I got my copy of Groovadelphia!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard that while driving from Grand Rapids to the Lakeshore with a backseat full of tired kids. We'd just met Lucy, the Newfoundland addition to my sister-in-law's family, out in Ada. Left tv coverage of the DNC and caught Organissimo in the car. Tuned in right at the end of the title track and recognized it. That's a great climax. By the time the girls had talked themselves nearly to sleep, Les and I thought to turn on the DNC coverage from NPR on the radio. Right when we did they announced Ted Kennedy appeared in person and gave most historic speech of his career. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

New article / review of Groovadelphia from Charles Latimer.

In early 2000, the organ trio organissimo became part of a mini-renaissance of bands that emerged on the Detroit, Mi jazz scene with catchy names such as Bop Cultural, and Urban Transport. The bands wrote and performed mostly original compositions, and were democratic as well. Each member had equal status. The bands developed a loyal following, but save for organissimo the other band were constantly changed personnel, and eventually split up, but organissimo thrived. They seemed to possess a special formula the other bands lacked.

I heard organissimo two years ago at the famous Baker’s Keyboard Lounge. The trio cast a spell on me I’ve been unable to break. For those who’ve never experienced the trio, here’ how you can tell when they’re about to cook like a family barbecue: Guitarist Joe Gloss shuts his eyes. Drummer Randy Marsh turns his cap backward, and Alfredson slips of his shoes.

Read more, click here.

• 2 weeks later...

For the 3rd playing I decided to start with what might be the lead track on side B with "If Not Now, When?". Whoo-boy, I'm glad I decided play let's pretend this is a thick slab of pristine vinyl since y'all captured that ideal (and I'm not even a vinyl fetishist) so perfectly. It's probably too long for it to be vinyl but it sure has an album feel as "Traces" going into "Danco De Alma" closes a side beautifully. Of course it also works as a CD as now I'm letting it continue on for second helping of the last 4 songs again. :)

I have to admit I haven't gotten to the last four songs yet because I keep playing "Traces" and "Danco de Alma" over and over. Jim, your all-around keyboard (B3, synth, etc*) playing on these two tracks in particular is so beautiful it just creates a wonderfully melancholy atmosphere. As far as effect goes, I'd put it right up there with Herbie Hancock's "Dolphin Dance." It really is that good!!! Joe, your acoustic guitar solo would make Jobim and Gilberto proud. Just beautiful. And Randy, your drumming--and that sounds like too insensitive a word to describe what you're doing back there. Just carrying the beat, caressing it, allowing the rest of the music to float around while you anchor the rhythm......

Dammit, I hate it when I get all mushy-gushy like this, but it's been a while since music affected me like this. A fantastic job, guys!

*No, I don't know how to play an etc. I might not even recognize one if I did.

Edited by Big Al

For the 3rd playing I decided to start with what might be the lead track on side B with "If Not Now, When?". Whoo-boy, I'm glad I decided play let's pretend this is a thick slab of pristine vinyl since y'all captured that ideal (and I'm not even a vinyl fetishist) so perfectly. It's probably too long for it to be vinyl but it sure has an album feel as "Traces" going into "Danco De Alma" closes a side beautifully. Of course it also works as a CD as now I'm letting it continue on for second helping of the last 4 songs again. :)

I have to admit I haven't gotten to the last four songs yet because I keep playing "Traces" and "Danco de Alma" over and over. Jim, your all-around keyboard (B3, synth, etc*) playing on these two tracks in particular is so beautiful it just creates a wonderfully melancholy atmosphere. As far as effect goes, I'd put it right up there with Herbie Hancock's "Dolphin Dance." It really is that good!!! Joe, your acoustic guitar solo would make Jobim and Gilberto proud. Just beautiful. And Randy, your drumming--and that sounds like too insensitive a word to describe what you're doing back there. Just carrying the beat, caressing it, allowing the rest of the music to float around while you anchor the rhythm......

Dammit, I hate it when I get all mushy-gushy like this, but it's been a while since music affected me like this. A fantastic job, guys!

*No, I don't know how to play an etc. I might not even recognize one if I did.

Thanks Al.. Love your descriptions of the music..

I have to admit I haven't gotten to the last four songs yet because I keep playing "Traces" and "Danco de Alma" over and over.

Then you're in for a treat. The song that follows Danco is my personal all-around favorite from this disc, and I think you'll really dig Jim's Rhodes improv which closes the session.

I have to admit I haven't gotten to the last four songs yet because I keep playing "Traces" and "Danco de Alma" over and over.

Then you're in for a treat. The song that follows Danco is my personal all-around favorite from this disc, and I think you'll really dig Jim's Rhodes improv which closes the session.

OH yes!!! I have gotten to that one a few times and it is wonderful. Forgot to mention that in my initial review, but I love that trio of songs. It's almost like a suite (sweet!) unto itself.

Heading for bed, gonna let "Traces" be my soundtrack into dreamland tonight..... ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Cool!

Everyone should call up their local jazz station and ask them to play some organissimo! If the station doesn't have the new disc, tell them they are a donkey-ass moron who no like jazz and then let me know and we'll send them one!

the problem is, it looks like your radio promotions guru is only going off of a jazzweek/media guide list, which means that a lot of stations like the one I work for are getting the shaft, because, hey, if you can't see the spins, then they must not exist.

Trust me, they exist.

Paul, is there a reason WDCB doesn't report to Jazzweek/MediaGuide? Just curious.

We hit #2 on the CMJ jazz charts (that's College Music Journal) this week! :)

Well, suffice it to say that there's not a station in the country that wouldn't want to be on mediaguide's radar.

In every discussion that we've had with them, they've said that we're out of their range.

What makes this really odd is the fact that WHPK is in their range, and we're not.

I keep hearing that they're going to start monitoring web streams. I'm looking forward to that day.