brownies birthday

there is only one brownie.

Couldn't agree more:

Clifford.jpg

I just happen to use his nickname out of admiration. for the real one.

Was lucky to have heard him live when he played with Lionel Hampton in Paris back in 1953.

He was one month and a few days away from his 23rd birthday.

I was one month and a few days away from my 14th birthday

That Hampton tour also brought this incredible all-star band to Copenhagen. I organized an all-night jam session on November 11, 1953 and most of the band--including Hamp--came to it following the Hamptons' 17th anniversary party at the Hotel Richmond. What a band that was! I'm glad that I recorded a good part of the evening's performances and I know I probably posted this label in the past, but bear with me...

JamSessiondiscpic-1.jpg

...and here's a cake for both Brownies...

RecordChangerBrownie.jpg

Wow -- you heard Clifford in Paris in '53! What an important year that was for him. His transition from r&b to jazz, his first dates as a leader, recording "Minority" with Gigi Gryce while over there. What a great memory to have.

To keep things in perspective, my eyes at the time were on Lionel Hampton whose showmanship made a deep impression on me! Clifford Brown was just one of the boys in the band and did not take solos, as far as I remember!

Wow -- you heard Clifford in Paris in '53! What an important year that was for him. His transition from r&b to jazz, his first dates as a leader, recording "Minority" with Gigi Gryce while over there. What a great memory to have.

To keep things in perspective, my eyes at the time were on Lionel Hampton whose showmanship made a deep impression on me! Clifford Brown was just one of the boys in the band and did not take solos, as far as I remember!

according to the clifford brown discography by bob weir (almere 2004) there are privat recordings from paris and only one solo by brownie:

palais de chaillot, 27 september 1953 (unissued private tape, 3 tracks, no brownie)

théatre de paris, (the hampton orchestra performed for 5 consecutive evenings and a unissued private tape with 7 tracks and no brownie solos is from one of the concerts on 7 - 9 or 11 october 1953)

théatre de paris, 10 october 1953: privat tape, 12 tracks and one brownie solo on "boogie woogie") it´s avaiable on cd "royal jazz rjd-517" and complete on "philology" brownie´s eyes, vol. 30.

keep boppin´

marcel

• 11 months later...