Tadd Dameron's Mating Call

mikeweil

I'd forgotten about this thread, but came upon it while doing a Tadd Dameron search. Interestingly in his amended liner notes to the Van Gelder remaster of Mating Call, Ira Gitler writes: "Actually I believe that this date was conceived as a quintet but I can't recall ever knowing who was projected as the other horn player."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kidding - I love Tadd Dameron. But yes, the title tune works very well in an exotica setting.

Tadd certainly had an exotic side - I'm thinking in particular *Casbah* with vocalist Rae Pearl and Fats Navarro on Capitol from 1947, which is about as exotic as you can get. Producer was Pete Rugolo, who also had exotic tendencies ...

Q

I thought at least in the second part of your statement you were kidding ... I try to imagine how Martin Denny would sound covering that tune.

I do exotica DJ sets, and in addition to the usual Martin Denny/Les Baxter kind of stuff, I often throw in Latin jazz or jazz tunes that have an exotic bent, e.g. Mating Call, Totem Pole, Curacao, etc. They work, believe me. The lines between genres are often tenuous. Change the instrumentation in Mating Call and throw in some screaming chimps, and it's pure exotica. Denny covered Caravan. He could have covered Mating Call also.