Abomination

Chuck Nessa

Has the Grammys show ever been worth watching? Even once, ever?

Sure. If you ask me - and if you have a genre-spanning appreciation of music, not just an "i dig jazz and everything else sucks" mentality - there's always something good mixed in with the crap. Many unique performances, artists mixing it up with each other, exposure to new music and genres. Maybe I'm just a "glass is half full" kind of guy, but I actually dug seeing Herbie perform "Rhapsody in Blue."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get Winehouse...what a skank...

Sucks that she took the best new artist award away from Paramore...Hayley Williams can sing circles around Winehouse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-9qm0uL7fU

As John McEnroe used to say "you can't be serious". :ph34r::blink::mellow::cool:

And yes, I did watch the video as I had never heard of Paramore or Hayley Williams.

BTW - skank is a little harsh, I think she (Winehouse) looks more like a modern day Ronnette.

Who knows - maybe she'll hook up with Phil Spector? :crazy:

There is irony in the fact that an awards ceremony whose sole purpose is to honor excellence has become a showcase for mediocrity. If this reflects the best there is, the music business is in worse shape than I thought.

Well, shit. I knew that. :lol:

Sucks that she took the best new artist award away from Paramore...Hayley Williams can sing circles around Winehouse...

As John McEnroe used to say "you can't be serious". :ph34r::blink::mellow::cool:

And yes, I did watch the video as I had never heard of Paramore or Hayley Williams.

BTW - skank is a little harsh, I think she (Winehouse) looks more like a modern day Ronnette.

Who knows - maybe she'll hook up with Phil Spector? :crazy:

We can only hope he shows her his gun collection ...

I get the message, but I'm not entirely sure there was any actual "destruction" there.....

No actual destruction, I just thought I'd use my Grammys to symbolize the sorry state of music today. I think the Grammy shows document the substandard popular music has reached.

i'm glad no actual grammy's were hurt during the photographing1

-_-

We'll see re: Amy Winehouse.

I agree with the one other person in this thread who thinks she is talented.

HEY! that's ME!!

:cool:

Me too, compared to what else is out there in the pop world.

c'mon folks close your eyes and listen to her - ignore her looks, her personal problems and just listen to the music.

i tell you she HAS talent!

From Entertainment Weeky: "...The evening's second-most head-scratching moment, after Herbie Hancock's Album of the Year win. "

Typical: <_< Is it just so unbelievable that someone who isn't a rock or pop artist can actually win the award? God forfreakingbid.

Not surprising. On CNN this morning the anchor commented "I didn't know Herbie Hancock was even still in the music business". :rolleyes:

Well, CNN isn't as hip as those pimpin' MSNBC cats.

EDIT: FWIW, I dig the Hancock album quite a bit. Played the heck out of it when I first got it. Shorter is great. It's a pretty well-thought-out album. Sensitive, yada, yada. Gave a copy to my non-jazz-lovin' sister for Christmas, so she'll be impressed with my expert taste ... maybe.

Edited by papsrus

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8...;show_article=1

Grammys a Ho-Hum Affair for TV Viewers

Feb 11 12:13 PM US/Eastern

By RYAN PEARSON

AP Entertainment Writer

51 Comments

Amy Winehouse Wins Big At Grammy Awards

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Amy Winehouse, Herbie Hancock and Kanye West didn't provide quite enough drama to enthrall television viewers. Preliminary estimates indicate the Grammy Awards telecast was watched by 17.5 million people.

Nielsen Media Research said Monday that would make it the third least- watched Grammy Awards ever if later estimates confirm those numbers.

Viewership is down from the 20 million people who watched last year. The 2006 awards, with 17 million viewers, is the Grammy low point. The show had 17.3 million viewers in 1995.

On a night filled with nods to the show's 50-year history, the most trophies went to Winehouse, a 24-year-old singer known for her old- soul voice. The most sought-after prize, for album of the year, went to veteran jazzman Hancock for his Joni Mitchell tribute disc.

c'mon folks close your eyes and listen to her - ignore her looks, her personal problems and just listen to the music.

