Saxophonists who switch to other saxophones

BillF

Bud Shank played Baritone Sax on some recordings.

Bill Perkins mainly thought of as a tenor player, plays alto, baritone and soprano on some recordings.

Jimmy Giuffre known for his tenor and clarinet also played baritone.

Herb Geller plays alto and soprano.

Bob Mover plays alto and tenor.

Gary Foster plays alto and tenor.

Bob Efford plays tenor and baritone.

Al Cohn played baritone on a few recordings.

Joe Lovano plays tenor, alto and soprano.

Frank Wess plays tenor and alto.

Richie Kamuca played tenor and alto.

Shafi Hadi played alto and tenor.

Joe Maini played alto and tenor.

Charles Davis plays tenor and baritone.

Charlie Mariano plays alto and tenor.

Billy Root played tenor and baritone.

Rickey Woodard plays tenor and alto.

John Handy plays alto and tenor.

Cecil Payne played alto and baritone.

Med Flory plays alto, tenor, and baritone.

Hal McKusick plays alto and tenor.

Alan Barnes plays alto, tenor, and baritone.

Red Holloway plays alto and tenor.

Edited by Peter Friedman

But we're not talking about doublers and triplers, right? But those who switch from one to another.

Prince Lasha was known for alto and clarinet (as well as flute) but now plays baritone more often. His sound on that horn is really beautiful.

Ornette played tenor a lot in R&B and Chitlin-circuit bands, though didn't record on it other than the Atlantic session Ornette on Tenor.

Jackie McLean, iirc, started on tenor before switching to alto in his youth. Didn't Wayne Shorter start on alto?

I'd consider Ventura not someone who switched, rather (like a few others mentioned) one who used various horns most of the time... he also does some bass sax stuff on the Clef dates included on the Mosaic set.

Doesn't Ventura play bass sax on one of Dizzy's Philips dates from the early '60s? Memories from school days. :)

Joe Farrell plays tenor and soparano sax--and flute--on Jaki Byard's 1965 live recording at Lennie's-on-the-Turnpike (happen to be listening to "The Last From Lennie's" right now :rolleyes: ).

Farrell plays all that and more on Andrew Hill's Passing Ships, including English horn.

Gil Melle is another who switched from tenor to baritone during his Blue Note phase.

Illinois Jacquet also played bassoon, not quite a sax, but on one track of "Desert winds" - "Blues for the early bird" (or should that be "Bird"?) he played alto sax.

Oh yes, and Mike's quite right about Jug and Sonny each swapping over to baritone sax in their early fifties band. There are quite a few tracks in which that happens on Ammons' "The 78 era" twofer.

And one shouldn't fail to mention Maceo Parker, who made his name on tenor, then switched permanently to alto.

Pee Wee Ellis plays a mean baritone sax on "12 and more blues" - a very Rollins-ish baritone.

Rusty Bryant also made his name on tenor, but took up alto late in his career, though he continued to play tenor.

As did Clifford Scott. And Curtis Amy (but the soprano). Also Manu Dibango (also soprano).

Ah yes, Don Wilkerson made a 45 on alto sax (and vocal), late in his career.

MG

I'd consider Ventura not someone who switched, rather (like a few others mentioned) one who used various horns most of the time... he also does some bass sax stuff on the Clef dates included on the Mosaic set.

Doesn't Ventura play bass sax on one of Dizzy's Philips dates from the early '60s? Memories from school days. :)

Yep. 'Dizzy On The French Riviera'. A nice cameo spot for Ventura. Included on the Mosaic Dizzy set.

Edited by sidewinder

Yep. 'Dizzy On The French Riviera'. A nice cameo spot for Ventura. Included on the Mosaic Dizzy set.

gee, sometimes I really wish I was as old as you :g

Charles Lloyd started out on the alto, switched to the tenor, and returned to the alto for some of his duets with Billy Higgins on Which Way Is East. I've seen him play alto live since then, but I can't remember if he has recorded with it again after the set with Billy Higgins.

Illinois Jacquet also played bassoon, not quite a sax, but on one track of "Desert winds" - "Blues for the early bird" (or should that be "Bird"?) he played alto sax.

I've just been listening to Jacquet's Epic album and he plays alto on some tracks of that one. VERY Bebop alto! (But still very Jacquetish.)

MG