Women of Organissimo

Peter

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that Bud Collyer was the first Superman on the radio? My dad hipped me to that when we were watching Bud host "To Tell the Truth" back in the '60s.

No kidding!

I was somewhat addicted to "To Tell the Truth" in the 60s - and 70s, too.

bud.gif

"Accomplished radio actor Bud Collyer was Superman's voice from 1940-1950. As the first man to ever play Superman, he defined the Man of Steel for a whole generation of radio listeners."

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ug02/superman/origins.html

Were you into the late-60s/early 70s syndicated ones with the outrageous psychedelic sets & hosted by Gary Moore? Those were my favorite!

Nothing could beat Bud Collyer and his psychedelic bow ties.

Were you into the late-60s/early 70s syndicated ones with the outrageous psychedelic sets & hosted by Gary Moore? Those were my favorite!

This might sound a bit weird, but I honestly don't remember - one of the reasons being that our family didn't get a color TV set until I'd been in college for a while. (And most TVs at school were also b&w.)

All that to say: probably yes. ;) I really liked all of the panelists, and I got a kick out of trying to guess who was real and who was fake.

Edited by seeline

Nothing could beat Bud Collyer and his psychedelic bow ties.

Looks as if Bud was into psychedelic ties before psychedelia was hip.

bud.gif

to-tell-the-truth.jpg

Welcome clave and Bev!

I've got you all beat. I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

The woman on the far left is Polly Bergen. When I was little my sister had an early LP of hers called Bergen Sings Morgan, in which she covered the songs of Helen Morgan.

Twenty years later I had a part time job in a department store, and she made an appearance into my little corner and briefly chatted with me. I think she was in the store promoting a new perfume of hers. She was still quite attractive, and very nice too.

Actually, Bev Stapleton is responsible for this thread. When I first happened upon his postings, I thought, "ahhh a woman."' Then I learned that Bev was in fact a man and wondered . . . ., are there any women on this board? Now my wife is wondering why I'm wondering! And wondering why I'm looking at women in bikinis holding trombones on the net.

Edited by Peter

"we"? that's the first time i have heard anyone posting under "we"! that is cool-you are more than one person sitting at a computer and responding? i do not think i would be able to surf the internet with someone else sitting right next to me. i could see a lot of arguments and being bored and impatient and everything else.

"We" is Southern for "Me and my family, when I was a kid and still living with them".

Like fixing to. Southern as well.

I was
fixing
to explain it, but you all did it for me.

Can't ever leave a southern house, without being being told, "Why don't you just spend the night?" Never meant in a hateful way, but it was almost always said. Or, "You might as well spend the night, we hate to see you go." Or they'll say, "You might as well go home with us." My uncle said this to my aunt one late afternoon and she said "OK, let me get my things.", and out the door she went, leaving her little children with her husband. He was shocked by her behavior, thinking she and her husband had had a fight and that had never been known to happen, but he took her home with him, over 50 miles away, this back in the early 30's

In the middle of the night she did some really odd things, everyone tells us who were there that she was scaring everyone out of their wits. She had a severe stroke and that was the cause of her odd behavior. The doctor commited her, but come to find out her mind was fine, but her left side was permanently paralized. The neatest lady you could ever meet.