Lester Young/Count Basie Mosaic Announced!

Ron S

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, being a New Yawka has gotten me used to many things in life, not the least of which is the consistent one-day turnaround on Mosaic deliveries from right next door :D

That *would* be nice! I'm looking forward to reports on the Young/Basie set from those lucky enough to have preordered it!

Is anyone that pre-ordered still waiting on their set?

I haven't seen anything yet, so I called Mosaic and they said it shipped the 18th. :(

Most of the time I wouldn't notice or care but I am excited about this set and I have never had an order from Mosaic take more then a few days.

Is anyone that pre-ordered still waiting on their set?

I haven't seen anything yet, so I called Mosaic and they said it shipped the 18th. :(

Most of the time I wouldn't notice or care but I am excited about this set and I have never had an order from Mosaic take more then a few days.

That is an unusually long time. I've never had anything but fast service from Mosaic. Is there a tracking number? (DHL, right?)

Lester will leap in soon, I'm sure! :tup

Hopefully you'll have yours today! Mine arrived unusually. . . fast. An EXCELLENT set.

It was sitting by the back porch when I arrived home this afternoon. The surprising thing is it had a post mark of the 26th. It looks like they didn't charge me shipping. When I called Mosaic about it they apologized for the delay, said they didn't know what caused it, and they refunded the shipping. As usual they handled everything the right way.

I might have to wait until at least Sunday to listen to the music because I am kind of on a groove with the Django on the Radio JSP set that arrived yesterday.

Notes seem excellent. . . I haven't sat down and read them yet, but the booklet is full of pictures, a high percentage of which I've never seen before! It's a 24 page booklet, which is pretty hefty for a four cd set.

The music sounds wonderful. The remastering is great and it's nice to have sessions I have spread over probably near a dozen cds "homogenized" in sound and great sound at that.

Notes seem excellent. . . I haven't sat down and read them yet, but the booklet is full of pictures, a high percentage of which I've never seen before! It's a 24 page booklet, which is pretty hefty for a four cd set.

The music sounds wonderful. The remastering is great and it's nice to have sessions I have spread over probably near a dozen cds "homogenized" in sound and great sound at that.

Schoenberg did the notes, and he is incredibly thorough, as always...sometimes the track has ended before I've finished reading his description of it.

The sound is quite good, I'd agree, but...there's something a little less present or crisp about it than some of the other Mosaic remasterings from this era that I've heard in the past few years. Could simply be me, could be the source material to begin with. Certainly better than the ESSENTIAL Columbia cds.

I've listened to the whole set twice, though I haven't paid special attention to any of the "unreleased" alternates. . . . Nothing jumped out and said "Time is standing still this is earth-shatteringly different"! (But the Diagonal Noise Reduction could be to blame). ;)