THE WHO

dave9199

Here's my guess:

Early: My Generation/A Quick One/Sell Out

Mid: Tommy/Live At Leeds/Who's Next/Quadrophenia

Late: By Numbers/Who Are You/Face Dances/It's Hard

Unclassifiable: Endless Wire (I've never heard this one)

Putting it like this, I'd have to say I favor the "middle" period. Tommy is, hands down, my favorite Who album, though Who's Next comes close.

As for their early period, I generally find the Who to be a better "singles" band (a view I know isn't widely shared). But something like Meaty, Beaty, etc. proves my point I think. In any case, I find Sells Out to be a bit overrated.

I do like Who Are You quite a bit, but it came out at a very impressionable time for me; still, I think it's underrated. After that, things are very hit-or-miss, and by then Pete did his best work on his solo albums.

I think Pete's an exceptional song writer and don't think he's really gotten his due for that (much like Ray Davies). His Scooped albums of castoffs and outtakes help to show his brilliance.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though the later albums are hit or miss there are still some fantastic tracks...Eminence Front anyone?

I have fond memories of hearing that echoing about in the Checkerdome in St. Louis during the soundcheck. Pete may have hated sports arenas, but the echoey arena made them sound bigger than they by that point in '82. Even fonder memory was that they played "Tattoo" that night. "A rooty toot toot, rooty tooty toot toot, rooty toot toot tattoo too, to you." :)

After hearing the demo of "Daily Records" on one of the Scoops I appreciated the song even more. Kind of funny given the lyrics that he ended up having writer's block shortly thereafter (at least for The Who) for over 20 years.

... Pete may have hated sports arenas, but the echoey arena made them sound bigger than they by that point in '82. Even fonder memory was that they played "Tattoo" that night...

I saw them on that tour and "Tattoo" was by far the highlight of the show. Not surprisingly, it was the only tune of the night that was not met with an enthusiastic response by the blitzed dirt rockers in the crowd.

I only like Tommy because I remember my dad listening to it a lot, and so a lot of that music holds fond memories. It has its moments (and those moments are earth-shattering), but it could've (should've) been edited down to a single album.

Few albums bore me to death as much as Quadrophenia.

Then again, few albums move me like The Who By Numbers. Yeah, I know it's a record-long pity party. So what? The music is raw, the emotions are real, and they spoke to me when I first heard them and they still speak to me today, just on a different level.

The Who Sell Out is, as mentioned elsewhere, one of the Who's finest moments, if not THE finest moment.

Who's Next is one of those I have to be in the mood for. It also has some nice moments, but ever since classic-rock radio overplayed "Baba O'Riley," "Behind Blue Eyes," and "Won't Get Fooled Again," it's hard to muster up any enthusiasm for it.

Is there no love for My Generation? Man, they could've stopped after THAT album and still have been legendary!

Does this include the song "Drowned"? Or "Sea & Sand"?

Check out the wonderful Secret Policeman's Ball acoustic version of "Drowned" sometime. This was during his Remy Martin stage, though he was sober for this song. Or at least not shitface drunk.

He played "Drowned" & "Pinball" acoustic, then went backstage. A bottle of Remy was in his dressing room as a thanks for doing the benefit. He was to perform "Won't Get Fooled Again" later with guitarist John Williams. He downed the whole bottle while waiting. Ends up he briefly "fell asleep" sitting on a stool while playing the song onstage with Williams. :lol: The editors of the movie were too kind and edited it out, so it's a little jarring when you see it. :)

Then again, few albums move me like The Who By Numbers. Yeah, I know it's a record-long pity party. So what? The music is raw, the emotions are real, and they spoke to me when I first heard them and they still speak to me today, just on a different level.

Yup. Semi-relatedly I didn't fully appreciate, or er, understand the solo song "Slit Skirts" off of Chinese Eyes until many years after its release.

Is there no love for My Generation? Man, they could've stopped after THAT album and still have been legendary!

I think our dancer (not "Helpless" - Quad reference) JSngry mentioned James Brown Who covers earlier, though as I've been out drinking, I could be wrong. Sure, there's love for it. I have the US, the UK, and the deluxe CD flavors.

