Blindfold Test #3 / Let's do it!

Jim R

Well, I'm getting closer to being ready to mail out some discs, so I'd like to start receiving names and addresses. Following Dan Gould's system, I'll be sending out 25 discs. For any demand beyond 25 (in the U.S.*), I'd like to hear from anyone who can volunteer to burn and send discs to the 26th and beyond. Brad and I helped with Dan's test, and I know Jim Dye has already volunteered as well.

*Note: To our friends across the Atlantic: Member Tom Storer (in Paris) has volunteered to be the point man over there. A big THANK YOU to Tom! :tupHe will be organizing all distribution on that side of the pond, so contact Tom if you're on that side of the Atlantic. I'll be sending a burn to Tom, and he will be burning a few discs himself to distribute. No doubt Tom will need some help over there, so please let him know if you're capable of burning CD's.

My preference for communication is e-mail, rather than PM's. If anybody would rather not use e-mail, that's okay- you can PM me, but I'd rather not be deluged with PM's (very slow and tedious to use them on my system).

That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully I can pull this off as well as Tony and Dan did! B)

Edited by Jim R

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an update. I sent Tom Storer's disc out today, and he should receive it in about one week. In a few days, I'll begin sending out discs to U.S. participants, beginning with the east coast. If everybody waits perhaps a couple of days to begin posting their guesses/impressions, that might help to synchronize things. Then again, I know it's virtually impossible to get the discs to everybody at the same time, and if some folks get a head start it's not that big a deal... so use your own judgement.

So far, I've heard from 16 people in North America:

Sundog

Tom in R.I.

RDK

Peter Johnson

Dan Gould

John B

JSngry

Noj

Brad

Dr J

Joe

Randy Hersom

Harold Z

natbat

JazzAddict

desertblues

One person (Ray, aka "RDK") has offered to help burn and send discs in the event that they're needed (Brad offered to help too, but he already helped out with Dan's test). I still have about seven discs that are not yet spoken for, so it remains to be seen whether I'll need to call upon Ray (or anyone else).

I might as well announce right now- there is no universal theme for this test. As you'll soon see, there's sort an obvious sub-theme, but like Dan's (and unlike Tony's), it won't help solve any mysteries. For me, a theme would have been too limiting in terms of what I wanted to include, so I decided I couldn't pull it off. Anyway, some tracks will be pretty easy for some of you to identify; some a little more tricky; and a few you may never get. :P (Just kidding, but not really ;) ).

All for now,

JR

So far I have six requests on this side of the world:

couw

White Lightning

mikeweil

Gary Gray

Daniel A

mmilovan

If you're not on the North American side of the Atlantic, just send me a PM with your postal address and I'll see that a copy of Blindfold 3 gets to you.

Edited by Tom Storer

Thanks for all the recent posts here, guys.

Rooster reached me, and is all set.

Jim Dye- haven't received any e-mail from you yet. I'll send you a PM.

B3-er- need your address- I'll PM you also.

pryan / natbat- thanks for the correction. I'm getting all this sorted out! :wacko::)

I've since included a few other folks ("wordsandsounds", Paul Secor) in addition to Rooster, and Messrs. Dye and Alfredson. So, things are taking shape...

Welcome aboard, Bev, as well as all of those who will be receiving their discs via the "Tom Network". :tup I should have welcomed you folks earlier, but had my focus on my distribution duties over here. So, welcome to all, and I hope this will be an enjoyable experience for everyone. :)

Jim, thanks for asking- now I see that you replied to my PM yesterday! :wacko: I have this bad habit of not checking my inbox "manually", because I normally get an automatic e-mail notification (and/or a pop-up window when I'm logged on to the board) when I receive a PM. I got neither when yours arrived yesterday... not sure why. I was beginning to wonder, after sending you a PM as well as an e-mail through the board. Anyway, I've got your address now. Thanks.

Slight hitch on the European side: I bought a pack of blank CDs to make my copies, but I didn't think to check the size of the CD Jim sent me first. Turns out Blindfold Test 3 is 702 MB, and my blanks are 700 MB! So I'll have to get in some bigger CDs to make my copies. With a little luck I'll be able to do this tomorrow. Watch this space!

(Lesson to future copiers: first check the size of the Blindfold Test CD, *then* buy the appropriate blanks!)

Edited by Tom Storer

Usually it's possible to work around this problem. Firstly, CDRs with a nominal capacity of 700 MB often have a few MBs to spare. Have you tried to burn a copy and see what happens?

Should that not work, you could try to eliminate the two second intro to each track on the CD. Audio CDs usually have a default setting of a two second silent lead-in to each track. Eliminating those should save a few MBs, hopefully enough to get down to 700 MB. Be careful, though, to leave the two second lead-in before the very first track on the CDR! Otherwise a CD player might have problems tracking the CDR at all.

Edited by Daniel A

There is also another solution: to use overburn function on your burning software. With this function enabled, almost every disc can be burned with 702 MB files.

Some brands differs in a way they allow extra space for burning aditional MB, some offer less, other offer more.

There is a tool in Nero burning rom that tels you how much you may overburn any particular disc and get no problem.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Daniel, I did try to burn a copy - that's when I realized it was no go. The software (Nero) said "Sorry, not enough room" and aborted the burn.

I'll try mmilovan's overburn strategy - maybe that'll do the trick...

If that doesn't work, I'll try eliminating the 2-second lead-ins, that might just do it.

I got mine yesterday, too, and look forward to giving it a listen this afternoon or tonite.

May I suggest that since the discs are in the mail, so to speak, its time for Jim to declare a test-giver for #4? It obviously takes time to make the tough decisions, so it would probably be a good idea to have the next person start his work.