Groove Holmes "After Hours"

Soul Stream

I'm not sure how many are hip to the Pacific Jazz LP, "After Hours" by Groove Holmes. It's really some of his finest playing imho, and one of the best organ jazz records in existence. This and "Groovin' With Jug," the live one with Gene Ammons really turned me on to Groove beyond just the cat who swung the hell out of "Misty."

Groove was one hell of a JAZZ organist and "After Hours" really shows the depth of his musicianship. His version of "Moose The Mooche" is a standout among a field of winning tracks ("It Might As Well Be Spring" isn't far off.)

Any other fans of this LP?

This was the second disc I picked up of Groove's back when I first started to get into this stuff. My first exposure to him came from my dad's vinyl collection.

Groove could play bass lines like no other. You can tell he is an organist first, not a pianist that switched over to organ. His command of the instrument is total.

On this record he sounds like he's really trying to prove himself and he does. He swings like crazy and there are some really nice originals and a smart selection of covers including one of my favorite standards "Jeanine".

Highly recommended! Good call, Soul Stream!

Yes, I thoroughly enjoy AFTER HOURS. I remember what intrigued me enough to buy it (my first Groove Holmes CD) was Joe Pass' presence...it seemed odd to me to hear him in this context after knowing his playing only from the VIRTUOSO recordings. But he acquits himself quite well.

Over the last couple of years, I have tracked down all of Groove's PJ albums that have been reissued on CD in the U.S...by my count that includes:

AFTER HOURS

GROOVIN' WITH JUG

GROOVE

SOMETHIN' SPECIAL

Each one is a pleasure, but I would actually single out GROOVE as my personal favorite; the McCann/Holmes team was a great one, but this one is pushed up a notch by the playing of Ben Webster, who sounds right at home. For some reason, GROOVIN' WITH JUG was a bit of a disappointment to me - on paper, you'd think that would be "the one" but the sound quality is poor and it just sounds kind of rote to me, prototype soul jazz but without that extra spark the best sessions have. Mind you that is my most recent acquisition, so I've had less time to assimilate it...will have to dig it out again and see if the feeling still holds.

Edited by DrJ

I bought all four of Groove's Pacific Jazz CDs and enjoy After Hours the most. Listened into it in a second hand shop and was nicely surprised. Thsi one made me really dig his playing. I also like Joe Pass much more in this context than otherwise. Great ensemble playing, it is clearly understandable to me why he wanted to record this trio first of all and was disappointed when it was delayed several times for the other projects and then wasn't issued completely.

I have yet to check out his Prestige stuff, which CD would you organ buffs recommend for starters?

• 2 months later...

I bought all four of Groove's Pacific Jazz CDs and enjoy After Hours the most. Listened into it in a second hand shop and was nicely surprised. Thsi one made me really dig his playing. I also like Joe Pass much more in this context than otherwise. Great ensemble playing, it is clearly understandable to me why he wanted to record this trio first of all and was disappointed when it was delayed several times for the other projects and then wasn't issued completely.

I have yet to check out his Prestige stuff, which CD would you organ buffs recommend for starters?

"Soul Message" simply for the long version of "Misty".

Not to be contrary, but I much prefer his work on Prestige. And there, his first albums were the best.

1) Soul Message was my first hard core jazz album. I haven't tired of it after 37 years. It's great to listen to on the highway.

2) Living Soul has been reissued with Spicy under the title Spicy. Living Soul is terrific, especially on Gemini. Spicy isn't worth the money, but there it is.

3) On Basie's Bandstand is a new release of the Living Soul set's previously unreleased recordings. I understand why the tracks that were chosen to be released on Living Soul were chosen, but these tracks are also very good.

4) Misty has a different style, unique to Groove as far as I know.

All of these four are highly recommended.

Count me as another big fan of "After Hours" and Groove Holmes in general. What amazes me most is the man's consistency. He was great from beginning to end. Check out some of his muse stuff as well to see that this great musician kicked all the way to the end. My particular Muse favorite is "All Day Long"

Recommendations:

Soul Message

After Hours

Hot Tat

On Basie's Bandstand

Legends of Acid Jazz (The Groover, and That Healin feeling)

Misty

Blue Groove (Soul Mist & Get up & Git It)

All Day Long

Slight disappointments:

Broadway

Groovin with Jug (Recording is bad)

• 2 weeks later...

Got "After Hours" today. I passed it by uncountable times in the last years, seems it was around constantly whereever I went... and based on what I read here, I took the plunge, and LOVE it! Thanks everybody!

I like the first (61) date with Joe Pass a little better - sure "Secret Love" is a good one, but the vibe of Pass and Marable (of whom I seem to be a fan, although I never really looked for his stuff) strikes me as more relaxed.

Interesting liners, too, by the way.

How about his other early Pacific albums, are they around on CD? Or both long gone?

ubu

One Prestige Groove Holmes session I regularly enjoy is the 'Get Up & Get It' album (not sure it's out on CD). That's the one with Teddy Edwards on tenor, Pat Martino on guitar plus Paul Chambers and Billy Higgins. Could not miss. It did not! The version of Teddy Edwards 'Lee-Ann', a very nice groovy ballad, is worth the admission.

:g

The grin is because I love this tune. And Organissimo is even working on adding it to their repertoire upon my request.

Connaisseur, the grin was worth it.

Excellent idea to push the song into the Organissimo band's repertoire!

Will be looking for their interpretation :D

I sure wish that the big band charts w/ Gerald Wilson, "You Better Believe It!", were available in singular and not just on the Mosaic. I just can't bring myself to fork over the dough for the set. I have never heard that album and am curious. Commentary? Anything like a Smith / Nelson affair?? Thoroughly enjoy "Moment of Truth" and Addey's great sound.

One Prestige Groove Holmes session I regularly enjoy is the 'Get Up & Get It' album (not sure it's out on CD). That's the one with Teddy Edwards on tenor,  Pat Martino on guitar plus Paul Chambers and Billy Higgins. Could not miss. It did not! The version of Teddy Edwards 'Lee-Ann', a very nice groovy ballad, is worth the admission.

Thanks for calling attention to this one. It is available on CD from Fantasy, on a two-fer (with Soul Mist) called Blues Groove. I'm ordering one.

Edited by Hank