Jazz In Paris

king ubu

the django are the april and may 1942 brussels sessions, http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/djanm2.html

don't think they are that well-known (don't have the cd here, four tracks are piano/django duetts, iirc the rest feature django with two different big bands (names didn't tell me much, the big bands of stan brenders and fud candrix), one with django's rhythm section of the time, the other with a different rhythm section; one of the big bands has a string section added...)

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else noticed that Dusty Groove has dropped all mention of Grappelli's "Nearness of You" from its list? I'd sort of hoped they'd get it. The only place I can still find it is www.amazon.fr, and the shipping is 10 euros! :angry: Has anyone found it anywhere on the American side of the water?

greg mo

FWIW, it still shows up in my wish list (as Out of Stock). I wrote to them today asking about it. If I don't get a satisfactory answer, I think it will be time to pool resources and get 2-5 people together to put in an order from Amazon.fr (actually FNAC has it but shipping was even worse if I recall). I'll let you know.

Eric

Has anyone else noticed that Dusty Groove has dropped all mention of Grappelli's "Nearness of You" from its list? I'd sort of hoped they'd get it. The only place I can still find it is www.amazon.fr, and the shipping is 10 euros! :angry: Has anyone found it anywhere on the American side of the water?

greg mo

FWIW, it still shows up in my wish list (as Out of Stock). I wrote to them today asking about it. If I don't get a satisfactory answer, I think it will be time to pool resources and get 2-5 people together to put in an order from Amazon.fr (actually FNAC has it but shipping was even worse if I recall). I'll let you know.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I may actually be in Paris for a few days in July, so if we haven't worked something out by then, I could possibly pick up a few copies at a FNAC while I'm there--assuming I can find them!

greg mo

Thanks Eric. I may actually be in Paris for a few days in July, so if we haven't worked something out by then, I could possibly pick up a few copies at a FNAC while I'm there--assuming I can find them!

greg mo

Now why didn't I think of that? And here I was all pleased with myself for working out a weekend trip to New York and Philly. ;)

the django are the april and may 1942 brussels sessions, http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/djanm2.html

don't think they are that well-known (don't have the cd here, four tracks are piano/django duetts, iirc the rest feature django with two different big bands (names didn't tell me much, the big bands of stan brenders and fud candrix), one with django's rhythm section of the time...

Just listening to that music (in addition to the reissues in the discog of your link, it's also been on a French Polydor LP that I own). Very intriguing hearing Django in front and as the main featured artist with BIG bands (as opposed to very noticeable rhythm guitarist with only relatively brief solos, e.g. with Alix Combelle's band). And though the Fud Candrix and Stan Brenders bands seen to be relatively laid-back (to give Django more room and accommodate his guitar style better) they could be VERY hard-hitting so by the standards of those times they could hold their own with many white bands (not only European).

In short, it's well worth picking up to provide yet another facet beyond that of the Quintet of the HCDF etc.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

greg mo

Eric

I'd be happy to go in with others to get this disc, since it is one of the few I don't have. Let me know

greg mo

Now why didn't I think of that? And here I was all pleased with myself for working out a weekend trip to New York and Philly. ;)

Well you just gotta sacrifice for the music, you know?! :rolleyes:

greg mo

• 1 month later...

Very good Jazz in Paris resource here:

http://livingwithmusic.com/2007/03/09/jazz...comment-page-1/

Volkher continues to add new info and blog updates recently.

Thank you to the women of the house for allowing me to recently pick up the 75 and 25 box sets for being a good Mr. Mom this year.

I couldn't agree more. Volkher is wonderful and very conscientious about keeping this list up to date.

greg mo

• 9 months later...

I know that this set contains the 4 tracks from that Zoot Sims-Henri Renaud 'Night Session in Paris' 10" .....but is any of the Ducretet-Thomson material (recorded same year ..1956?) also hiding out on one of the 100 cds?

The session was not part of the 'Jazz in Paris' series but was reissued on the short-lived 'Americans Swinging in Paris' from EMI France:

516uIkm7OHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I know that this set contains the 4 tracks from that Zoot Sims-Henri Renaud 'Night Session in Paris' 10" .....but is any of the Ducretet-Thomson material (recorded same year ..1956?) also hiding out on one of the 100 cds?

The session was not part of the 'Jazz in Paris' series but was reissued on the short-lived 'Americans Swinging in Paris' from EMI France:

516uIkm7OHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ahhh, I see. Thanks, Brownie. When you say 'short-lived,' I'm assuming that's code for 'it's long oop and you stand a better chance of finding a decent cigar & martini club in Khartoum than locating the CD' ?

french and german amazon still have reasonably priced copies... amazon.fr has many of the americans swinging in paris cds on sale for 9,45 Euro actually... the Lucky Thompson from that series is a big favorite (no overlap with the vogue and jazz in paris cds which are also great, but i like this on best)

Ahhh, I see. Thanks, Brownie. When you say 'short-lived,' I'm assuming that's code for 'it's long oop and you stand a better chance of finding a decent cigar & martini club in Khartoum than locating the CD' ?

Wouldn't spend five minutes trying to locate a martini club in Khartoum... but if I were you I'ld try to locate a copy of this CD:

R-150-1716881-1238963087.jpeg

Zoot Sims in Paris

from the long gone EMI Jazztime series. It has the full Ducretet-Thompson session plus the Club Français du Disque date recorded one day earlier with almost the same players.

That's the copy I listen to when I want to listen to all this!

I also have a copy of the Ducretet-Thompson ten-incher (condition OK) but I keep that one until I will need money to buy me Havana cigars!

Okay, I'll look around for that one.

.......but geez, how many different 'Zoot Sims in Paris' discs are out there? There's the Vogue one.....then the copy (I have the Toshiba release) w/ 'Zoot's Blues,'A Flat Blues,' etc on it......plus this one you've just mentioned. Any others?

The Toshiba is the December 1961 date from the Blue Note club. The others are from March 1956. That's the lot.

Shame on the BN label people for never reissuing that 1961 date from their United Artists files :excited:

The Toshiba is the December 1961 date from the Blue Note club.

Odd thing about that Toshiba (9359) is that the only place (inside or out) that you'll find any info about the musicians is on the japanese language obi. Norman Weiser's cover liner notes gives you zero info.....doesn't even mention the club. :blink:

french and german amazon still have reasonably priced copies... amazon.fr has many of the americans swinging in paris cds on sale for 9,45 Euro actually... the Lucky Thompson from that series is a big favorite (no overlap with the vogue and jazz in paris cds which are also great, but i like this on best)

Thanks, just ordered it -- as well as Jazz Sur La Croisette : Cannes 1958 -- from Amazon.fr.

The Thompson was gone.....but found a decent priced $7 copy from a seller in Asia.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Am not sure if the track info on amazon.fr is correct and complete for that Zoot Sims CD from this series, but according to their site this CD only includes the 7 tracks (rec. 16/03/56) from the Ducretet-Thomson LP that was also reissued on this LP in the 80s:

img-1810387b714.jpg

The 4 tracks from that "other" session done under the supervision of Ducretet-Thomson (Charlie Was In Rouen/Crazs Rhythm/Charlie Went To Cherbourg/I've Found A New Baby)that was released on Club Francais de Disque J95 (and also on other "Club" labels such as DSC (German) C65) are not listed.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The Toshiba is the December 1961 date from the Blue Note club.

Odd thing about that Toshiba (9359) is that the only place (inside or out) that you'll find any info about the musicians is on the japanese language obi. Norman Weiser's cover liner notes gives you zero info.....doesn't even mention the club. :blink:

I have a Japanese LP reissue from King of this (UA K18P-9224). That was an exact replica of the original UA with the Norm Weiser notes and no personnel listing either. Not even an obi!

Man, they're really milking that series for every cent it's worth. :mellow:

I'll add the new stuff on the weekend.

On another note.

I'm thinking of turning that old post into a page much like the Mosaic one and give it more permanent residence on my site (at the top, there'll be a drop-down menu entitled "Discographies and Lists" which will then offer access to the various pages, Mosaic Discographies, Jazz in Paris, Les Trésors du Jazz, plus a bunch of other lists that I have accumulated.

To get me started on this, does anyone have an Excel (or any other table format!) file with this "Jazz in Paris" stuff (as much of it as possible) listed in a strict tabular format (f.ex. Artist, CD Nr. Title, whatever ...)?

If yes, could that person let me have it?

That would save me a ton of typing time.

Thanks!

Edited by neveronfriday

Just checked out a page that someone put together on MusicBrainz, based on my post. He alerted me to it a while back. He's added quite a bit to it since then.

Looking at that, I don't think - right now - it's necessary for me to flesh out my post and redo it.

Have a look:

http://wiki.musicbra...s/Jazz_in_Paris

Cheers!

Volkher

Edited by neveronfriday