Logical 'post-1965' contenders for U.S. RVG series

Rooster_Ties

OK, given the relatively 'mainstream' nature of the RVG series, and also BN's frequent preference for having RVG remaster titles that were already released on CD in the U.S. in the late 80's or very early 90's (with remastering jobs that are now well out-of-date)....

What would be some solid logical choices for the RVG series - for BN recordings recorded after 1965???

This shouldn't be too hard to do, since most of the RVG series has favored the 50's and early 60's, with only a few exceptions. Some post-1965 RVG examples (I think this is all of them, so far), have included...

HERBIE HANCOCK - The Prisoner (1969)

JOE HENDERSON - Mode For Joe (1966)

HORACE SILVER - In Pursuit Of The 27th Man (1970/1972)

DONALD BYRD - Slow Drag (1967)

I'll go first, by nominating this...

c0279547mbv.jpg

McCoy Tyner - Tender Moments (1967)

It was last released in the U.S. as a McMaster in 1990, and repressed as a Collectors Choice in 1995 (with the same 1990 remastering). I don't think the 1990 remastering is the worst I've ever heard, but this session is probably as 'mainstream' as any of McCoy's BN output, after "The Real McCoy" - and would probably sell pretty well, I would think.

Again, let's all be logical about this. BN ain't gonna release those Kenny Cox dates as RVG's, no matter how much we'd like 'em to. (Nor Tyrone Washington, for that matter.)

And oh, much as we might like BN to rerelease a few dates from the 80's - like maybe Bobby Watson's... CLEARLY the RVG series has been for pre-1975 dates only. (So no crazy ideas from the George Adams camp either. ;) )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

stick with McCoy and you come up with Expansions (1968), a very interesting date I think with a killer line up:

Woody Shaw, tp; Gary Bartz, as; Wayne Shorter, ts; McCoy Tyner, p; Ron Carter, cello; Herbie Lewis, b; Freddie Waits, ds;

This one has also been available on CD before.

c03836t3v1y.jpg

That's an excellent choice, couw. The current edition of that album on compact disc sounds like c-r-a-p. I wouldn't have hurt feelings if Super Nova or Odyssey of Iska came out in the RVG series. Even though I don't mind the sound of the current editions, I know I'd fold and buy an RVG edition of these two.

Good suggestion, Rooster — those Kenny Cox sides as RVG editions would be brilliant! ^_^

And Tender Moments has indeed already been announced as one of the upcoming US RVGs in 2004. Duke Pearson’s Sweet Honey Bee, Horace Silver’s Serenade To A Soul Sister , Cecil Taylor’s Conquistador, and Lee Morgan’s The Sixth Sense also fit the description. Surprising to see the Morgan title so soon again. It was reissued as late as 1999, and now again?!

By the way, notice on the old CD version of Tender Moments how they not only added the Compact Disc logo, but also changed the BN logo:

bluenote3%20029_1_thumb.jpgc0279547mbv.jpg

The new JRVG series may give a hint since the same remasters nowadays are used for the US RVG series. Other post-1965 JRVGs are :

Midnight Creeper

Mustang

Move Your Hand

Green Is Beautiful

Hi Voltage

Merry Ole Soul

Boss Horn

Schizophrenia

Moon Rappin’

The Song Of Singing

Blackjack

Think!

How Insensitive

Reach Out!

Turning Point

and another Tyner album: Time For Tyner

Not that I think that all or even most of them will come out as US RVGS, but some may, since the remastering already is done.

Do the recordings have to be originally engineered by RVG to become RVGs?

The recording I'd most like to see out is James Newton's 'Romance and Revolution.' Probably way to late for consideration.

I'm not sure if that counts as 'logical.'

Edited by Bev Stapleton

some other choices would be Donald Byrd's Mustang!, Blackjack and the Creeper. I have never heard the Creeper, but really dig the other two discs.

Or how about Bobby Hutcherson's Live at Montreux? That one commands huge prices on ebay these days and deserves to be readily accesible. Some smoking Woody Shaw on this set!

I'll second Bev's James Newton selection.

Edited by John B

I'll third Couw's nomination of Expansions!

I'd also like to see some late sixties Elvin Jones. Albums such as: Puttin' It Together, The Ultimate Elvin Jones, The Prime Element, Mr. Jones. I know I could pick up the Mosaic set, but since I have quite a bit of the material already that is in the box, some individual releases would be nice.

I'd also like to see some late sixties Elvin Jones. Albums such as: Puttin' It Together, The Ultimate Elvin Jones, The Prime Element, Mr. Jones. I know I could pick up the Mosaic set, but since I have quite a bit of the material already that is in the box, some individual releases would be nice.

and this one, just for the cover....

blue%20note4%20055.jpg

kidding aside: I listened to his polycurrents album the other day and that one smokes as well, so better include it! It has George Coleman, so JSngry will be buying it!

Personnel: Joe Farrell, e h, fl, bfl, ts; George Coleman, ts; Pepper Adams, bs; Wilbur Little, b; Elvin Jones, ds; Candido Camero, cga;

How about these later-period BN's as RVG's:

Hutcherson - TOTAL ECLIPSE (PLEASE!), or maybe SAN FRANCISCO (the LIVE AT MONTREUX disc would be great too, but I doubt we'll see it). Heck, even CIRRUS would be good.

Byrd - KOFI

Elvin Jones - LIVE AT THE LIGHTHOUSE (in the fine tradition of the other live 2-fer RVG's out so far)

I would also love to see an RVG of the last Lee Morgan BN session, LEE MORGAN, that one just keeps growing in my estimation. Would sound splendid.

Tyner - EXPANSIONS would be a superb choice, agree!

Ornette - LOVE CALL and NEW YORK IS NOW! as a 2-fer

Brownie,

Hank Jones is on Flute-In! That's hilarious!

Here's why:

Last month, Hank and Elvin played in D.C. Hank was handed a piece of paper with the name of a musician on it who was about to sit in. Hank made the announcement, but thought Bobbi was a guy!

And now it turns out he actually recorded with her. Shows how much of an impression she made.

Bertrand.

Bertrand. Stop trying to ruin my expectations on this date! Lee Morgan is there. That's enough for me.

Guess that Hank Jones may be allowed to forget some of the musicians he has played with. The list could fill a book.

Not sure how good Bobbi was as a flute player. She was with BN when I tended to ignore their new releases. But she was rather pretty!