Jazz In Paris

king ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's another new box out, this time by Stephane Grappelli - happened to see it by chance on the amazon.fr website:

51XRQ98W9zL._SS500_.jpg

Stephane Grappelli in Paris (Coffret 7 CD)

Disque 1

1. Them There Eyes

2. Flamingo

3. Makin' Whoopee

4. Looking At You

5. Walkin' My Baby Back Home

6. My One And Only Love

7. Thou Swell

Disque 2

1. I Won'T Dance

2. The Folks Who Live On The Hill

3. Autumn Leaves

4. My Heart Stood Still

5. Blues For Musidisc

6. If I Had You

Disque 3

1. The Lady Is A Tramp

2. Fascinatin' Rhythm

3. Dans La Vie

4. Cheek To Cheek

5. A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

6. Taking A Chance On Love

7. 'S Wonderful

8. Someone To Watch Over Me

9. If I Had You

10. Body And Soul

11. I Want To Be Happy

12. She'S Funny That Way

13. Time After Time

14. Just One Of Those Things

15. Slow En Ré Majeur (I'Ll Be Around)

16. Taking A Chance On Love

17. Someone To Watch Over Me

Disque 4

1. It'S All Right With Me

2. You'Re The Top

3. Anything Goes

4. In The Still Of The Night

5. You'Ve Got A Thing

6. Miss Otis Regrets

7. I'Ve Got You Under My Skin

8. Love For Sale

9. Easy To Love

10. You'D Be So Nice To Come Home To

11. Let'S Do It, Let'S Fall In Love

12. My Heart Belongs To Daddy

Disque 5

1. How High The Moon

2. Blues In The Dungeon

3. Skip It

4. S'Posin'

5. Willow Weep For Me

6. This Can'T Be Love

Disque 6

1. Django

2. Nuages

3. Alabamy Bound

4. You Better Go Now

5. Le Tien

6. Like Someone In Love

7. Minor Swing

8. Daphné

9. Soft Winds

10. Makin' Whoopee

11. How About You ?

12. Pent-Up House

Disque 7

1. The Nearness Of You

2. Night And Day

3. Don'T Worry 'Bout Me

4. Tangerine

5. I Can'T Believe That You'Re In Love With Me

6. Lady Be Good

7. Lover Man

8. Birth Of The Blues

9. Aime-Moi

10. Viens Au Creux De Mon Epaule

Didn't yet compare with the original JiP discs of his, but there's definitely more material on it (the amazon.fr title adds [bonus] to the description).

The first six discs are direct re-releases (no bonus tracks) of six volumes in the series:

Oscar Peterson/Stephane Grappelli Quartet, vol. 1

Oscar Peterson/Stephane Grappelli Quartet, vol. 2

Stephane Grappelli, Improvisations

Stephane Grappelli Plays Cole Porter

Stephane Grappelli and Stuff Smith, Stuff and Steff

Stephane Grappelli, Django

The seventh one, however, is new. AMG now lists a 2008 release in the Jazz in Paris by Grappelli titled "The Nearness of You" which includes all these tracks. My understanding was that Gitanes had decided to end the series, but this one suggests not. Does anyone know of any other new releases in the series this year?! It's a great series, and I've tried to make sure I have all of them.

Greg Mo

Thanks for doing the comparison-work, Greg!

I forgot about the Stuff & Steff and the two discs with OP - indeed there are six Grappelli JiPs then!

Will look for that single disc then... I'm also a big fan and own all of the series (except for a few discs which I have the music of as part of box sets, such as the Pres and the Roach). Don't know of any other recent activities in the series, though.

51XRQ98W9zL._SS500_.jpg

It may have been mentioned SOMEWHERE on this thread already, but another thing I like about this series is the cover photos, which tend to be great. The one above is a perfect example. A non-musical consideration admittedly, but a nice extra in my book.

Edited by BruceH

51XRQ98W9zL._SS500_.jpg

It may have been mentioned SOMEWHERE on this thread already, but another thing I like about this series is the cover photos, which tend to be great. The one above is a perfect example. An non-musical consideration admittedly, but a nice extra in my book.

Actually, I think that has been remarked on, but it bears repeating--the photos are cool, and the remastering is generally very good, even if the timings on some of the cds are pretty stingy, and available bonus tracks weren't always reissued.

