Abomination

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly enough, as much as I was cringing at the announcement of the Smith/Rock duet, I actually thought it worked in a bizarro way. They both seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor about it, too. I kept thinking of Kid Rock as a stringier-haired David Lee Roth without the "charm".

i guess what shocked the industry is the Herbie won despite only selling 58,000 units. :rolleyes:

That is shocking. To the extent I follow the Grammies (admittedly, practically not at all), I always had the impression there was a very high correlation between sales and probability of winning an award.

Record = single and album = album?

Exactly, and "song" does not equal "record" either". "Record" = song + performance + arrangement + production

America has mostly been a singles-oriented musical culture even before recording began (sheet music used to be the big thing).

I'm still confused. :wacko:

Surprisingly enough, as much as I was cringing at the announcement of the Smith/Rock duet, I actually thought it worked in a bizarro way. They both seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor about it, too. I kept thinking of Kid Rock as a stringier-haired David Lee Roth without the "charm".

Though did you notice how from the very start they were out of sync with the accompaniment? Usually the musicians compensate and follow the singers but for some reason they didn't budge for a loooooong time. Kid Rock trying to actually sing specific pitches was just plain sad. And then when they were trying to announce the winners Keely was really confused. Almost as much as Tony Bennett.....(Tony , it's time to stay home and paint. You've had a good run, but....)

Though did you notice how from the very start they were out of sync with the accompaniment? Usually the musicians compensate and follow the singers but for some reason they didn't budge for a loooooong time. Kid Rock trying to actually sing specific pitches was just plain sad. And then when they were trying to announce the winners Keely was really confused. Almost as much as Tony Bennett.....(Tony , it's time to stay home and paint. You've had a good run, but....)

Free, I didn't say it was a "good" performance, just an odd pairing of two people who seemed to be having a good time with it.

There weren't many (any?) good performances all evening, for that matter.

I'm sorry I wasted 3 hours. Every year I swear I'm not going to watch and somehow I always do.

Exactly, and "song" does not equal "record" either". "Record" = song + performance + arrangement + production

America has mostly been a singles-oriented musical culture even before recording began (sheet music used to be the big thing).

OK, I think I get it.

As in, Herbie didn't have a "song" off of the "album."

OK, I think I get it.

As in, Herbie didn't have a "song" off of the "album."

:blink::wacko::rfr:crazy:

There has been.

Maybe The Industry is sick of itself.

Or maybe it's a Joni thing.

Or maybe that "crossover" album that Herbie did last year had him "in the loop" for this one.

Who knows?

It's never as simple as that. The voting is pretty much what it's made out to be: everyone (who gets to vote) votes for either their favorite or for whoever they want to win it. Popular albums/artists are more popular, naturally, and get more votes. I've never bought all the "conspiracy theories" that plague award contests or top ten lists.

My guess is, this year, the votes were pretty damn close, with Herbie squeeking by as the bulk of the votes were split evenly between the other nominees.

I've actually liked the little Winehouse that I've heard -

anybody who smokes crack can't be all bad -

I wonder if it's possible to hold a conversation with her now.

I'd talk about her long legs, those great big lips, that....Wait, you mean a conversation, like two-way, With her?

Edited by MoGrubb

LIke some of you, I always tape it, and run through it the next day. There have been moments in past shows that made me glad I had seen them, although I agree that 90% of it is dreck.

It was nice to see Keely Smith, who was in pretty good voice, I thought, and I heartily agree that Kid Rock needs to be silenced, asap!

The John Fogerty/Jerry Lee/Little Richard segment was interesting. Jerry Lee was just plain terrible, and this is coming from a long time fan. Richard, however, still has the goods. And, they are the same age (72).

Like many, I've been hearing about Winehouse all year, and was curious to find out what all the excitement was about. I didn't think she was all that bad. That accent, though. Jeez!

Alicia Keys gets two numbers, why? The first one, with Sinatra, was forgettable, and demonstrates why rock & R&B singers don't understand how to perform a standard tune. The "emoting" amounts to oversinging, or "over-souling" as somebody called it. However, I kinda liked her later number - somewhat over the top, but entertaining, at least for the few minutes it was on.

I also thought the Beatles segment was OK. Didn't change my life, but it was entertaining.

The truncated "Rhapsody in Blue" was quite lame, and pretty stiff. The Chinese (?) pianist was a ham. All gesture, little nuance.

Although I didn't think much of the Hancock album, I'm glad too see a (sometime) jazz artist get the best album award.

time for everybody to grow up.

why you little twerp, you start this whole thing! ^_^

just what i thought, as long as chuck nessa watches the grammies there is no need for me to grow up ...

besides, i like the winehouse album back to black... not everything, somewhat ambivalent towards rehab (and the lyrics are silly even without her personal issues), my favorite is me and mr jones; imho of the many artists who are currently selling jazz-influenced pop music in large amounts (norah jones, michael buble, diana krall whoever) she is the only one who i know who does not have that creepy "adult contemporary" appeal, maybe authenticity is not quite the right word, but something similar

Like many, I've been hearing about Winehouse all year, and was curious to find out what all the excitement was about. I didn't think she was all that bad. That accent, though. Jeez!

heaven help me, but when i hear that accent, one person comes to mind...

huntz.gif

Mike? :unsure:

All I'm saying, is although River is really, REALLY not that great or special of an album (it has its moments, though), I'm really glad Kanye West didn't win.

But why do some media keep referring to 2001's Steely Dan win another "upset" for a "band way past it's prime"... Two Against Nature is one of their best, goddangit. :)

All I'm saying, is although River is really, REALLY not that great or special of an album (it has its moments, though), I'm really glad Kanye West didn't win.

But why do some media keep referring to 2001's Steely Dan win another "upset" for a "band way past it's prime"... Two Against Nature is one of their best, goddangit. :)

And Everything Must Go was better than that, which in turn was surpassed by Morph the Cat! Past their prime my fat ass; these guys keep getting better with age!

Edited by Big Al

And Everything Must Go was better than that, which in turn was surpassed by Morph the Cat! Past their prime my fat ass; these guys keep getting better with age!

Yes. Although of the three, Everything Must Go is my favorite.

As it happens I've never watched the Grammies. Don't see any reason to start, either.