Abomination

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same reaction, dan. it must be 15 years or more since i watched the grammys. looking at the grammy website, it's really pitiful the kind of money-making crap that gets nominated. no wonder winehouse won five, look who she's competing against in most categories. as far as herbie goes, his big win just confirmed what i've been thinking for the past several years. the herbie we knew and loved is dead, but the music industry saw an opportunity to keep making money off his name, so they pulled a clever switch. that ain't herbie up there, it's a ...

rockit robot! robot.gif

I see no reason to get too passionate about it. It's just the Grammys.

It is nice to see a jazz album win album of the year. I thought it was cool to see River nominated, but before the end of the show I thought "no way he'll win, look at who else is nominated".

Let's hope this translates to a new level of awareness for Jazz and more people will check it out.

If you compare the current-day Grammy held by Herbie with the decades-old ones in Chris' photo (especially the speaker bracket on the one on the right lying on its side), it seems that the current-day Grammy lacks the detail and craftsmanship of the older ones:

t1home.hancock.ap.jpg

Grammymess2.jpg

Perhaps an apt metaphor?

as far as herbie goes, his big win just confirmed what i've been thinking for the past several years. the herbie we knew and loved is dead, but the music industry saw an opportunity to keep making money off his name, so they pulled a clever switch. that ain't herbie up there, it's a ...

rockit robot! robot.gif

:g

If you compare the current-day Grammy held by Herbie with the decades-old ones in Chris' photo (especially the speaker bracket on the one on the right lying on its side), it seems that the current-day Grammy lacks the detail and craftsmanship of the older ones:

t1home.hancock.ap.jpg

Grammymess2.jpg

Perhaps an apt metaphor?

Apt metaphor, and hardly surprising in this day and age. I'd say there are a lot of things made with less attention to detail and craftsmanship.

...Let's hope this translates to a new level of awareness for Jazz and more people will check it out.

nothing personal, but...lol.gif

Come on man, don't be so cynical.

Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

edit: another thought -> don't laugh, at least it wasn't Wynton - Wynton Blows His Horn, the spoken word album.

Edited by 7/4

I just don't get Winehouse...what a skank...

Sucks that she took the best new artist award away from Paramore...Hayley Williams can sing circles around Winehouse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-9qm0uL7fU

As John McEnroe used to say "you can't be serious". :ph34r::blink::mellow::cool:

And yes, I did watch the video as I had never heard of Paramore or Hayley Williams.

BTW - skank is a little harsh, I think she (Winehouse) looks more like a modern day Ronnette.

From Entertainment Weeky: "...The evening's second-most head-scratching moment, after Herbie Hancock's Album of the Year win. "

Typical: <_< Is it just so unbelievable that someone who isn't a rock or pop artist can actually win the award? God forfreakingbid.

LA Times among others were calling it an "upset" and the "biggest upset of the evening" or something.

From Entertainment Weeky: "...The evening's second-most head-scratching moment, after Herbie Hancock's Album of the Year win. "

Typical: <_< Is it just so unbelievable that someone who isn't a rock or pop artist can actually win the award? God forfreakingbid.

Not surprising. On CNN this morning the anchor commented "I didn't know Herbie Hancock was even still in the music business". :rolleyes:

Most of the press I've seen online mentions Winehouse profusely with Herbie barely a by-line. Although I would expect many of those who now go and buy Herbie's recording based solely upon his winning the award will not like it. Too mellow and understated (read "boring") for the pop crowd (as well as many of the jazz fans here!).

All I ever watch The Grammys for is the musical performances. And most years I just tape it, and go back and cherry pick the few things I'm mildly currious about.

On that basis alone, I actually thought this year wasn't all that bad. The Feist performance with the chamber horn section was really quite lovely, and I'd buy a recording of it (like as a bonus track or something) without much pause. The Foo Fighters with the orchestra (lead by John Paul Jones) was pretty cool too. Nothing earth shattering, but better than expected.

Tina Turner wasn't half bad, and it was kinda cool to see The Time again.

As someone said above, it's just The Grammys.

Going into it with low expectation, and a finger on the FF button really does improve things. I think I got through the whole thing in about 30 or 40 minutes this morning. Some of the music, here and there, wasn't half bad at all.