I find something to love off of all of them, some more than others, and then there's solo albums that rate highly for me - Rough Mix, Who Came 1st, Empty Glass. Plus Entwistle's Whistle Rhymes (with Peter Frampton) which every 5 years or so I give a spin. It works as a dark comedy album. Follow that with a few cuts from Smash Your Head & a few of his others. There's a reason he only wrote 1-2 songs per album. Moon's I just have for the optional covers (bought used for $2.50 25+ years ago), and I can't say I've played McVicar (my token Daltrey) since sometime in the early '80s.

Side three I have some love for, but nothing I'd rather hear before other Who material. I forgot to mention how much I love "Bell Boy," completely outta character for Moon but heartfelt (and believeable) nonetheless!

Side three I have some love for, but nothing I'd rather hear before other Who material. I forgot to mention how much I love "Bell Boy," completely outta character for Moon but heartfelt (and believeable) nonetheless!

Side 3 is the one that gets the non(Quad)believers. ;)

Even though I've seen it a hundred times or more, watching Moon try to sing "Bell Boy" live with the headphones off & on between the drumming duties still makes me smile. I think it's on the old live Maximum R & B video comp.

The album My Generation is my favorite Who album. The songs are great, but it's Moon's drumming and Shel Talmy's production that bring them to the fore. Nothing pissed me off more than the deluxe reissue of this album a few years ago. They didn't have the guitar & vocals overdubs. It loses a lot of life. I wish they had a remix of the version I'm used to. I had to go buy it again just because of this.

dave9199-

You are aware that there is a boot that collects My generation and all the related singles and EP cuts (plus Great Shakes and US Air Force commercials) on one cd IN MONO?

I have a theory that all great originals are/were great interpretors first. The Who stretch that to the breaking point, they really weren't that great an R&B covers band, it brings out the worst sort of tough guy posturing in daltry. And then there's the surf thing. To really make a strong argument for them as interpretors you have to include 'in the style of' originals like "Magic Bus" (Bo Diddley), "Long Live Rock" (Chuck Berry). Should've quit after Moon died; I think if Pete had read the credits to Rod's albums more carefully they might've gotten Micky Waller instead of Kenny Jones, and been better off. I don't think the early Small Faces are 'better' than the early Who, the writting is much weaker ("E TOO D"), but it is nice to have more in that style, any other Mod bands I should check out from back in the day? Love the Kinks, Arthur & "Last of the Steam Powered Trains" being fav's, but they too could be iffy as a covers band (yes I realize I'm using the term in exactly the loose/sloppy way I railed against on this board), their rendition of "Got Love If You Want It" is beyond lame but the live "Milk Cow Blues"/"Batman"/"So Tired" medley is brilliant in a surreal pop art sort of way. I once knew a Kinks fan who claimed to have been born in Muswell Hill...

dave9199-

You are aware that there is a boot that collects My generation and all the related singles and EP cuts (plus Great Shakes and US Air Force commercials) on one cd IN MONO?

That's the one I got, believe it or not. It sounds just like the regular release, all overdriven & such on the album tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they've ever topped The Who Sell Out - a masterpiece from start to finish! I gave up on them after Who's Next. By this time they had become just another boring arena act. I loved Tommy at the time it came out, but have been thoroughly tired of it for a long time. Never cared for Live at Leeds. I think they were still finding their way on My Generation, and Happy Jack/A Quick One has a few good songs, but they really hit their stride with Sell Out.

Another corner heard from...

(edited for typo)

How could you not like Live at Leeds :blink:

This would be comparable to saying you like cereal but not milk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Looks interesting...release date April 8:

81gekwtD95L._SL1400_.jpg

"Wilko Johnson, legendary guitarist with Dr Feelgood, and Roger Daltrey, lead singer of rock giants The Who are to release a joint album GOING BACK HOME on the world famous Chess label which has been resurrected specifically for this record. The album features 11 tracks, ten of which are Wilko originals from both his Dr Feelgood days and solo years, whilst the sole cover on the album is a version of Bob Dylan's HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED classic 'Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window'. The album also includes the track 'Turned 21' which has never been properly released or performed live."

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but over the years I've found I prefer almost anything Pete Townsend's done solo (and especially Pete's Who demos) -- over The Who proper.

It's NOT even that I dislike Daltrey a whole lot (I've always found him to be charming and interesting in interviews, for instance) -- but for whatever reason, I just WAY more drawn to Townsend's voice than Roger's.

As a result, my solo Townsend collection is about twice that of what I have by The Who.