Concord Music Group

BeBop

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

585 is the highest OBC number I know.

There are some more. As far as I know, the numbers went up to 595.

586 Lightnin’ Hopkins – Straight blues (BV compilation apparently)

587 Pink Anderson – Medecine show man (BV1051)

588 Rev Gary Davis – Have a little faith (BV1032)

589 Sonny Terry – And his mouth harp (Riv 644)

590 Driftin’ Slim – Somebody hoo-doo’d the Hoo-Doo man (Miles 93004)

591 Jimmy Witherspoon – Blue Spoon (PR7327/7418) (seems to be a twofer)

592 Rev Gary Davis – Guitar & banjo of (PR Folklore 14033)

593 Arbee Stidham – Tired of wandering (BV1021) (I have this one)

594 Scrapper Blackwell – Mr Scrapper’s blues (BV1047)

595 Smokey Babe – Hottest brand goin’ (BV1063)

MG

I have the Driftin' Slim and Scrapper Blackwell--but I didn't know there was a small gap. I was including the OBCs as OJCs.

Ah, right!

MG

Another blow to the wallet:

Cry!-Tender - Yusef Lateef

Drums Around the World - Philly Joe Jones

Trombone by Three - JJ Johnson/Kai Winding/Benny Green

Appassionado - Joe Pass

The Modern Touch - Benny Golson

Groovin with Golson - Benny Golson

Gone with Golson - Benny Golson

All Too Soon - Milt Jackson/Joe Pass/Ray Brown/Mickey Roker

Soulmates - Ben Webster/Joe Zawinul

From All Sides - Vince Guaraldi

quadrant - Milt Jackson/Joe Pass/Ray Brown/Mickey Roker

Duke with a Difference - Clark Terry

Serenade to a Bus Seat - Clark Terry

Dizzy's Big 4 - Dizzy Gillespie

Another blow to the wallet:

Cry!-Tender - Yusef Lateef

Drums Around the World - Philly Joe Jones

Trombone by Three - JJ Johnson/Kai Winding/Benny Green

Appassionado - Joe Pass

The Modern Touch - Benny Golson

Groovin with Golson - Benny Golson

Gone with Golson - Benny Golson

All Too Soon - Milt Jackson/Joe Pass/Ray Brown/Mickey Roker

Soulmates - Ben Webster/Joe Zawinul

From All Sides - Vince Guaraldi

quadrant - Milt Jackson/Joe Pass/Ray Brown/Mickey Roker

Duke with a Difference - Clark Terry

Serenade to a Bus Seat - Clark Terry

Dizzy's Big 4 - Dizzy Gillespie

Many excellent choices Al! The Golsons, the Clark Terrys, and I really like the Ben Webster, 'cause (besides Ben and "Joe's Avenue") I love Thad in any way, shape or form- he has a great tune he wrote on "In Walked Love" changes. Guess which one it is! :rhappy:

I'd be willing to throw in $ 200 and order all the titles still interesting to me, but they'd charge $ 60 for Fedex shipping to Germany! :angry: Considering there will be tax and customs charged, the advantage of the € is more than gone ...

Edited by mikeweil

oh well, still so many goodies around, I must have bought 200 OJCs at least, since the ZYX deal ran out and zweitausendeins had their huge sales, then last year's Concord sale, tons from Newbury... add the boxes (Bill Evans, Dexter, Mingus Debut, Joe Henderson) and I guess it's closer to 400 than 200... crazy... yet here's what I just ordered:

Booker Ervin, Pony Poindexter & Larry Young

Gumbo!

PRCD-24229-2IN STOCK 1 CD$13.98 Frank Foster

Fearless Frank Foster

OJCCD-923-2IN STOCK 1 CD$8.98 Eric Kloss

Sky Shadows In The Land Of The Giants

PRCD-24217-2IN STOCK 1 CD$13.98 Eric Kloss & The Rhythm Section

Eric Kloss & The Rhythm Section

PRCD-24125-2IN STOCK 1 CD$13.98 Shelly Manne

Shelly Manne & His Men, Vol. 2

OJCCD-1910-2IN STOCK 1 CD$10.98 Shelly Manne

Vol. 4: Swinging Sounds

OJCCD-267-2IN STOCK 1 CD$8.98 Max Roach Quartet

Featuring Hank Mobley

OJCCD-202-2IN STOCK 1 CD$8.98 Johnny Griffin

Change Of Pace

OJCCD-1922-2

23 bucks for shipping, almost made up by the 20% off - that option I think (USPS instead of UPS or DHL or whatever they use) is only there for international orders below 100$, possibly? (I had the cart filled with a 400$ order last week just to see how many things I'd still like to get... several of the ones in this list though I think had been OOP already before they "found" more and did last year's sale, and hence I assume some of these will soon be gone again... and I skipped others that I thought would be around longer, but then how could I know...)

