What time do you get up?

Well, the "jazz fans are night owls" cliche has pretty much been blown out of the water so far. Being "semi retired" I have a flexible schedule and generally get up when I wake up, whenever that might be. And I do tend to be something of a night owl, although I've never posted here past midnight Pacific Time.

Night owl here. I'm still on a bit of a grad-school schedule, though I finished in December and am in the job-hunt now. If I "have" to get up at a certain hour, say 6 or 7, I will.

When I was in school & working, my classes were mostly afternoon and my work ranged from an 8 am reference shift at the library to a 5 pm. I would generally get up and have a bowl of Grape Nuts about 20 minutes before my morning shift, then get on my bike and sprint to campus.

I usually get to bed about 2am, 4am if I have a gig. I like to sleep until at least 10am, if not 11am. Sometimes noon. But three days a week I have to get up with Zora. My wife heads to work at 8:30am, so regardless of whether I had a gig the previous night or not, I'm up.

That will all change soon with the new baby! :)

Wow, Lon! An eighteen-year-old cat! How nice to have an old friend around!

Yes, she's a good friend and company. The biggest drawbacks are: she wants me up earlier and earlier, and she wants to spend HOURS sleeping in my lap and I just can't sit still nearly as long as she wants me to, so we both get annoyed.

But very shortly after Helen moved to Austin we brought Marge home from the Pound when she was about eight weeks old, the tortoiseshell runt of a litter. She and Helen were bonded so tight there was little separating them.

It seems that everyone is grumpy today due to the time change. The thing I hate about it is. . . it's now dark again for my commute. :blink:

Weekdays, I get up at 6 AM, do the breakfast and shaving etc. thing, then hit the gym on the way to the office. I get home from work around 7:30 PM--sometimes earlier, sometimes later--and try to get to bed before 11. Not always successfully--if I get to bed at midnight or later, I get up at 6:30 or 7:00 AM and skip the morning gym, because I need my beauty sleep.

Weekends, I get up around 8:30-ish.

I can't fathom getting up at 4:30 AM. That's the middle of the night. Nor can I fathom going to the gym at 5:30. They don't open here until 7:30 anyway, so the question is moot.

I usually get to bed about 2am, 4am if I have a gig. I like to sleep until at least 10am, if not 11am. Sometimes noon. But three days a week I have to get up with Zora. My wife heads to work at 8:30am, so regardless of whether I had a gig the previous night or not, I'm up.

That will all change soon with the new baby! :)

From my experience, you will be sleeping in 1 to 2 hour blocks, whenever you can grab it. But you will be happy!

I get up at 4AM during the week. If I'm out late the night before, I may not go to bed until the following night. I'm usually in bed by 10PM.

I have two radios in my bedroom. One is tuned to NPR, the other to WSB (local news, talk radio). At 4AM the WSB radio turns on, replaying broadcasts of Neil Boortz' show. That will usually destroy any chance of falling back asleep. On the weekends they broadcast a different show and I sleep right though it.

On the weekends I wake up about 6AM, turn on the other radio and fall back asleep listening to NPR playing classical music. At some point the format changes over to news and I start having dreams about Iraq, the economy or global warming. Sometimes I wake up with an urge to donate money in exchange for a free download of a Garrison Keillor podcast or an NPR coffee mug. That's why I keep my telephone in another room.

Sometimes I forget which day it is and I have both radios playing when I wake up. With a headache.

Oh, and it goes without saying that I sleep alone.

My schedule is screwed, I work different hours almost everyday. Sometimes I get up at 5:00am to go in, sometimes I go in at 2pm and work till midnight. So I'm always having to adjust my sleep time.

My body "wants" me to wake up about 6:00am...but my body also DEMANDS an afternoon nap when I get up that early.

I always forget the different time zones in the USA - just assume a 6 hour difference from the UK. I notice San Francisco is 9 hours different.

The only place in the British Isles with a different time zone is Ireland. You might as well throw your watches away on arrival!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Winter = 4:30 am M-F

Summer = 3:30 am M-F

WTF????

Because of the nature of the business I am in, my telephone starts to ring early in the morning, no matter where I am. So, it's just always made more sense to come into the office first thing when the crews are starting the day.

The sucky part is I don't always go to sleep as early as I should.

That is when the daily nap becomes your friend. ;)

Winter = 4:30 am M-F

Summer = 3:30 am M-F

WTF????

Because of the nature of the business I am in, my telephone starts to ring early in the morning, no matter where I am. So, it's just always made more sense to come into the office first thing when the crews are starting the day.

The sucky part is I don't always go to sleep as early as I should.

That is when the daily nap becomes your friend. ;)

When I was at work, I used to find that twenty minutes kip after breakfast stopped me falling asleep at work.

MG

The only place in the British Isles with a different time zone is Ireland. You might as well throw your watches away on arrival!

Ireland?? Ireland is GMT just like England! Isn't it? I know when I telephone Ireland they're an hour behind Paris, same as when I telephone London.

Ireland?? Ireland is GMT just like England! Isn't it? I know when I telephone Ireland they're an hour behind Paris, same as when I telephone London.

Well, technically you are right. And the clocks will tell you the same thing that English clocks tell you.

But try going to a session that says 'Starts 9.30 p.m.'!

Last time I was there the authorities were tearing their hair out about a Gaelic football final where the habit is for the game to start....and then the pubs start to empty, causing a rush on the gates.

Read Flann O'Brien. It will all make sense.