run of recordings from Colosseum, maybe the greatest jazz-rock group of their time! The combo grew out of earlier work in the beat group generation – informed strongly by American jazz and R&B, but already on the forefront of the new prog generation – driven by the mighty drums of Jon Hiseman and topped with the sax and reed work of Dick Heckstall-Smith – both fantastic players who really gave the group their grounding! The lineup shifts a bit throughout this set, and maybe gets even better as the records go on – with later work from Chris Farlowe on vocals, whose soulful style is a perfect match to the groove-heavy sound of the group. Back in the days when we didn't like prog at all, and were more focused on jazz and funk, we still had a very soft spot for Colosseum – and it's no surprise that some of these records are always found in the collections of funk fanatics around the world. The 6CD set features the full albums Those About To Die Salute You, Valentyne Suite, Grass Is Greener, Daughter Of Time, and Colosseum Live – almost all of which are presented here with bonus tracks – alongside a full bonus CD of rare studio and live recordings too! There's also a huge booklet of notes – and this package is the comprehensive take on this legendary group.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

This just appeared. Don't know if it counts as jazz, maybe "jazz-rock". I'd be tempted, but have recently spent too much on other things.

colosseum-elegy-cover-lrg.jpg?quality=80

Blurb courtesy DG (which one might have guessed 😉 )

A landmark batch of work from the British jazz scene – the complete early run of recordings from Colosseum, maybe the greatest jazz-rock group of their time! The combo grew out of earlier work in the beat group generation – informed strongly by American jazz and R&B, but already on the forefront of the new prog generation – driven by the mighty drums of Jon Hiseman and topped with the sax and reed work of Dick Heckstall-Smith – both fantastic players who really gave the group their grounding! The lineup shifts a bit throughout this set, and maybe gets even better as the records go on – with later work from Chris Farlowe on vocals, whose soulful style is a perfect match to the groove-heavy sound of the group. Back in the days when we didn't like prog at all, and were more focused on jazz and funk, we still had a very soft spot for Colosseum – and it's no surprise that some of these records are always found in the collections of funk fanatics around the world. The 6CD set features the full albums Those About To Die Salute You, Valentyne Suite, Grass Is Greener, Daughter Of Time, and Colosseum Live – almost all of which are presented here with bonus tracks – alongside a full bonus CD of rare studio and live recordings too! There's also a huge booklet of notes – and this package is the comprehensive take on this legendary group.

This has all been out many times previously on CD, including good-sounding versions with many bonus cuts on Esoteric (the same Cherry Red family label doing the box set here).  This box just bundles those Esoteric releases, which I already own, but I may well spring for it anyways, as the boxes they do have beautiful presentation and very generous pricing.  Great music.

Not a reissue but I see that coming up here in the UK is a tribute concert in memory of the late Bobby Wellins, to be held at University of Chichester on 12 April, I think.

The first half will be a viewing of the film 'Dreams Are Free' starring Bobby and second half a live performance of the Wellins Quartet lineup featuring Mornington Lockett in place of Wellins.

A bit of a drive but - very tempting !

• 4 weeks later...

been listening to Harry Beckett's "Joy Unlimited" from 1974 on the Cadillac (John Jack) label

A strong session with Ray Russell's guitar playing a real standout - the last track Not Just Tomorrow showcases Russel really "going for it"

Highly recommended imho

4 minutes ago, romualdo said:

been listening to Harry Beckett's "Joy Unlimited" from 1974 on the Cadillac (John Jack) label

A strong session with Ray Russell's guitar playing a real standout - the last track Not Just Tomorrow showcases Russel really "going for it"

Highly recommended imho

Great album. I remember hearing a couple of tracks on BBC radio at the time it came out and thinking 'gotta get that'. The thing was, I never could find a copy and it was many years until I picked up a very good original. The reissue has been extremely well done as well.

I don't think Harry ever did a recording that was less than good !

5 minutes ago, romualdo said:

you're right there - everything I have him on (his sessions & as sideman) shines

Last time I saw him live was in that Mingus tribute group with Chris Biscoe. He must have been at least 80 but was still playing very nicely. Apparently Harry was several years older than his publicised age.

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Last time I saw him live was in that Mingus tribute group with Chris Biscoe. He must have been at least 80 but was still playing very nicely. Apparently Harry was several years older than his publicised age.

a contemporary of Joe Harriott though a bit younger

12 minutes ago, romualdo said:

a contemporary of Joe Harriott though a bit younger

For full coverage of Beckett's recording career, the book by John Thurlow of Jazz In Britain is very useful. Long since sold out though, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

For full coverage of Beckett's recording career, the book by John Thurlow of Jazz In Britain is very useful. Long since sold out though, unfortunately.

also good coverage in Wickes "Innovations In British Jazz"

On 4/20/2024 at 11:59 AM, sidewinder said:

Great album. I remember hearing a couple of tracks on BBC radio at the time it came out and thinking 'gotta get that'. The thing was, I never could find a copy and it was many years until I picked up a very good original. The reissue has been extremely well done as well.

I don't think Harry ever did a recording that was less than good !

Tangentially, but related to HB, the recent Soft Machine 7" single features an excellent version of Harry's composition The Dew At Dawn. He was as good a composer as he was a trumpeter, and is very much missed.