Bassoon goes jazz

hepcat1950

Oh god, Daniel Smith--I was sent one of his discs for review, & it went into my special folder for unintentionally funny discs. (I toss out most bad CDs, but sometimes one feels like hanging on to the memorably awful ones.) One of the worst albums I've ever heard, in any genre.

I hope Paul Hanson's NOTHING like Smith.

Oh god, Daniel Smith--I was sent one of his discs for review, & it went into my special folder for unintentionally funny discs. (I toss out most bad CDs, but sometimes one feels like hanging on to the memorably awful ones.) One of the worst albums I've ever heard, in any genre.

From what I know from your site, your contributions to Bagatellen, and your reviews, I'm not sure if you dig Paul Hanson's music. But he's light-years ahead of Daniel Smith when it comes to a jazz feeling and chops.

This is some of most ridiculous (in the common sense of the term) playing imaginable:

http://www.danielsmithbassoon.com/

Click on the links to this guy's two "jazz" albums.

Yeah, I don't know what to say... the first one, well, the transfer was so bad I could hardly hear anything. But the second, I think I heard enough to last a lifetime.

So ungainly, such bad intonation and timing - jeebus!

This is some of most ridiculous (in the common sense of the term) playing imaginable:

http://www.danielsmithbassoon.com/

Click on the links to this guy's two "jazz" albums.

How about the reviewers who gave these disasters the thumbs-up? There's a whole bunch of them quoted on his page. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad ...

Q

Dig:

Interview on AAJ with Smith (for Nate)