R.I.P. Hiram Bullock

JSngry

I know him mostly for his work with Gil Evans though I once saw him leading his own group in LA. He always seemed so young and full of life. The last note on his blog is quite remarkable: he's more concerned about the other people in his ward -- including the staff-- than he is about himself.

I know him mostly for his work with Gil Evans though I once saw him leading his own group in LA. He always seemed so young and full of life. The last note on his blog is quite remarkable: he's more concerned about the other people in his ward -- including the staff-- than he is about himself.

Well he does call it "very treatable" which makes it extra sad that the cancer took him so quickly after what was apparently an encouraging prognosis by his doctors.

Can't say that I've followed his career in years, but still, I hate to see people like this go while they still got it to give.

I always dug the guy simply because, apart from his musicianship, he seemed like a free spirit who simply really loved playing music. No real "boundaries" or anything, it just seemed like the guy dug playing whatever he got a chance to play. Seeing him on the Letterman show was always a groove - the cat had no qualms about going out there when/how he felt it, and it was so natural that it didn't really seem all that out there until you thought about what it was you were hearing and where it was you were hearing it.

Also, can't forget that he was part of the David Sanborn band that included Marcus Miller & I forget who all else. Hideaway, Voyeur, that stuff. That's a genre of music no doubt outside the scope of interest to most here, but that scene had a level of organic musicality and spirit that virtually none of its "followers" did. It was music of a specific time, place, and motivation, but there was no shame, and most importantly, no fakery in any of it. With that I find no real fault and, sometimes, some real appreciation & affection for what they did and how they did it.

So long, and thanks.

Yeah, the whole Paul Shaffer shtick has gotten to be a joke, but people need to remember that when that show and that band first hit, it was a pretty radical departure, and that Hiram Bullock, Will Lee, & Steve Jordan weren't some old vets cooling out in their later years in the comfort of a steady gig, but were some of the studs of the NYC "urban jazz" studio scene.

Of course, 98% of the people watching the show probably didn't know that, but still... there were nights when they'd come back from commercial, and Bullock would be just going for it on some garage band schlock, and I was thinking to myself, "damn, how cool is THIS?"

But that was then, this is now. Steve Jordan's long gone (Anton Fig never cut it for me), Will Lee is the new Ross Tompkins (Tonight Show band joke...), & Hiram Bullock is dead.

Life is short. Carpe deim, y'all.

Edited by JSngry

I remember him in David Letterman's Band with Will Lee-

For most, that's all he'll be remembered for.

What's cool for me is that I researched his playing and that led me into music I may not have known about had I not seen him on Letterman.