I'm going to be a daddy...

Congratulations Jim and the misses!

My son just turned 2. I was one of those guys who thought I'd never have kids. Heck, I'd never even held a baby before. I was terrified. When my wife and I took parenting classes at our hospital, I couldn't do anything right. I couldn't wrap the dolls up right, and when I held a real baby, the poor little guy just cried and cried. He could smell my fear.

Now having said this, I've never experienced anything like having my son. He's the best thing in the world to me. I have to say that it's been hard at times, but the rewards are beyond anything I could have imagined.

Until I became a parent, I never realized how self centered I had been my whole life. It was really hard for me giving up my freedom, but once I just went with it and relaxed, I found what a joy it is to be a parent.

My recommendation is, before the baby is born, try to enjoy the time you have with your wife as much as possible.

Congratulations!

:rsmile:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My recommendation is, before the baby is born, try to enjoy the time you have with your wife as much as possible.

My recommendation is to start putting the gentle squeeze on the in-laws so that you've got 'em all lined up to do a little babysitting down the road when junior hits 8 mo. and you and the missus need to catch a little flight out of BWI to Bermuda for some R&R and a boatload of Fosters on draft. Trust me...it's never too early to start planning. B)

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

My wife is about five weeks pregnant.  I'm amazed, scared, elated and horrified at the same time.  I have always wanted children, but it's really frightening to think about it.

That said, I'm looking forward to it! :)

:tup

Jim: That's exactly how I felt in January '94 when the doctor told my wife she was expecting. My wife was much calmer about the whole thing than I was! In October this year, our daughter Julie will turn 9 and I can tell you that fatherhood is one of the very best things that ever happened to me. It's amazing the things you can do for your own child, that you've never done before, didn't know you could do, and wouldn't think of doing for anyone else. So take it easy. It should work out just fine. And I'm sure everyone will understand if it takes a bit longer to fix Board glirches in the first 2 or 3 months after the baby's arrival! One thing that was really helpful was to have the baby's room and furniture ready about two months before she was born. I can't imagine trying to do that right after the child is born. There's just too much other stuff to do.

All the best. :)

QUOTE (b3-er @ Sep 11 2003, 04:28 AM)

My wife is about five weeks pregnant.  I'm amazed, scared, elated and horrified at the same time.  I have always wanted children, but it's really frightening to think about it.

That said, I'm looking forward to it!

This reminds me, the Dr. Spock book is worth it for the opening sentence alone: "Relax -- you know more than you think you do!"

Message from an old fart.

Jim, please understand this: Our children are 33 and 29. I now frequently wake up at night (to go to the bathroom) and have trouble getting back to sleep. I always find something to worry about. Main worry is the kids' welfare. They are living their lives, but I keep fretting. I don't pass my concerns on to them, but is an ongoing process.

You be in for interesting times.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! The whole family is excited since this will be the first grandchild for my father and my wife's mother and father.

We're going to wait until birth to know whether it's a boy or girl. We've already got the boys name set. James Theodore Alfredson VI. And yes, he's going to be an organ playin' fool!!! Unless he takes up sax and wants to be the next Stanley T. That'll be all right with me, too!

If it's a girl, she'll be the next Shirley Scott!!!! :g

Chuck, I'm sure my dad worries about us all the time too. It's scary to think of another human life totally dependent on you for a long time and then independent one day.

Life is nutty!

Thank you again!

Big greeeeeazy congrats to you and the family! Anyone know where I can pick up a baby gift, like a mini-B3 for the kid, or a toy alto?

Fatherhood is the most enjoyable roller-coaster you'll ever ride!

(I like what Chuck said. In fact, it sounded like it could've been written by own dad (also named Chuck, ironically) about me (33) and my sister (31). I guess that's the sign of a good father: he never stops worrying)

Hey, CONGRATULATIONS! As the father of a 2 month old boy (our first child), I can tell you that while it is a little scary at times, and you know that the real worries don't even start until later, it's also the greatest feeling in the world to be a daddy. Nothing quite like it; nothing else is even close.

Edited by DrJ