Is music essential?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not essential. It's one of the nicer luxuries, though.

A person near death from starvation and disease in a refugee camp in the Sudan needs essentials. Music would not be among the first things needed.

But I bet you there would be a song there, somewhere, somehow, at some point. It just seems to be part of human "instinct", and I'd perhaps posit that when that instict is snuffed out, life itself is soon to follow.

A person near death from starvation and disease in a refugee camp in the Sudan needs essentials. Music would not be among the first things needed.

No, but if I am near death from disease, I hope whoever is taking care of me at that point knows enough to be playing some good tunes.

No, but if I am near death from disease, I hope whoever is taking care of me at that point knows enough to be playing some good tunes.

Me too.

That's remind me Beethoven that just before his death asked for some music sheets of Haendel to read.

I agree here too. Its not a 'maintenence need' where a human needs things like food, shelter or water to survive, but more of an 'actualizing need' which develops a human's personality, creativity and values.

Edited by Holy Ghost

I agree here too. Its not a 'maintenence need' where a human needs things like food, shelter or water to survive, but more of an 'actualizing need' which develops a human's personality, creativity and values.

True, but if you think about what happened in another 'extreme' conditions, like Auschwitz, you can see that music, as well as other 'artistic' forms and 'unessential' activities, were part of the psychological survival strategy in order to preserve self-esteem as human being.

True, but if you think about what happened in another 'extreme' conditions, like Auschwitz, you can see that music, as well as other 'artistic' forms and 'unessential' activities, were part of the psychological survival strategy in order to preserve self-esteem as human being.

In those conditions, absolutely. One needs to grasp onto whatever they possibly can to survive.

Music is essential.We find it in all human cultures, playing a central role in both religious and secular settings. Art in general is a necessity. I'd assign it a spot in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs under the category of self-actualization. Once we get past the immediate need for food, clothing, shelter, or perhaps even arising with it, music stakes its claim on our attention. In my urban High School, even the poorest seize every opportunity to listen, sing, drum or dance-sometimes driving their teacher crazy. Students who groan at the first appearance of poetry memorize line after line, verse after verse of popular songs without hesitation.

Collectors like ourselves occupy a specialized niche in this age of Future Shock. We listen to performances that in other times would have vanished without a trace. Eras and styles of music jostle together and then settle into our possession. The variety of music we hear is a luxury, as are the vast numbers of books and films, concerts and plays we absorb. Our passion for the arts is in part a spiritual passion and in part the clamorings of greedy children for novelty, for distraction. There are certainly worse enterprises to invest in-collecting jazz recordings at least support the artists and the people that enable its creation.

Peace,

Blue Trane

I am definitely at the point where I eat, drink, sleep and dream music - to the point of desperation; comes of internal and external debates about what to do what to do; going over old theoretical debates (about all arts , not just music); also comes of feeling that my moment has passed -

The fact that we congregate at a board like this is evidence that most of us place a very high value on music. But there are a lot of people for whom music is not essential at all. A lot of people never listen to music. Quite a number of people are tone deaf, and don't enjoy music. Many of those people nevertheless live fulfilling lives: create important work, indulge in kinky sex, drink good wine, drive slick cars in the fast lane, etc.

Quite right, John. Quite a lot of people are stone deaf and can't hear music at all. Quite a lot of people have no legs; does that mean walking is inessential?

MG

The point I am making is that a lot of people who are not deaf still choose not to listen to music. For them, music is not essential. On the other hand, I imagine that many deaf people can still hear music in their heads. Beethoven even wrote and conducted a very decent symphony and series of string quartets when he was deaf. :)

my answer to the musical question:

yes.

Yes for me as well. Wouldn't want to be stuck with my mostly repetitious thoughts without the respite that music provides. There are other rewards and pleasures as well, all very important.

The fact that we congregate at a board like this is evidence that most of us place a very high value on music. But there are a lot of people for whom music is not essential at all. A lot of people never listen to music. Quite a number of people are tone deaf, and don't enjoy music. Many of those people nevertheless live fulfilling lives: create important work, indulge in kinky sex, drink good wine, drive slick cars in the fast lane, etc.

I agree.

I suspect that over at stitchingandcrotchet.com they regard the production of ornamental needlework as an essential expression of the human soul.

Strange, this need we have to legitimise our pleaures by claiming some grand significance for them.

I'd be distraught if music was lost to me (going deaf is something I'd really hate); but I suspect I'd adjust. Initially it would be dreadful, but I imagine I'd eventually find another way to fill my leisure time.

Making 'Home Sweet Home' tapestries for the wall, perhaps?