Has A Blindfold Test Track Inspired a Purchase?

Dan Gould

I think it would be gratifying to the test-givers if people post which artist/album they have purchased or, perhaps, are on the search for, or have requested burns if it is long out of print item.

I realize people post things like "I want this" in the discussion thread, but who's actually gone out and gotten it?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't yet purchased based on a blindfold test track, but for two reasons only: time and availability. Time issue relates to having a 3 month old - I don't get out shopping nearly as much lately, although will be again next weekend. Availability is the big one - Dan, your stuff was all vinyl and not all of it particularly easy to find! But rest assured there are a couple that I'm going to track down eventually (I don't have the list here in front of me but noted a couple as must haves). Ditto with Jim R's, once he reveals the answers (let's hope some are in print on CD!).

Availability is the big one - Dan, your stuff was all vinyl and not all of it particularly easy to find!

Not true, Tony. In fact, I was very surprised at the response to a couple of tracks, where CD sources were identified as being off an LP. For the record,

#1, the Ike Isaacs-Jack Wilson CD was purchased from the Groove and is to my knowledge in print, or at least they got a hold of it less than a year ago.

#2, Joe Williams-George Shearing was a VHS tape, available at CDUniverse:

109285.jpg

#3, the LD, is vinyl and has no known Japanese issue.

#4, Red Holloway, is an inprint Highnote CD.

#5, the flutes LP is definitely a rare one.

#6, the Tadd Dameron tribute was just reissued, see this thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...?showtopic=4398

#7, Carmell Jones-very rare vinyl.

#8, Houston Person, ditto, though I have seen it on ebay.

#9, Teddy Edwards, in print on CD and DVD.

#10, Eastern Rebellion, I'm pretty sure MusicMasters is out of business, but I am also pretty sure this could be found fairly easily.

#11, Michael Cochrane/Wayne Shorter disc, in print Steeplechase CD, available from Stateside Distributors

#12, Groove Holmes, definitely a rare vinyl album.

#13, Japanese CD, I know that Brad got it from Mr. Tanno after the blindfold test.

So, Tony, perhaps you meant that the tunes you enjoyed were all vinyl, but I'd like to reiterate that only five out of the 13 are definitely OOP vinyl albums that will take some tracking to find. And lastly, my opening post actually asks for purchases, on the hunt for, or requested burns of.

I havn't as yet bought anything specific off Blindfold 2.

But the overall bluesy feel of the CD had me exploring the Blue Note/hard boppy end of my collection and then starting to fill in the gaps. (I suspect it kickstarted the inevitable reaction against my glorious summer of Scandanavian folk music!).

I therefore, Dan, blame you for the surge in my buying in the last month including the two Mosaic sets sat with HM customs at present!

One of those smiley faces meant to denote that the accusation is actually light-hearted!

Dan, what I meant was the stuff that I was most interested in (the Carmell Jones, and the Donaldson) was on vinyl only. I'm definitely interested in the Dameron tribute too and appreciate the tip that it's now reissued, will be picking that up for sure. BTW, didn't mean anything negative by saying that about the vinyl, it's just a fact that the stuff I liked enough to own was vinyl.

Purchase? Well, in a way. I'm an emusic subscriber, and after Blindfold 2 I downloaded *many* albums by Jack McDuff, Don Patterson, Red Holloway, Gene Ammons, etc. - greasy tenors and organists. I probably downloaded 40 albums along those lines! Nothing, I think, from the actual albums represented in the test, but very much based on the general style, which I had previous not favored as much.

*And* I'm listening to them!

Yes, I actually did buy the Junior Mance - Eric Alexander cd that was written about a lot. I'm trying to buy the Continuum cd that just came out and would if it weren't on backorder. Thanks Dan.

Brad, what do you think of the Mance/Alexander? Some surprising tune choices like Got My Mojo Workng and Blueberry Hill, but I think the CD is superb overall.

And Tony, I probably should have assumed that was what you meant, it just kind of bothered me the "your stuff was all vinyl" made me think others were making the same assumption. In fact, I was really surprised that at least one person and maybe more decided that the Jack Wilson was a vinyl source when it was a Japanese CD source, so I wanted to make clear just what was what.

no actual purchase here, but that's more because of a general self imposed buying ban. I DO keep my eyes open for stuff from the BF tests. Some names I (tried) to keep in mind are Namyslowski, Ponomarew, and Red Holloway. I already kept Teddy Wilson's name stored up there somewhere.

I have revisited the Abdullah Ibrahim and Barney Wilen albums in my collection.

Some others I must have forgotten already, but I made tray cards with the relevant info for my disks and will probably spin them again and that'll refresh the mind.

As karma would have it, I ordered the Walter Davis Jr Monk solo album on Mapleshade tha Dan mentioned in conjunction with the current BT from www.cybermusicsurplus.com Thursday of last week. I had forgotten about that until the shipping confirmation greeted me in this morning's e-mail. I'm greatly lookiing forward to hearing it.