Budget Priced on Sony/Columbia

Big Wheel

I have had a chance to listen to the first disc and the sound is pretty much excellent, considering how old the recordings are. The notes are pretty basic, just an overview by Bruce Talbot, wish they had a listing of personnel. I'm sure the info. is on the web somewhere, maybe some enterprising board member will be able to post some details on who's actually in the band at this time.

Here is the info. from the notes on the re-mastering;

78 rpm Transfers:Matt Cavaluzzo, Harry Coster

Digital Sound Restoration: Harry Coster

Digital Remastering: Maria Triana

Also, Disc: 1 Track 6. Creole Love Call; Disc: 2 Track 1. Ebony Rhapsody (Rehearsal For "Murder At The Vanities") Track 2. Ebony Rhapsody - pt 2; Disc: 4 Track 21. Grievin'; are all previously unissued performances.

I was asked by SONY to write a short overview of the material, and I wrote assuming that they would be printing the personnel, as they had supplied me with all recording details including matrix and issue numbers in a neatly formatted state. Obviously the personnel details are readily available but it would have improved the listening experience if the details had been in the booklet.

Bruce

Recording dates would have been more useful than personnel since EKE often recorded the same tune for different labels. You're right that once you know which version we're hearing the personnel is fairly easy to find. BTW Your notes are a fine introduction to the '30s band.

Thanks - this Ellington period has always been a special favorite of mine.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW though the titles suggests that it contains "original master" from both Columbia and RCA there's I think no overlap with the large RCA centennial box set.

Well, now I'm a bit confused. The Centennial box set purported to include EVERYTHING Ellington ever recorded for the label, so how can there be no overlap with it if this set includes some of his 30s RCA material?! Sorry if I'm being dense. Wouldn't be the first time!

Greg Mo

Despite the title I don't think it includes any RCA material except the previously unreleased cuts and Daybreak Express (so there is that overlap). It's a bit difficult to tell because there's no useful annotation for set.

Weird! But thanks for the quick response. All this makes me pine for the Mosaic set!!

Greg Mo

I was asked by SONY to write a short overview of the material, and I wrote assuming that they would be printing the personnel, as they had supplied me with all recording details including matrix and issue numbers in a neatly formatted state. Obviously the personnel details are readily available but it would have improved the listening experience if the details had been in the booklet.

Bruce

Since those details were put in a neatly formatted state, wouldn't it be logical to publish them in the sonybmg website?

Oh, well...

:bwallace:

Having spent more time with the Ellington Box set I highly recommend it. You can't beat the price. However I do worry it might scupper a Mosaic set. There's only about 2 cds worth of material from the period missing and most of it is vocals and alternates.

• 2 weeks later...

Just called my local Borders (there's two) and one doesn't have any of the budget Columbia's but the other one does, but they're not the jazz titles. They said they're getting stuff every week, so I have to check back. Anybody else having the same problem or has anyone scored a budget Columbia/Sony jazz cd in a brick and mortor yet?

I have had a chance to listen to the first disc and the sound is pretty much excellent, considering how old the recordings are. The notes are pretty basic, just an overview by Bruce Talbot, wish they had a listing of personnel. I'm sure the info. is on the web somewhere, maybe some enterprising board member will be able to post some details on who's actually in the band at this time.

Here is the info. from the notes on the re-mastering;

78 rpm Transfers:Matt Cavaluzzo, Harry Coster

Digital Sound Restoration: Harry Coster

Digital Remastering: Maria Triana

Also, Disc: 1 Track 6. Creole Love Call; Disc: 2 Track 1. Ebony Rhapsody (Rehearsal For "Murder At The Vanities") Track 2. Ebony Rhapsody - pt 2; Disc: 4 Track 21. Grievin'; are all previously unissued performances.

Bruce

Does anyone know if there's any overlap with the earlier The Duke: The Columbia Years, 1927-1962 Sony 3CD box?

Edited by J.A.W.

For anyone in the US looking for the Ellington set,

it's now available for preorder at Amazon.com (to be released on 6/17/08) for only $12.49:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BF1GI

$12.49!?!

Just looked it up on amazon.com:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List Price: $38.98

Price: $38.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

Special Offers Available

Pre-order Price Guarantee. Details

This title will be released on July 22, 2008.

Just called my local Borders (there's two) and one doesn't have any of the budget Columbia's but the other one does, but they're not the jazz titles. They said they're getting stuff every week, so I have to check back. Anybody else having the same problem or has anyone scored a budget Columbia/Sony jazz cd in a brick and mortor yet?

my source at SONY says that the Ellington is to be released on July 18

For anyone in the US looking for the Ellington set,

it's now available for preorder at Amazon.com (to be released on 6/17/08) for only $12.49:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BF1GI

$12.49!?!

Just looked it up on amazon.com:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List Price: $38.98

Price: $38.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

Special Offers Available

Pre-order Price Guarantee. Details

This title will be released on July 22, 2008.

Well, it was $12.49--and available--when I posted that, and I got me a copy. :) In fact, it was available a few days later directly from Amazon for $11.99, and I ordered someone else a copy (and he has since received it).

Note that at this very moment, Caiman is selling it brand spankin' new through Amazon Marketplace for $11.91:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...GI/ref=dp_olp_2

my source at SONY says that the Ellington is to be released on July 18

If you mean the box set, then we're talking about two different things. What I mean are the midprice Columbia/Legacy cd's that have been reduced to budget, such as Woody Shaw's Rosewood, Miles' Berlin, Antibes etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for the origin of the transfers used for the Holiday and Ellington sets, however, the Fats Waller set is culled from the Orin Keepnews complete Waller RCA sets from the early 90's - note Keepews name as producer on the new Waller set.

They also just released 3-disc set titled "The Best of Glenn Miller," which is the same material used on the 3-disc set "Glenn Miller The Popular Recordings 1939-1942," which are 1989 transfers. The producer and remastering credits are the same on the 89 and 08 sets as are the transfers with almost no noise reduction and lots of crackle and pop.

Seems like SONY is releasing older transfers (at least on the two I've noted) for the European market, perhaps to compete with the Propers and JSPs boots.

Not bad - the Miller material sounds better without the heavy noise reduction - but not new transfers.

Columbia/Sony has not released much of this material on cd. On first playing the sound is good. The tech credits read:

Reissue producer - Michael Brooks

78 rpm transfers - Matt Cavaluzzo, Harry Coster

Digital sound restoration - Harry Coster

Digital remastering - Maria Triana

I view this as a preview of the complete set promised by Mosaic. It will go in the car when the Mosaic shows up.

I can't speak for the origin of the transfers used for the Holiday and Ellington sets, however, the Fats Waller set is culled from the Orin Keepnews complete Waller RCA sets from the early 90's - note Keepews name as producer on the new Waller set.

They also just released 3-disc set titled "The Best of Glenn Miller," which is the same material used on the 3-disc set "Glenn Miller The Popular Recordings 1939-1942," which are 1989 transfers. The producer and remastering credits are the same on the 89 and 08 sets as are the transfers with almost no noise reduction and lots of crackle and pop.

Seems like SONY is releasing older transfers (at least on the two I've noted) for the European market, perhaps to compete with the Propers and JSPs boots.

Not bad - the Miller material sounds better without the heavy noise reduction - but not new transfers.

Homer, I don't have the Waller set but it looks as if it is exactly the same track listing as the recent three cd set "If You Got to Ask You Ain't Got it" which was also produced by Orrin Keepnews, and is in excellent excellent sound. My guess is they lifted the transfers from this set. . . .(Excellent booklet too, which you're not going to get with the budget set).

B000HEWGQU.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg