Jazz In Paris

king ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked out a page that someone put together on MusicBrainz, based on my post. He alerted me to it a while back. He's added quite a bit to it since then.

Looking at that, I don't think - right now - it's necessary for me to flesh out my post and redo it.

Have a look:

http://wiki.musicbra...s/Jazz_in_Paris

Cheers!

Volkher

This looks real good and is a very useful site.

The only item I see missing is the very big Jazz In Paris box that gathered all four of the compilations sets.

Can't find a reference to it on the usual websites now but it showed up in stores one year ago!

This looks real good and is a very useful site.

The only item I see missing is the very big Jazz In Paris box that gathered all four of the compilations sets.

Can't find a reference to it on the usual websites now but it showed up in stores one year ago!

Guy,

does that mean they packaged the entire run of the initial boxed sets into one?

I've never seen a reference to that one.

Did they produce a new (huge) slipcase for that?

Questions.

Questions.

:)

If you ever find one, please let me know and I'll add it to my page.

@Other readers: My "Jazz in Paris" page has moved to a new location and the old post will be deleted in February.

New link: New "Jazz in Paris" page on my website.

I have decided to flesh out the page a bit more anyway ... will take a while until I get around to it though. For now, it's only been moved (sans the comments which are stuck with the old post). I will also add the new material which was mentioned in recent posts in this thread.

Edited by neveronfriday

No, they packed the four deluxe boxes (St. Germain, Mont... whatever they were called) in one big one... which I'd really love to have, but it was out only for a moment it seems, and probably cost a fortune and a half!

On second thought, that's maybe what you were asking? Or were you asking about a box containing the single discs #1-100 (101, or 112 or whatever was the final one... I have'em all so I don't care that much for them numbers ^_^ )

No, they packed the four deluxe boxes (St. Germain, Mont... whatever they were called) in one big one... which I'd really love to have, but it was out only for a moment it seems, and probably cost a fortune and a half!

I wanted to know about that one.

I've never seen a reference to it anywhere until I read Guy's post about it.

The other boxes (the 75-CD and the 25-CD one) plus the four single collection ones that were apparently repackaged in that new obscure one I have myself.

Plus all the rest. :)

@Other readers: My "Jazz in Paris" page has moved to a new location and the old post will be deleted in February.

New link: New "Jazz in Paris" page on my website.

jip0021.jpg

Same with the ones I have. Have you ever seen any without the glue spots? Probably unique to the copies that wound up w/Caiman, CD Universe, etc..

Never seen any without.

And yes, Caiman it was.

:)

[Edit: BTW: That image above doesn't show up for me. It just says (text): "Posted image".]

it was the photo jip 0021 in the 4th row (from the top) of your Jazz in Paris gallery.

Ah, OK.

Strange that I, of all people, can't see that. :)

I've added the "From Belgium with Love" boxed set to my page.

It looks fabulous, but that's still too much...

Lazy bastard that I am, may I ask again: is there a lot of music in there that isn't on the single (and hors série) discs?

Is it mostly different, partly different, or mostly selections from the regular CDs?

Most of the music appeared on the single CDs. What was not on those is mostly secondary interest.

However the books that go with them are priceless!

No doubt! Une fois! ;)

Weren't all the tracks recorded in Paris?

the django tracks are from brussels...

Which ones?

Just checked with the Jazz in Paris catalogue that says all Django tracks were recorded in Paris.

can't find a neat discography right now - iirc all of the place de brouckere JiP disc, the sessions with the bands of Fud Candrix and Stan Brenders (plus the duets with pianist Ivan de Bie)

[...]

Absolutely! I remember buying these four boxed sets from Caiman at some laughable price that time and the books in those boxes were worth that money and more to me.

I usually remove all the CDs from boxed sets and, if removable, keep the books and booklets in a cupboard in the living room. To be quite honest, there they usually .... just sit. And that's it.

Those four JiP boxed set books I take out regularly just for fun.

They are just nice books with lots of great photos and scans.

You're right, Niko!

The Jazz in Paris catalogue I checked listed all the JinP releases until nr. 101.

That's the one I have for download on that JiP page on my site (top of the page), isn't it?

The document I have says "Jazzman - Le Journal de tous les jazz" on it (front page). It starts with a timeline reaching from 1923 to 1970 by Alain Tercinet and then briefly lists all of the Cds up to number 101 with cover, track listing, personnel and recording date(s). The last page then shows the large 75-CD box and announces the (then) "last" 19 CDs in the series from #83 to #101.

P.S.: I've included the "Belgium" box on my list

Volkher, this is the cover of the Jazz in Paris DeLuxe edition (12 CDs):

93234.jpg

It shows as available from a vendor at amazon.fr. for 170 euros. That's nearly 240 greenbacks plus shipping!

gregmo

Thanks, Greg.

Had never seen that one.

[Edit: And after not having read this whole thread in ages, just noticed that it was talked about here when it came out].

:crazy:

Edited by neveronfriday

It looks fabulous, but that's still too much...

Lazy bastard that I am, may I ask again: is there a lot of music in there that isn't on the single (and hors série) discs?

Is it mostly different, partly different, or mostly selections from the regular CDs?

Most of the music appeared on the single CDs. What was not on those is mostly secondary interest.

Thanks - I guess I can live without them then... though of course having those books would be great!

a small discographical question... who was Mac Kac, why is he called a wild man, why is his real name sometimes given as "Andre Reilles" and sometimes as "Jean Baptiste Reilles" (have also seen Baptiste, Andre Baptiste...) - are these all the same person? the same guy who made rock'n'roll records and appears on these Paris jazz sessions? thank you!

Yes, it's the same person... the various names that are attributed to him stem obviously from his gypsy origins.

He was a very present drummer on the Paris scene after WWII.

Mac Kak and Pierre Michelot

3031577277_5b9607b1e3.jpg

Mac Kak hamming it up with Stéphane Grappelli

3032418640_d7bcda1c1b.jpg

Photos by Jean-Claude Bernath.

There's a story somewhere about his idea of practical jokes (must be in the liners of a Jazz in Paris CD, I think)... him riding a bike or running around the block where they club they played was located... naked, or course, in the middle of the night... or something. I guess that's why he's called a wild man... :lol:

He can be heard on the Grappelli album "Improvisations", which is part of the Jazz in Paris series (with three or four bonus tracks), but it also came out on this disc, which omits the bonus tracks but adds a ten inch album by Grappelli on piano (again with Mac Kac on drums):

61Y4Fc1QxfL.jpg

These duplifications between JiP and other Universal France/Gitanes/EmArcy discs that turned up around the same time is a bit weird... for instance, the content of the two Dizzy JiPs (the great small groups plus the second disc with the Operatic Strings) were also combined on a 2CD set that was also part of one of those series (Anniversary, Heritage? Is there any complete listing of those anywhere, btw?)