Kenny Burrell

Durium

I just want to add that I've always thought that "Soul Call" was top notch KB. I always used to mention that when everybody was having the trite discussions about "Midnight Blue", "Guitar Forms", and all the other AMG-sanctioned, Good Housekeeping Seal Of Approval KB albums (I never cared for "Guitar Forms", btw).

It so nice to see you back in your Desmond-inspired form! :lol:

Regarding "I Never Knew:" my favorite is actually the outtake from the BLUE LIGHTS session, which IMO could've easily replaced "Yes Baby," "Scotch Blues," or "Caravan." I realize that it's more of a loose jam than a structured play, but DAMN if everyone isn't at the top of their game on that one!

And as for the album that started all of this, it's typical Kenny, and if it's alright with y'all that is PERFECT for me! :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a fine guitarist but I'm with Chuck on this; doesn't really stand out. I like listening to him but find Grant more interesting.

Another point regarding the moderation. If you're going to delete someone's posts, you also need the post where they are quoted. It just doesn't make any sense to have the quoted post in another member's post if the underlying post (e.g. the post that is being quoted) has been removed.

Edited by Brad

• 6 years later...

I just found out that Essential Jazz Classics have released a "Complete Edition" of Kenny Burrell's A Night at the Vanguard in 2012:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007KLY8DC/

It includes a total of 14 tracks, compiling everything that's ever been out on LP from this concert (according to jazzdisco.org), unlike the official Verve release that only has 10.

Has anyone heard this version? What's the sound like?

Edited by Kyo

no idea ... they say on CD for the first time, so could be good or bad or worse ... it's a fine album and the reissue history it went through sucks bigtime. In the early 90s, there was a GRP disc with two extra tracks, and then they followed up with the silly "Originals" series that made, sort of, vinyl reissues for CD listeners ... would have been nice if Universal/Vivendi/whomever did at least one proper reissue of all the material, really, but ...

what is it with guitar albums anway, Jim Hall's great Pacific Jazz album never was properly reissued either if I'm not mistaken

Sound is good, I do not hear any differrence compared to the other reisues. The bonus tracks are worth having, Burrell is great as always, and IMO this is one of his best.

p.s. Only bummer is that the stereo image is reversed on the first of the four bonus tracks - they could have corrected that.

Edited by mikeweil

The subject of this date, and the incomplete and scattered releases was always confusing enough, let alone now with the passage of time.  I just searched for previous discussions, and found this (which began as a discussion of his early 60's Columbia recordings):  http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2733-kenny-burrell-euphoria-cd-question/

I don't own this new CD, but I find the data a bit curious (and I have developed a natural skepticism regarding data on releases like this).  I've never seen a reference to an alt take of "I Can't See For Lookin'".  I don't think I ever saw a CD issue that included "HCYDATLTTM (aka "Sultry Serenade") as a bonus track, though.

Anyway, according to the info presented in the thread I linked, there were another four tunes that were never released:

Blues In The Closet; It's Easy To Remember; Doodlin'; and But Beautiful.

A shame that the big boys never got this right. Such a magnificent record.

Yeah, it's always frustrating to see the PD labels doing better (yet mostly with questionable sources) than the official holders of the rights to these albums. So many cases these days, especially with box sets of more obscure artists where the original CDs can even be hard to find.

• 1 month later...
On 22.10.2015, 15:28:19, mikeweil said:

Sound is good, I do not hear any differrence compared to the other reisues. The bonus tracks are worth having, Burrell is great as always, and IMO this is one of his best.

p.s. Only bummer is that the stereo image is reversed on the first of the four bonus tracks - they could have corrected that.

Just got the CD, thanks for pointing out this little problem - it's easily fixed with Audacity. :)