Abomination

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just got worse. I quit.

I was in the other room when the Aretha gospel scream-fest started and respectfully asked that the "mute" button be pressed. My God, that was awful. If that's what the heavenly choir sounds like, well.... to paraphrase Bon Scott, maybe hell ain't a bad place to be.

Foo Fighters were infinitely worse. Yet another thing I can blame on Kurt Cobain. I liked Grohl a lot better when he was playing the drums and keeping his yap shut.

Haven't been watching since.

I thought the Beatles tribute injected a bit of tasteful imagination into an otherwise bland hodgepodge of performances that painfully demonstrated why the record industry is going South. Cirque du Soleil never fails to entertain.

Tony Bennett needs to stop fumbling in the spotlight and rest on his laurels.

Love Aretha, but her appearances in recent years have not been good for her reputation.

Tina looks amazing for her age and it was good to see her again.

Wish Keely Smith hadn't been used as a prop for mediocre talent.

Alicia Keyes is not much of a talent with or without the ghost of Sinatra.

Amy Winehouse was pretty awful--much ado about very little.

Little Richards was, well, Little Richard--and that's good. No fading star, he.

Interesting that Obama won a Grammy and Bill Clinton didn't--both were nominated.

Beyonce is another minimal talent, IMO.

I would rather have heard Herbie play jazz. Haven't heard his Mitchell album, but it has to be better than Winehouse. Sorry to see him shaking like that.

Country singer Paisley (sp?) was good.

All in all a sad affair--50th Anniversary show ought to have been more than today's mediocrity with a few survivors thrown in.

Turned the tube on just in time to see Herbie win. Damn!

How old is the average age of Grammy voters?? THAT'S the answer as to why Herbie won.

I've got the whole sorry mess on tape to watch later. With remote in hand, and the 'fast forward' button never more than 5 mm from my index finger, I'll watch what I want and need to see in about 15 minutes flat.

20 seconds here (damn, that sucks), 20 seconds there (damn, that sucks EVEN MORE!), 20 seconds there (holy crap, is THAT ever a pile of steaming suck). You get the idea. ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I would rather have heard Herbie play jazz. Haven't heard his Mitchell album, but it has to be better than Winehouse. Sorry to see him shaking like that.

I didn't take that as anything more than the shock of winning, and nerves, when he fumbled and dropped his notes. Quincy Jones seemed to have more difficulty bending over to pick it up than anything.

Edited by Aggie87

It looks like River won twice:

Contemporary Jazz Album: ''River: The Joni Letters,'' Herbie Hancock.

Jazz Vocal Album: ''Avant Gershwin,'' Patti Austin.

Jazz Instrumental Solo: ''Anagram,'' Michael Brecker, soloist.

Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group: ''Pilgrimage,'' Michael Brecker.

Large Jazz Ensemble Album: ''A Tale of God's Will (A Requiem for Katrina),'' Terence Blanchard.

...and for B3er:

New Age Album: ''Crestone,'' Paul Winter Consort.
Edited by 7/4

Tony Bennett needs to stop fumbling in the spotlight and rest on his laurels.

I didn't see Bennett perform, but I have to agree with the above sentiment. He's dangling close to Sinatra territory of self-parody, right before he checked out for good.

Love Aretha, but her appearances in recent years have not been good for her reputation.

She looks awful. Is there a reason she's so big? I'm serious; I'm not trying to make fun of her.

Tina looks amazing for her age and it was good to see her again.

Yeah, she looks good; whether it's natural or not is anyone's guess, but having Beyonce up there really brought the performance down a few notches. Tina has more fire in her soul than ten Beyonce's, who sounded bored, lifeless, and uninspired throughout.

Wish Keely Smith hadn't been used as a prop for mediocre talent.

Alicia Keyes is not much of a talent with or without the ghost of Sinatra.

Amy Winehouse was pretty awful--much ado about very little.

Glad I missed these. Never had any use for Keyes. Winehouse is... well, I guess "awful" pretty much sums it up.

Little Richards was, well, Little Richard--and that's good. No fading star, he.

NOT glad I missed this. He's always entertaining. Hell, his GEICO commercial makes me laugh!!!

Interesting that Obama won a Grammy and Bill Clinton didn't--both were nominated.

Was Clinton nominated in another category besides the one in which he lost to Obama? (A trend which I hope will continue) ;)

Beyonce is another minimal talent, IMO.

See above. It's certainly worth repeating.

I get to have an opinion too.

The Joni Letters does nothing for me.

I listened once & gave it away.

And to think Herbie was so great back in the day (as they say).

I didn't see the show so know nothing about any of the performances.

We'll see re: Amy Winehouse.

I agree with the one other person in this thread who thinks she is talented.

"Rehab" has gone from one of the catchiest singles of the year to by far the most ironic. Thought Winehouse's performce was okay, but also hard to listen to with all the bagage attached.

Agree re: Tony Bennett, Aretha, and especially Jerry Lee Lewis. Little Richard still has it in spades, as does Tina, and I don't care what anyone says but I like the Foos far more than I ever did Nirvana.

Thought the Beatles tributes were fine; just shows that classic songs can be sung by almost anybody and be done well. I thought "Let it Be" was especially moving.

I almost fell out of my chair when Herbie won. From the sound of the crowd, I think everyone was surprised.