The "CAL MASSEY" Music Festival

thetarushow

THE MUSIC OF THE LATE GREAT COMPOSER AND MUSICIAN " CAL MASSEY"

ONLY ON : thetarushow.libsyn.com

THE "CAL MASSEY" MUSIC FESTIVAL : thetarushow.libsyn.com

CHECK IT OUT !!

"Soulful Days: the Cal Massey Songbook", broadcast on 2007-02-24, is archived on nightlights.blogs.wfiu.org/shows.

CHECK IT OUT !!

"Soulful Days: the Cal Massey Songbook", broadcast on 2007-02-24, is archived on nightlights.blogs.wfiu.org/shows.

Taru and his sister both sent me very nice notes about the Night Lights show Soulful Days. Many thanks and glad to see his father's music being promoted here by the family. Direct link: The Taru Show. Looks like there's a wealth of Cal Massey music there... :tup

Edited by ghost of miles

CHECK IT OUT !!

Taru and his sister both sent me very nice notes about the Night Lights show Soulful Days. Many thanks and glad to see his father's music being promoted here by the family. Direct link: The Taru Show. Looks like there's a wealth of Cal Massey music there... :tup

Is Zane Massey still performing? I haven't seen any new recordings by him in several years. He was one of my favorite young saxophonists.

Yes Zane is still performing,, the last 4 years in China, now he is the jazz director at a club in Hong Kong. Working six nignts a week, something that was impossible here in NYC.

At the risk of appearing glib, I'd just like to convey to Taru that your dad's music has long been a source of deep inspiration & pleasure. My life has been immeasurably blessed by encountering his music, and I wish you well in your attemmpts to present it in an ongoing & dignified manner.

"What Would It Be Without You?" indeed!

I am very glad that you could join us. I have listened to your podcast before, and I think it is wonderful that you are honoring your father's music in this way.

If you search other threads, you will see that I have been trying to put together a complete list of all of your father's known compositions. There are three at the Library of Congress that I believe have not been recorded, but I suspect there are more unrecorded ones that you or your family would have access to.

Freddie Hubbard's version of 'Assunta' is a personal favorite - Wayne Shorter's solo is just gorgeous. Are you still in touch with some of your father's colleagues?

Bertrand.

• 3 years later...

I have been trying to get musicians in D.C. (and elsewhere) to put together a Massey retrospective for years, but no luck so far. It sure would be nice to be able to possibly premiere the three songs I found at LC (with the blessing of his family, of course).

Salim Washington is often in town with Katy Roberts, so I think I will approach him. Does anyone have contact info?

Bertrand.