My little sweetpea broke her elbow!

well, as Berigan would say, stop coddling her -

but seriously folks, Uncle Al the Safety Guy will use this opportunity to tell you (though this is a different issue) to always carpet stairways - kids and other people falling on those things get seriously hurt (and even die) all the time -

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am really sorry to hear it, Jim. My son is 3 1/2 and does the same stuff. Spinning in the chair, somersaults off the bed (it's really low), jumping on the couch. Of course, I try to keep this behavior to a minimum, but boy he has a lot of energy. I figure it is all but inevitable he'll break something. But kids do heal fast at least.

but seriously folks, Uncle Al the Safety Guy will use this opportunity to tell you (though this is a different issue) to always carpet stairways - kids and other people falling on those things get seriously hurt (and even die) all the time -

Though socks can slip on carpet - I landed on my butt just this morning because of that!

Though socks can slip on carpet - I landed on my butt just this morning because of that!

I slipped on some stairs a few years ago (they were carpeted but I had socks on) and landed really hard on my tailbone. I must have bruised it pretty good, because it hurt like hell to sit for about a MF month! Sitting in the car was a real drag.

Once when I was little, my dad came in to check on me only to find me riding my tricycle on the top bunk!

:lol:

That's something my son would have done, given the chance.

When I was a kid a buddy of mine (no, it wasn't me) tried to ride his bike up a tree. You know, get a good run at it and actually think you might make it. This guy wasn't too bright but he was always entertaining. He would always take dares and such.

Ack, lice. I had lice when I was a kid. The worst part was I was old enough to be ashamed by it and thought that when I got back to school (I think it was 2nd grade), everybody would know and avoid me like the plague. Luckily that didn't happen.

My sister did the "try to drive bike up tree" stunt. She hit her head so hard that she knocked herself out and doesn't remember that day at all. The worst part is my parents didn't know because it was at my cousin's birthday party and nobody told my parents what happened. Only us kids saw it and we were afraid of getting in trouble, so everybody was tight-lipped.

Man, some of the shit we used to get away with is insane...

I broke my collar bone four times, so now I know what my parents went through. That's the right word for it: devastating. :(

Thank you all for the support.

I broke my collarbone twice, once on each side..

My sympathy to Zora, you, and Alison!

Hang in there bro..

Edited by randissimo

Jim, I just saw this! Tell Zora that everyone here (including Zoe!) hopes that she feels better real soon (if she remembers us, that is!).

If you want any additional pediatric advice, you know where to call.

And tell Zora that if she wants to sue her dad, she knows where to call, too.

Jim, I just saw this! Tell Zora that everyone here (including Zoe!) hopes that she feels better real soon (if she remembers us, that is!).

If you want any additional pediatric advice, you know where to call.

And tell Zora that if she wants to sue her dad, she knows where to call, too.

She does remember; she was talking about Zoe the other day. But I won't pass along your phone number, Mr. Ambulance Chaser!

:)

I can attest that is was very scary, but at the same time I felt confident that the doctors knew what they were doing and made the right decisions. Zora is up and around even more than I wish she would be. She has already taken two tiny falls trying to run or stand on one leg. I keep thinking that if it was me, I would be in bed for days, but she is already playing with her toys.

I do need to say to everyone that Jim did a great job responding to the situation. He did exactly the right things to make her as comfortable as possible and barely left her side the entire time. I love you, honey. Thanks for being such a wonderful husband and father!

Alison

I can attest that is was very scary, but at the same time I felt confident that the doctors knew what they were doing and made the right decisions. Zora is up and around even more than I wish she would be. She has already taken two tiny falls trying to run or stand on one leg. I keep thinking that if it was me, I would be in bed for days, but she is already playing with her toys.

I do need to say to everyone that Jim did a great job responding to the situation. He did exactly the right things to make her as comfortable as possible and barely left her side the entire time. I love you, honey. Thanks for being such a wonderful husband and father!

Alison

Glad to know Zora is doing better..

Tell her 'Uncle Randy' says no running or standing on one leg :rolleyes:

Alison

Great news! Nice post!

Well, Zora has a bug now. She woke up with a sore throat and I can't get her to eat anything. She's sleeping on the couch right now. Poor thing. Yesterday she came outside for a bit to "help" me rake leaves (not much she could do). We've kept her home from daycare for the time being due to doctor's orders. She is usually in daycare Mondays and Wednesdays. It's been hard for me to get anything done, since I can't really leave her alone for fear that she'll do something crazy, like climb up on a chair and jump off (she has tried... the kid is pretty thick-headed).

We made cupcakes on Monday and yesterday she helped clean the house. She and I are both getting a bit of "cabin fever". I also need to prepare for a recording session tomorrow (I'm the engineer), but it's hard to find the time.

I'm still coming to terms with the injury. Jazzmoose is right; she'll heal and probably forget about it, but every time I look at her and see the enormous cast on her arm, I tear up. I know it wasn't my fault, but I feel terrible for her.