100 treasures for a desert island

Van Basten II

Just completed the list, for those who have read my original posting i let a space to distinguish those who were added.

Glad to see it discussed, was afraid to type it all down for naught.

The reason i wanted to post this is notwithstanding personal taste, you gotta give credit to the people compiling it to go beyond clichés and for those who are still looking to discover new things, felt it was a cool starting point.

I haven't actually counted the number I have from the second batch, but there are more that I would consider key here, though obviously all such lists are pretty subjective. Still, Afternoon in Paris by Lewis and Distel is great, as is Woody Shaw's Blackstone Legacy.

The Rene Urtreger (Jazzman) has sent me on a bit of an internet search. I am finding it very difficult to track down much about these albums released on Universal in 2003, though I have a list here:

Recidive No. 2

In Direct d' Antibes No. 3

Jazzman No. 4

Masters No. 5

My question is what was the No. 1 in this series? I'm guessing they are all worth tracking down, but if anyone has any reviews I'd like to hear them. Thanks.

I think this is a very interesting list. Sure, they're all just someone's opinion, but that's really all there is, isn't there?

I have 6

The best of Earl Bostic- Earl Bostic, King 1951

Leapin, and Lopin'- Sonny Clark, Blue Note 1961

Trash talkin'- Albert Collins, Imperial records Liberty 1970

Tiny in Swingville- Tiny Grimes, OJC 1959

A world of piano !- Phineas Newborn Jr, Fantasy 1962

Unity- Larry Young, Blue Note 1965

The inclusion of Grimes, Collins and Bostic among the usual suspects is quite refreshing. And there are others, too. The Getz "Dynasty" is an album I keep nearly buying over the years; if I ever bought a Getz, it would be that one.

MG

got five from the list, the ones i would consider for my desert island package are unity and the lucky thompson (though in the end i would probably leave unity at home and substitute the thompsons with one of the other 1956 Paris discs (americans swinging in paris)... funnily however the remaining three are on my list of stuff i definitely want to check out more deeply sometime so maybe including them would be a pretty good idea..., the ortega especially..

New dance- Anthony Ortega, Hatology 1966-1967

Blacktone legacy- Woody Shaw, Contemporary 1970

The Complete Vogue recrdings- Lucky Thompson, Vogue 1956-57

Art Pepper meets the rythm section- Art Pepper, Contemporary 1957

detected one more - great one, should pull it out again (especially the session with art farmer)

Memorial volume 1 and 2- Wardell Gray, OJC 1949-52

Edited by Niko

Just completed the list, for those who have read my original posting i let a space to distinguish those who were added.

Glad to see it discussed, was afraid to type it all down for naught.

The reason i wanted to post this is notwithstanding personal taste, you gotta give credit to the people compiling it to go beyond clichés and for those who are still looking to discover new things, felt it was a cool starting point.

. Still, Afternoon in Paris by Lewis and Distel is great, as is Woody Shaw's Blackstone Legacy.

Considering that i primarly knew Distel as an entertainer singng silly songs, finding out that he made also some good quality serious music was a very pleasant suprise

34 now that I actually have:

New grass- Albert Ayler, Impulse 1968

Ballad, blues and Bey- Andy Bey, Evidence 1996

Free for all- Art Blakey and the Messengers, Blue Note 1964

Live in Paris- Circle, ECM 1971

Leapin, and Lopin'- Sonny Clark, Blue Note 1961

Soapsuds, soapsuds- Ornette Coleman and Charlie Haden, Verve 1977

Love energy- Connie Crothers and Lenny Popkin, New Artists 1988

Miles Davis featuring BarneyWilen Amsterdam Concert- Miles Davis, Lone Hill 1957

Luis Gasca- Luis Gasca, Blue Thumb 1971

Poetry- Stan Getz and Albert Dailey, Blue Note 1983

Fly away little bird- Jimmy Giuffre, Paul Bley and Steve Swallow, Owl 1992

Memorial volume 1 and 2- Wardell Gray, OJC 1949-52

The fat man and the hard blues, Soul Note 1991

Songs for distingué lovers, Billie Holiday, Verve 1957

The survivors suite, Keith jarrett, ECM 1977

Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett- Keith jarrett and Gary Burton, Atlantic 1969

Consummation- Thad Jones and Mel Lewis, Blue note 1970

Kenny Kirkland- Kenny Kirkland, Grp 1991

Another shade of blue- Lee Konitz, Blue Note 1997

Turkish woman at the bath- Pete La Roca, Douglas/Fresh Sounds Records 1967

Sugar and spice- Guy Lafitte, RCA Victor 1972

The world is falling down- Abbey Lincoln, Verve 1990

Duets- Carmen McRae and Betty Carter, Verve 1987

Bright size life- ¨Pat Metheny, ECM 1975

Mobley's message- Hank Mobley, Victor Entertainment 1956

New dance- Anthony Ortega, Hatology 1966-1967

Belief- Leon¨Parker, Columbia 1996

The cutting edge- Sonny Rollins, Milestone 1975

Blacktone legacy- Woody Shaw, Contemporary 1970

The cat and the hat- Ben Sidran, A&M 1980

Goin' home- Archie Shepp, Steeplechase 1977

Stuff Smithe, Dizzy Gillespie and Oscar Peterson, Verve 1957

The dark tree 1 & 2 - Horace Tapscott, Hatology 1989

I love lists, I love having, and I love counting. More threads like this, please!