I'm thinking maybe this new Grappelli single (The Nearness of You) might be a "one-off" like the Django Reinhardt "Place de Brouckere" was. That one also followed the issuing of a box set collecting prior issues by Reinhardt in the series and one disc of new stuff. Interestingly, *that* one was followed by another ten or so volumes in the series, so I guess hope springs eternal! It's a very cool series.

Greg Mo

• 5 weeks later...

I'm thinking maybe this new Grappelli single (The Nearness of You) might be a "one-off" like the Django Reinhardt "Place de Brouckere" was. ....

So has anyone been able to get a line on ordering the Grappelli The nearness of you in the US? Dustygroove will probably be the most reasonable when they actually get it in stock, but no guarantee when that will be. I came close to pulling the trigger at Amazon.fr but they wanted 10 Euros shipping, which I thought was a bit steep. (Maybe with the base price being so low it still works out to be reasonable, but if there is a US distributor I'd rather go that way.)

I'm thinking maybe this new Grappelli single (The Nearness of You) might be a "one-off" like the Django Reinhardt "Place de Brouckere" was. ....

So has anyone been able to get a line on ordering the Grappelli The nearness of you in the US? Dustygroove will probably be the most reasonable when they actually get it in stock, but no guarantee when that will be. I came close to pulling the trigger at Amazon.fr but they wanted 10 Euros shipping, which I thought was a bit steep. (Maybe with the base price being so low it still works out to be reasonable, but if there is a US distributor I'd rather go that way.)

I did *exactly* the same thing! Looked at Amazon.fr and decided the shipping was too steep, so I'm waiting for my email notification from Dustygroove that they have it in. I just have to have patience, I guess--not my most notable quality!

greg mo

I did *exactly* the same thing! Looked at Amazon.fr and decided the shipping was too steep, so I'm waiting for my email notification from Dustygroove that they have it in. I just have to have patience, I guess--not my most notable quality!

greg mo

I did notice that the shipping didn't go up appreciably when adding 2 or 3 copies of the Grappelli to my cart. :w

I figure I'll wait until spring to see if Dusty gets it in and, if not, then perhaps see if a few folks on the board want to split the shipping. Even after redistributing within the US, there would still be some savings. It works out to about 13 Euros (each) for 2 copies and I think 11 Euros for 3.

greg mo

I did notice that the shipping didn't go up appreciably when adding 2 or 3 copies of the Grappelli to my cart. :w

I figure I'll wait until spring to see if Dusty gets it in and, if not, then perhaps see if a few folks on the board want to split the shipping. Even after redistributing within the US, there would still be some savings. It works out to about 13 Euros (each) for 2 copies and I think 11 Euros for 3.

I just wrote 'em an email whining about it, asking when they might get it in. Maybe it'll motivate them to check up on it. Or maybe not!

greg mo

The Vogue Masters digipack? I think I've seen it recently in sales bins, but not in current sales - the shops usually go by labels and BMG is sort of in between... part of Sony sales nowadays, but right now they have EMI in the stores here. I can keep my eyes open though, if you're not in a hurry.

Yeah, that would be the one. :) I've been looking for it for ages, not in a hurry at all. For

some reason it doesn't seem to be offered at all on the net, not even for ridiculous prices.

No idea what's up with that, but if you find a copy in a sales bin, please pick it up for me! :)

Yeah, that would be the one. :) I've been looking for it for ages, not in a hurry at all. For

some reason it doesn't seem to be offered at all on the net, not even for ridiculous prices.

No idea what's up with that, but if you find a copy in a sales bin, please pick it up for me! :)

Ok, will keep my eyes open - let me know (by PM or email, I might miss it here) if you find it yourself, please!

• 1 month later...

I posted a short review a while ago here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...&pid=449707

One of my underlings from the Reich asked how the new Fohrenbach set was - I though this here was the right place to answer that question.

5310914.jpg

So here's a few impressions:

First session (CD1 #1-8), rec. 1954: rather conventional swing-to-bop mainstream, with nice tenor playing by Fofo (as it seems he was called).

Second part (CD1#9-12, CD2#1-4): OUTSTANDING STUFF! First half of this 10 incher with the weird title "Mais qu'avez-vous donc fait de la face chachée de la lune, docteur Fohrenbach?" contains the "visible" side of the moon: a great quartet session with the trio of the late Arvanitas (Jacky Samson, bass - erroneously listed as playing guitar - and Charles Saudrais - drums). Four great cuts, all originals by Fohrenbach, who's sound is by now significantly different, more modern, very nice! This is from 1978, btw. Second side ("invisible" half of the moon) contains "you can do everything with a tenor sax and a magnetophone": experimental overdubbed tracks featuring Fofo and tapes of more Fofo, tenor exclusively, except for one track that also contains piano. Great version of "Peanuts Vendor", plus a standard "Body and Soul" and Giuffre's "Four Brothers", in addition to two more of his own pieces, "Narcissus 1" and "Narcissus 2".

Then on we go wiht the unreleased portions of the set: first there's his band Sexfide (feat Roger Guérin & Bernard Vitet on trumpet, Pierre Cullaz on guitar, Bibi Rovère on bass and Jean-Louis Viale on drums). Four lenghty cuts from 1966, of which I've up to know only heard the first one,s o I cannot say a lot about this date or what follows (a track with Geo Daly also from 1966, three tracks with Fofo on organ and unknown orchestra, plus one last cut from 1963 with Ivan Jullien (he's on the Porgy & Bess JiP) and a couple of others unknown to me.

In short: the Sexfide and magnétophone tracks to me have a vibe similar to Gil Mellé's music: experimental, yet swingin, cool, yet passionate at moments. Very very nice music! The date with Arva is great, the early sides are good, too. No idea how good the rest of disc 2 is, though, since I haven't yet heard it. But from what I've heard so far, it should be good, too!

I largely agree with King Ubu's review of the Jean-Claude Fohrenbach 2-CD set.

Leaning very much towards pre-free 50s modern jazz (which is what I picked up this set for as Fohrenbach's 50s recordings have fared rather badly on the reissue market so far), I was pleasantly surprised to see how his later recordings proved to be a seamless evolution of his earlier work.

I'm usually a bit wary of latter-day recordings of 50s jazzmen as you often end up with funked-up, contrivedly free playing, droning, overrecorded basses and other sounds clearly geared to prove they were able to "hang in with the younger cats" but IMHO this one presents a sound and logical evolution of the music. The comparison with Gil Melle (from all I've heard of Gil Melle, which is far from exhaustive) seems to be quite apt.

Yeah, that Mellé comparison and the fact that I finally got my record player hooked up in the flat I'm actually spending most of my time leads up to me wanting to play "Tome VI" again soon... the Fofo I got to play again as well, it's nice! (All three of those "hors série" 2CD sets are nice, the Distel may be my favourite, though the album on disc two is a bit weak).

Has anyone else noticed that Dusty Groove has dropped all mention of Grappelli's "Nearness of You" from its list? I'd sort of hoped they'd get it. The only place I can still find it is www.amazon.fr, and the shipping is 10 euros! :angry: Has anyone found it anywhere on the American side of the water?

greg mo

just in case anyone hasn't started their jazz in paris collections

the from belgium with love box for 9$

http://www.amazon.com/Belgium-Love-Various...8558&sr=1-2

(just 5 single cds in a cardboard box, including two of the very best Jazz in Paris discs, Rene Thomas "Real Cat" and Bobby Jaspar "At Club St Germain des Pres" plus three more which are no slouches either, Django Reinhardt "Place de Brouckere" (not so great recording quality but you get to her django on violin on two selections...), and the cds by Gus Viseur and Toots Thielemans (on guitar and occasional whistling, no harmonica... with the great georges arvanitas on piano...))

(just 5 single cds in a cardboard box, including two of the very best Jazz in Paris discs, Rene Thomas "Real Cat" and Bobby Jaspar "At Club St Germain des Pres" plus three more which are no slouches either, Django Reinhardt "Place de Brouckere" (not so great recording quality but you get to her django on violin on two selections...), and the cds by Gus Viseur and Toots Thielemans (on guitar and occasional whistling, no harmonica... with the great georges arvanitas on piano...))

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the tip.

Very good ones! The Thielemans is fine, the Viseur was a big surprise - lovely accordion playing in a perfectly straight setting!

And of course I fully agree on the Jaspar and Thomas!

Thanks for the tip.

Very good ones! The Thielemans is fine, the Viseur was a big surprise - lovely accordion playing in a perfectly straight setting!

And of course I fully agree on the Jaspar and Thomas!

I didn't have any of these (except possibly the Django from other sources); the box sounds interesting and impossible to pass up for $8.95 plus $2.98 shipping.