Digression thread: Coherence is overrated

• 2 weeks later...

Marge: Relax. Everyone knows that if you die in a dream you just wake up.
Professor Frink: Oh, ah, actually because I neglected to install the latest Adobe Acrobat update if you die in the dream you die in real life. Incidentally, I've also proven that hell is real and everyone goes there. Frink out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't sleep, just watched New Zealand beat South Africa in the semi finals of cricket world cup. Came down to the second to last ball, needed 5 runs off 2 balls. Elliot hits a 6. Hits it in to the stands. I couldn't believe it. That was unbearably intense. Elliot is seriously the legend of all legends.

Can't sleep, just watched New Zealand beat South Africa in the semi finals of cricket world cup. Came down to the second to last ball, needed 5 runs off 2 balls. Elliot hits a 6. Hits it in to the stands. I couldn't believe it. That was unbearably intense. Elliot is seriously the legend of all legends.

Well done NZ. It was exciting enough listening on the radio from the other end of the planet. Heaven only knows what Eden Gardens must've been like. SA choke again!

Now all we need is for the Black Caps to beat Aussie in the final. Come on NZ!

edit to add: the less said about England's woeful and shameful 'appearance' the better :w

Edited by mjazzg

Well done NZ. It was exciting enough listening on the radio from the other end of the planet. Heaven only knows what Eden Gardens must've been like. SA choke again!

edit to add: the less said about England's woeful and shameful 'appearance' the better :w

Cheers man. I've seen NZ choke in that situation so many times and as the game went on i was getting more and more of a sinking feeling. The whole country is buzzing today, it's amazing how for better or worse a sporting event can affect the mood of a nation. My mum's partner used to be a stock broker and he said business was always affected the following week depending on whether the All Blacks won or lost.

And yes, condolences about England. The current kiwi team is probably the best one day side we've ever fielded but we are well used to poor performances in previous years.

Cheers man. I've seen NZ choke in that situation so many times and as the game went on i was getting more and more of a sinking feeling. The whole country is buzzing today, it's amazing how for better or worse a sporting event can affect the mood of a nation. My mum's partner used to be a stock broker and he said business was always affected the following week depending on whether the All Blacks won or lost.

And yes, condolences about England. The current kiwi team is probably the best one day side we've ever fielded but we are well used to poor performances in previous years.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying it so much

I am of course hoping for a reversal of England/NZ fortunes come the Rugby World Cup :smirk:

I am of course hoping for a reversal of England/NZ fortunes come the Rugby World Cup :smirk:

Ha ha, ya never know! England are tough to beat, especially at home. And the ABs in the Rugby world cup have given us many classic examples of choking unfortunately. Almost always go in as favourites, have only won twice, both times at home. When we got knocked out by France in the cup before last, the scenes at work on the following monday were pretty hilarious actually. It was seriously like someone had died.

Ha ha, ya never know! England are tough to beat, especially at home. And the ABs in the Rugby world cup have given us many classic examples of choking unfortunately. Almost always go in as favourites, have only won twice, both times at home. When we got knocked out by France in the cup before last, the scenes at work on the following monday were pretty hilarious actually. It was seriously like someone had died.

I suspect home advantage is our only hope.....but hope we can. Let's start a thread (of two) come September

Well, just an update to provide closure, we went on to get pretty much thrashed by the Aussies in the final. Australia totally outplayed us on the day. Disappointed that we lost but more disappointed by the less than exciting match (Aussie cruised to victory in the end). At least it wrapped up early so i could get to bed at a reasonable hour. Hats off to the Aussies, they deserved to win.

I suspect home advantage is our only hope.....but hope we can. Let's start a thread (of two) come September

Will do!

Well, just an update to provide closure, we went on to get pretty much thrashed by the Aussies in the final. Australia totally outplayed us on the day. Disappointed that we lost but more disappointed by the less than exciting match (Aussie cruised to victory in the end). At least it wrapped up early so i could get to bed at a reasonable hour. Hats off to the Aussies, they deserved to win.

Will do!

Yes,a shame on two counts really. It would've been good to see NZ carry their run through to the final. It did all seem a bit of an anticlimax from this distance and as a neutral

Will do!

Yes,a shame on two counts really. It would've been good to see NZ carry their run through to the final. It did all seem a bit of an anticlimax from this distance and as a neutral

Yeah, it's a bit of a cliche but i think that the win against South Africa was our final. We blew our load as a team and as a country. The fact that we came so close to losing against SA was a major reality check for me and it kind of got me mentally prepared for losing against the Aussies. Plus i feel like it could have gone either way against SA and, as much as we deserved it, we were lucky just to be there in the final. Interesting contrast between the SA players after the match with NZ and the NZ players after the match with Aussie. The SA players fought so hard and came so close, they were in tears at the end. By comparison for the kiwis the final almost seemed like a non-event in the end (as gutted as i'm sure they were).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...