I don't think this is a particularly compelling list. There's a lot of mediocre releases and some, like Don Grolnick's Hearts and Numbers, don't even represent his best work. Why would anyone pick a boot like the Blakey Moon CD or the incomplete Art Tatum In Private, when the more complete Storyville CD (The Complete Jazz Chronicle Solos) of the same sessions is readily available?

I own somewhere between 14,000-15,000 jazz CDs and I can't say I'm in a rush to acquire the ones I don't already own from this list.

At least the author didn't make the mistake of calling this list "essential."

It is obviously a very personal list. In fact, I find these kinds of lists much more interesting to read than those made of consensus choices like Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme, and yawn, yawn, yawn...

I was living in Paris in 96 and remember that issue of Jazz Magazine. I always got a kick out of how many French jazz critics were convinced that authentic jazz is either American or French. Jazz from other countries is usually highly suspect. :)

On this list, I found particularly interesting the only blues record included: Albert Collins - Trash Talking. That one wouldn't even come close to making my Albert Collins desert island list.

OK, since everyone is listing which ones he has, here are mine:

Michael Brecker- Michael Brecker- Imoulse 1987

Kollektief à Paris, summer music-Willem Breuker, Marge 1978

Once upon a summertime- Blossom Dearie, Verve 1958

Turkish woman at the bath- Pete La Roca, Douglas/Fresh Sounds Records 1967

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of breath, RCA 1971

Sings- Mark Murphy, Muse 1975

Art Pepper meets the rythm section- Art Pepper, Contemporary 1957

Mercy, mercy- Buddy Rich, Blue Note 1968

The cat and the hat- Ben Sidran, A&M 1980

Thanks for your efforts VB!

On this list, I found particularly interesting the only blues record included: Albert Collins - Trash Talking. That one wouldn't even come close to making my Albert Collins desert island list.

I found that interesting, too. And I agree, there are better Collinses - much better ones.

Ditto for Earl Bostic.

MG

Have about 7 or 8 from the complete list, but agree with Ken Dryden and John L.

I cannot see the point of making up such lists (however broadminded they may be) as personal tastes just differ WIDELY and nobody who comes up with such selective lists can possibly expect to really strike a chord with other listeners with different (however broadminded) tastes. And if I ever were to be stranded on some lonely island with nothing but a stack of records for my entertainment I'd certainly feel harrassed (if not to say terrorized) if forcibly exposed to free(er) jazz by likes of Ayler and Mangelsdorff et al. :D :D

So what's the point? "Suggested listening" lists subdivided at least loosely by genre - O.K., but generalistic lists such as this?? I dunno ...

Have about 7 or 8 from the complete list, but agree with Ken Dryden and John L.

I cannot see the point of making up such lists (however broadminded they may be) as personal tastes just differ WIDELY and nobody who comes up with such selective lists can possibly expect to really strike a chord with other listeners with different (however broadminded) tastes. And if I ever were to be stranded on some lonely island with nothing but a stack of records for my entertainment I'd certainly feel harrassed (if not to say terrorized) if forcibly exposed to free(er) jazz by likes of Ayler and Mangelsdorff et al. :D :D

So what's the point? "Suggested listening" lists subdivided at least loosely by genre - O.K., but generalistic lists such as this?? I dunno ...

actually, i like these very mixed lists, like the one paul secor recently posted... they tell you a lot about the author and sometimes you see connections you can identify with or see a completely unknown item within stuff you really like... and so on; don't think these lists aim at people who try to get started with listening to jazz... but I think that 100 is quite a lot and that 15-30 is maybe better for making a statement (but that's only the opinion of someone who has heard relatively little and has a relatively small collection)

(and all the nice things i just said don't apply to a list that has 11 authors - although i found the list pretty interesting before i knew this)

just saw, import_cds at amazon.com has lucky thompson vogue vol 1, new for 3$ (similar offer also at amazon.de)

Edited by Niko

9. The Stan Getz Dynasty is pretty fabulous. Taken overall, the list just tells me how ignorant I am of "European" jazz and really isn't helpful without reviews that might give me clues-rather like cataloging a chef's pantry and not providing recipes.

Peace,

Blue Trane

There was an article for each cd mentionned but you can understand that i'm not going to rewrite it all here even less translate it.