I also found two Lem Winchesters in a used store last week, the yellow one with Golson and "Another Opus" (great cover on the later!)

I am too tired to do the math. Which deal is slightly better?, the Buy 9, Get the 10th Free w/ Free Shipping from a while back or this 20% Off Deal? It's late. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

1 of 10 is otherwise also known as 10%, so go figure...

The Dexter is fine! Though several of us yurpeens will fondly remember the crazy months when the ZYX license ran out and zweitausendeins was selling it for much less dollari.

Those were the days! :excited:

I am too tired to do the math. Which deal is slightly better?, the Buy 9, Get the 10th Free w/ Free Shipping from a while back or this 20% Off Deal? It's late. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Right, what about the added free shipping though? I guess it depends on how many items you are ordering... $15 max... never mind my rambling... :blink:

Right, what about the added free shipping though? I guess it depends on how many items you are ordering... $15 max... never mind my rambling... :blink:

sorry, forgot about that... shipping is hilariously expensive for us yurpeens, even if they offer free shipping in the US, they charge something like 30$ for a 100$ order and from there it goes up a $ or two with each CD you add... and their FAQ site still says they don't ship internationally anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

I just placed an order tonight and the 20% off sale continues at least for now. Bought:

Jimmy Heath - On The Trail

Phineas Newborn - The Newborn Touch

Junior Mance - Happy Time

Booker Ervin - Groovin' High

Roy Haynes and Booker Ervin - Cracklin'

Kenny Dorham - Blue Spring

Mal Waldron - Mal 2

Total $54.77 with free shipping. :tup

• 3 weeks later...

585 is the highest OBC number I know.

There are some more. As far as I know, the numbers went up to 595.

586 Lightnin’ Hopkins – Straight blues (BV compilation apparently)

587 Pink Anderson – Medecine show man (BV1051)

588 Rev Gary Davis – Have a little faith (BV1032)

589 Sonny Terry – And his mouth harp (Riv 644)

590 Driftin’ Slim – Somebody hoo-doo’d the Hoo-Doo man (Miles 93004)

591 Jimmy Witherspoon – Blue Spoon (PR7327/7418) (seems to be a twofer)

592 Rev Gary Davis – Guitar & banjo of (PR Folklore 14033)

593 Arbee Stidham – Tired of wandering (BV1021) (I have this one)

594 Scrapper Blackwell – Mr Scrapper’s blues (BV1047)

595 Smokey Babe – Hottest brand goin’ (BV1063)

MG

The last in the OBC series, which seems to be out of print generally, is still available on amazon.com from newbury for $7 or so. As it turns out, Smokey Babe (a man) put out one of the best CDs in this blues series. He's a masterful country blues guitar player, very propulsive, and a fine singer. At the time of this recording, he was working at a gas station, and little is known about him, except that he is thought to have died in 1975.

• 1 month later...

The Dexter is fine! Though several of us yurpeens will fondly remember the crazy months when the ZYX license ran out and zweitausendeins was selling it for much less dollari.

Indeed. Wasn't it about $30 Euro-zlotties? And they were even doing $30 Mosaics back then too !

Indeed. Wasn't it about $30 Euro-zlotties? And they were even doing $30 Mosaics back then too !

Yup, I think it was 30... still waiting for a good offer on the Buddy Rich Mosaic - not one acceptable prize in sight on the various European Amazon sites... was that ever on sale someplace? I mean really on "sale"...

Yup, I think it was 30... still waiting for a good offer on the Buddy Rich Mosaic - not one acceptable prize in sight on the various European Amazon sites... was that ever on sale someplace? I mean really on "sale"...

Have been looking myself and have yet to see any Euro-deals on this one. Similarly the Quincy Jones.

Still time though (he says, hopefully).

Have been looking myself and have yet to see any Euro-deals on this one. Similarly the Quincy Jones.

Still time though (he says, hopefully).

The Quincy I found at a local store for a bit less than what Mosaic would ask (and of course minus shipping and customs, and with a future 10% reward if I continue shopping at that store... they let you cash in 10% after you shopped for some amount, and nicely sales items are included, as those are usually all I still pick up at local shops... anyway, it's excellent, lots of good playing by all the stellar man in the band! (But don't tell chauncey or there'll be another multi-post pissing contest by the oh-so-hip...)

• 4 months later...