Jazz Crusaders - Lighthouse '69

The Magnificent Goldberg

At one point Les McCann & the Jazz Crusaders ("Jazz Waltz") was also listed to appear sometime this year, that seems to have disappeared, too. (Not that it's any great shakes - doesn't really deliver on it's promise, for a variety of reasons. But it's still fun.)

At one point Les McCann & the Jazz Crusaders ("Jazz Waltz") was also listed to appear sometime this year, that seems to have disappeared, too. (Not that it's any great shakes - doesn't really deliver on it's promise, for a variety of reasons. But it's still fun.)

That's right - that WAS supposed to have issued this year, too. I guess the EMI problems are showing.

MG

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought an original pressing that was still sealed and I loved it. I knew nothing of its existence and I haven't been that knowledgeable of either party, but it's got a hip sound to me. Some of it's straight ahead, some of it's funky and some of it's in between. Anyway I found it refreshing, what some might call retro I suppose. I realised on the second spin that the title of the album was more than just the title of a song on the album. I laughed at myself when I started counting during the songs and it was .....wait a minute....that one's in 3/4 too!

How is the Jazz Crusaders Mosaic Box? I know they're expensive, but I also acquired a clean copy of The Jazz Crusaders at the Lighthouse on Pacific Jazz a few months ago and really like it. Is this representative of the content of the Mosaic box?

My introduction to this band was later when they were just the Crusaders and although I had heard they were a lot jazzier in their early days, I had never heard any of the music.

Edited by six string

The box is all studio sessions, so none of the Lighthouse recordings are included. The different Lighouses you've got are probably reasonably representative for the respective year of recording - during the decade covered by the box their sound and style changed from some kind of early 60s soul-jazz, via post-bop to a rather different kind of late 60s soul-jazz. :)

The box is all studio sessions, so none of the Lighthouse recordings are included. The different Lighouses you've got are probably reasonably representative for the respective year of recording - during the decade covered by the box their sound and style changed from some kind of early 60s soul-jazz, via post-bop to a rather different kind of late 60s soul-jazz. :)

Thanks for the enlightenment. I think I'll pick through the albums instead.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I think I'll pick through the albums instead.

Actually, I have to say that this was one of the best Mosaic boxes I've gotten, and I have a lot of 'em. Maybe it's because I wasn't that familiar with the Jazz Crusaders when I got it, so I got to enjoy the surprise factor, but I really dig their music. It led me to get the live sets too, but I have to admit I kinda like the studio stuff better. Go figure.

My problem with "Jazz Waltz" - which I like and probably bought the day it came out - is that it doesn't really live up to what could have been a dynamite combination - short tracks, everything in 3/4, one of the pianists sticks exclusively to electric piano... Does anyone remember Miles' put-down of "All Blues" in a "blindfold test?" Sometimes the sum isn't equal to the parts.

My problem with "Jazz Waltz" - which I like and probably bought the day it came out - is that it doesn't really live up to what could have been a dynamite combination - short tracks, everything in 3/4, one of the pianists sticks exclusively to electric piano... Does anyone remember Miles' put-down of "All Blues" in a "blindfold test?" Sometimes the sum isn't equal to the parts.

Yeah, well, Miles could be pretty rough in Blindfold tests. It's true that the timings on that particular album are fairly short, but the music is cool.

• 4 years later...

The last year has been good for Les

Pretty Lady has also just been released as a TOCJ CD (Dec last year); Also Sings (with Gerald Wilson) was released (TOCJ again) earlier last year

Fresh Sound have also released "The Shout" & "The Truth" recently with extra titles from the sessions

Just Don't know about the Fresh Sounds - good sound & liner notes (Jordi has come up with new/revised recording dates for a few of these sessions - wonder where he is getting his info from? - some of it seems to make sense)

Does he have access to PJ tapes?? - I know he has an interest in West Coast Jazz & was able to access a the Hollywood Nocturne material legitimately, some of it unreleased (even more than the Mosaic Select PJ Trios box could offer)

The last year has been good for Les

Pretty Lady has also just been released as a TOCJ CD (Dec last year); Also Sings (with Gerald Wilson) was released (TOCJ again) earlier last year

Fresh Sound have also released "The Shout" & "The Truth" recently with extra titles from the sessions

Just Don't know about the Fresh Sounds - good sound & liner notes (Jordi has come up with new/revised recording dates for a few of these sessions - wonder where he is getting his info from? - some of it seems to make sense)

Does he have access to PJ tapes?? - I know he has an interest in West Coast Jazz & was able to access a the Hollywood Nocturne material legitimately, some of it unreleased (even more than the Mosaic Select PJ Trios box could offer)

From the track listing:

Sources:

Tracks #1-8 from the Pacific Jazz album

"Les McCann Plays the Truth" (PJ-2)

Tracks #9 & 10 from the Pacific Jazz single X-310

Tracks #11-13 from the Pacific Jazz album

"Les McCann-A bag of Gold" (ST-20107)

Tracks #14 & 15 from the Pacific Jazz album

anthology "This is the Blues" (PJ-13)

Clearly he does not as these are not "extra tracks from the sessions" but other released material he's tacked on.

I'm still trying to figure out if the two Curtis Amy/Booby tracks were released on CD elsewhere.