Britney Spears Hospitalized

January 5, 2008

Britney Spears in Hospital After Standoff

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

LOS ANGELES — Britney Spears was strapped to a gurney late Thursday night after a three-hour standoff involving her two toddler sons, Kevin Federline, a court-appointed child monitor, police officers, paramedics and a locked bathroom door. She was rolled out of her home in the hills near Mulholland Drive as photographers swarmed and helicopters hovered, and taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center "for her own welfare," as one police spokeswoman put it. In plain terms, Ms. Spears was in lockdown on a 72-hour involuntary psychiatric hold for treatment and evaluation, the authorities said later, speaking on condition of anonymity because of federal privacy laws. And by Friday afternoon she'd been stripped of the right even to visit with her sons.

Thursday's ordeal came at the end of a day that began with Ms. Spears showing up for barely a quarter-hour of a scheduled two-hour deposition in her custody fight with Mr. Federline, her ex-husband. He had been given temporary full custody of their sons, Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden, 1, and was seeking to make it permanent.

Ms. Spears, 26, whose personal life has doubtless made more money for the celebrity tabloids, news shows and Web sites than she ever made as a singer, spent time with the boys later in the day and was scheduled to return them to Mr. Federline's bodyguard at 7 p.m. at her home in the Summit, a gated enclave of multimillion-dollar homes just off Mulholland where it meets Coldwater Canyon Drive.

But after the court-appointed monitor had already put the older boy in the car, Ms. Spears barricaded herself in a bathroom with Jayden and refused to come out, according to a member of Mr. Federline's camp.

The police arrived at 8, and, The Los Angeles Times reported, a police supervisor said Ms. Spears had been "incoherent and arguing with officers in a way that made no sense."

Paramedics arrived about 10:30, and Ms. Spears was taken from her home before 11 as photographers mobbed the scene, peering through the ambulance windows to snap shots that circulated on the Internet showing Ms. Spears smiling as if posing one instant, appearing distraught and disheveled the next.

Her son Sean Preston was turned over to Mr. Federline at her home, but Jayden was returned to his father at the hospital after the boy had been taken there in a second ambulance. It was unclear if he was treated or for what. Outside the hospital, meanwhile, fame-seekers and flamboyant fans gathered like fireflies, expressing hope that her downward spiral be brought to a halt before she winds up like Anna Nicole Smith.

By Friday afternoon, Mr. Federline's lawyer, Mark Vincent Kaplan, had persuaded Commissioner Scott Gordon of Los Angeles Superior Court, who is overseeing the custody fight, to award Mr. Federline sole legal and physical custody of their children and to suspend Ms. Spears's visitation rights, a court spokeswoman said. A hearing is set for Jan. 14. Ms. Spears's lawyer, Sorrell Trope, said he ultimately expected her to regain shared custody of the boys.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon, I think you'd favor a fascist dictatorship.

Fuck no!!! In a fascist dictatorship the church and/or the army are often competing centers of power to the regime and who really wants to have to deal with all that constant looking over your shoulder crap when there's so little time and so much to do?

DSC00098.JPG

January 5, 2008

Report: Spears Released From Hospital

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 6:24 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Television's ''Dr. Phil'' McGraw said Britney Spears was released from a hospital Saturday but still needs psychological help, the syndicated programs ''Entertainment Tonight'' and ''The Insider'' reported in a press release.

The troubled pop star was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center by paramedics Thursday night after police were called to her home because of a dispute involving the two sons she had with ex-husband Kevin Federline.

''My meeting with Britney and some family members this morning in her room at Cedars leaves me convinced more than ever that she is in dire need of both medical and psychological intervention,'' McGraw told the programs.

''She was released moments before my arrival and was packing when I entered the room. We visited for about an hour before I walked with her to her car. I am very concerned for her,'' he said.

McGraw planned to talk more about Spears on his daytime talk show this week, the press release said.

Responding to an e-mail request for further comment from McGraw, a ''Dr. Phil'' publicist referred The Associated Press to his statement posted on the etonline.com Web site.

Medical center officials have had no comment on Spears, and authorities have given no full explanation of why she was hospitalized.

The incident at Spears' home lasted several hours. A Los Angeles police spokeswoman said Friday that officers at the scene determined that paramedics ''needed to be called'' but it was unclear why.

A message seeking comment from Spears' attorneys at the law firm Trope and Trope was not immediately returned Saturday.

At an emergency hearing Friday, a court commissioner suspended Spears' right to visit sons Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden James, 1. The commissioner also gave sole physical and legal custody to Federline.

Previously, Federline had temporary custody and Spears had court-monitored visitation.

The court set another hearing for Jan. 14.

Spears and Federline married in October 2004. Her life has spiraled downward since their divorce in July. She has been photographed without underwear and appeared to be drunk and out-of-control in public. She shaved her head, beat a car with an umbrella and spent a month in rehab.

January 5, 2008

Report: Spears Released From Hospital

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 6:24 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Television's ''Dr. Phil'' McGraw said Britney Spears was released from a hospital Saturday but still needs psychological help, the syndicated programs ''Entertainment Tonight'' and ''The Insider'' reported in a press release.

''My meeting with Britney and some family members this morning in her room at Cedars leaves me convinced more than ever that she is in dire need of both medical and psychological intervention,'' McGraw told the programs.

''She was released moments before my arrival and was packing when I entered the room. We visited for about an hour before I walked with her to her car. I am very concerned for her,'' he said.

It's nice how Dr. Phil works "my meeting with," "leaves me convinced more than ever," "before my arrival," "I entered the room," "We visited," "I walked with her," and "I am very concerned for her" into those three sentences.

For myself, I was stunned to learn that this was a boy and not a girl. :blink:

Yeah, at first glance I thought I recognized 'her' as a character in an old comic book of mine, riding in a stagecoach.

Never have been able to pinpoint when that company switched from publishing to computer manufacturing...