Analogue Productions Releasing 25 Blue Note Titles on SACD/Hybrid Disc

Kevin Bresnahan

I just got off the phone and confirmed with Michael Cuscuna that Analogue Productions will be issuing 25 Blue Note titles on hybrid SACDs. No idea of the timetable, but I do know that the DSD masters are already done. They were made as they played back the masters during the 45 rpm LP mastering.

The 25 titles are:

Jackie McLean - Capuchin Swing

John Patton - Along Came John

Ike Quebec - It Might As Well Be Spring

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'

Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy

Jackie McLean - Jackie's Bag

Dexter Gordon - Go

Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk

Dexter Gordon - Dexter Calling

Fred Jackson - Hootin' 'N Tootin'

Grant Green - Idle Moments

Grant Green - Green Street

Art Taylor - A.T.'s Delight

Lee Morgan - Lee-way

Paul Chambers - Whims of Chambers

Joe Henderson - Page One

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else

Ike Quebec - Soul Samba Bossa Nova

Lou Donaldson - Here 'Tis

Horace Silver - The Tokyo Blues

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

The Three Sounds - Bottom's Up

Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop

Sonny Rollins - Vol. 2

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

That's great news.

First, because I prefer to buy SACDs rather than 45rpm LP sets (which I like too)

Second, because it means the sound of those tapes has been archived in hi-rez digital format by excellent mastering engineers. It would have been disappointing if in the future, when the tapes have degraded too much to be used, Rudy Van Gelder's 24bit transfers (made for the RVG series) would have been the only hi-rez archive copy of the tapes.

Edited by Claude

Yeah, read about this at Hoffman's. Great news! I was interested in the vinyl series, but the thought of less than 10 min of music per side was troubling and these SACDs are twenty bucks cheaper. Still not too interested in double-dipping except on my favorire titles. Really wondering about the sound of Capuchin Swing, which was one of RVG's weakest.

Only 25 of several hundred - the next round of the upgrade game is on!

I dunno - as great as Analogue's SACD sound, do I need another version? And I wonder if the bonus tracks will be added if available - the 45 rpm LPs had none. IF not, I'm going to hate LP replications even more ...

Hey, great! Maybe these won't be gouged, scratched, warped or the covers falling apart!

Okay, okay...so there are a few minor QC bumps in the road. At least no one has complained about the labels being wrinkled and off center! :w

:rolleyes:

Fraid not :w . Wasn't there something on the Hoffman forums about somebody getting an off-centre AP vinyl?

They're being put out by "Analogue Productions" but on CD? Aren't CD's a digital format by definition? :)

I'm also curious about Capuchin Swing, but it's a strange list. If you're gonna choose just ONE Hank, why not Soul Station or Workout? And no Sonny Clark album? What gives?

Wow. I might have gotten excited about these a few years ago, and I might get excited still if they are a lot cheaper than I think they'll be. Otherwise, I'll stick with what I have. Especially since I happen to like RVGs.

Edited by jazzbo

Hey, great! Maybe these won't be gouged, scratched, warped or the covers falling apart!

Okay, okay...so there are a few minor QC bumps in the road. At least no one has complained about the labels being wrinkled and off center! :w

Maybe someone will get real lucky and their "Blue Trane" will actually play the "trainwreck" session.

All kidding aside, Blue Train? Really? Umm...isn't there like an SACD of this already? Screw this noise, I'm going back to my BN 8-track collection.

Edited by Captain Wrong

Fraid not :w . Wasn't there something on the Hoffman forums about somebody getting an off-centre AP vinyl?

No, that was me complaining about the record they sent that had both a double label as well as a pilsner glass glued to it!! How they managed that one I'll never know!

post-120-1208549462_thumb.jpg