Well, one has to close one's eyes, that's a given. Even so, there isn't much there to be admired. Those Grammys were wasted, but what else is new? I took a picture of 2 such wasted trophies this morning. :)

What is it about Winehouse that you like? What does she have that makes her stand out? Is she good by today's standards or by any standard? Whom would you compare her to?

A perplexed, inquiring mind wants to know. :)

Now, this is a wine house I can get with...

pierrefeu_maison_vins.jpg

Sure Winehouse "has talent", shouldn't that be a given? But what a trainwreck, and somehow a certain Joe Tex song kept coming to mind... I kinda enjoy Keeley and Kid Rock, it went off script and vered close to chaos; by contrast Herbie et al played well enuff but it was totally on script. Bouncey looked good, Tina didn't, neither one sang well and "Proud Mary" is supposed to be dbl time at the end and it wasn't even close. Overall I enjoyed it for what it was and didn't expect it to be something it isn't and ain't never been or gonna be.

The single most heartfelt and sincere moment of the entire show:

Country singer Vince Gill, picking up his award for best country album from Ringo, looked in the audience and said: "I just got a Grammy from a Beatle. Did that ever happen to you, Kanye?"

Meanwhile, I thought the Cirque du Soleil performance was nonsense and VERY silly. Nothing against the troup - they do fine work - but turning Beatles music into a performance piece just doesn't cut it. I wasn't even sure that Ringo's comment about it was very sincere (although I'm sure he's glad to have the income from it).

Beyonce should be embarrased trying to out-sing Tina. Her voice sounded like a wet rag in comparison.

What was the deal with the John Paul Jones-led (no pun intended) orchestra backing the Foo Fighters? And who were those kids playing 3 seconds of speed-music on their stringed instruments? Talk about a desperate attempt to entertain ... sheesh.

I think pretty much everything else has been addressed - just my own $.02.

Well, one has to close one's eyes, that's a given. Even so, there isn't much there to be admired. Those Grammys were wasted, but what else is new? I took a picture of 2 such wasted trophies this morning. :)

What is it about Winehouse that you like? What does she have that makes her stand out? Is she good by today's standards or by any standard? Whom would you compare her to?

A perplexed, inquiring mind wants to know. :)

Now, this is a wine house I can get with...

pierrefeu_maison_vins.jpg

i like the sound of her voice - and i like her phrasing.

she reminds me on anita o'day although she sounds nothing like her - its the phrasing.

Guest Bill Barton

I don't do TV so didn't see the show.

It seems pretty cool to me that Herbie won that category though, particularly when you consider the mass-market competition. I haven't heard the CD in question either.

Sucks that she took the best new artist award away from Paramore...

No, what really sucks is that Feist won nothing. (including New Artist) <_<

Hmmm...I thought her performance was weak...she seemed nervous and weird. Seemed like she had trouble singing cuz of the nerves...

I thought she was much better on SNL a couple months back...but I'm not compelled to seek out her music...meh...

Well...I am serious. I like what I like...

Yeah...skank was harsh...I been sick all weekend...but she gives me the creeps. Didja notice how she didn't blink even once during her entire performance? She was high as a kite...

And following Chris' assertion (or whomevers it was) that one should listen with eyes closed...nope, still does nuthin' for me...

IMHO...YMMV...etc...

Surprisingly enough, as much as I was cringing at the announcement of the Smith/Rock duet, I actually thought it worked in a bizarro way. They both seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor about it, too. I kept thinking of Kid Rock as a stringier-haired David Lee Roth without the "charm".

Surprisingly enough, as much as I was cringing at the announcement of the Smith/Rock duet, I actually thought it worked in a bizarro way. They both seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor about it, too. I kept thinking of Kid Rock as a stringier-haired David Lee Roth without the "charm".

i guess what shocked the industry is the Herbie won despite only selling 58,000 units. :rolleyes: