Wilbur Harden

Durium

WILBUR HARDEN

Mainstream 1958 - Savoy SV -0121

Harden-cd.jpg

All compositions are by Wilbur Harden, and when you listen to tunes like E.F.F.P.H., it learns that Wilbur Harden could have become a great composer. It is great to hear him on his smooth flugelhorn playing together with the rough tenor of John Coltrane and the piano of Tommy Flanagan.

harden1.JPG

Thanks to the fact that he recorded with John Coltrane, makes that some of his records are reissued. Shame, because this man deserves further recognition.

Wilbur Harden: Mainstream 1958

Keep swinging

Durium

The sessions Wilbur did with Trane have long been favorites of mine. Very tasty stuff. I first saw them as budget LPs and grabbed a couple of them, as Trane was featured. But Wilbur Harden was also a quality player, and the sidemen are top guys too, so you can't go wrong. Add the fact that Rudy was the engineer, to top it off.

The entire collection came out as a 2 CD set a few years back.

This music is amongst the best from the era, and Trane is in fine form.

A favorite moment is the track where Tommy Flanagan plays a stunning intro with breaks. Fabulous timing, worthy of Louis Armstrong.

Don't know how often I passed up the "Tanganyika Strut" and "Dial Africa" reissue albums by W.H. in the late 70s and 80s. A mistake, it seems ... ;)

But somehow I have a feeling they still are around in secondhand bins around here.

Not quite up to the standard of the 'Mainstream' session, but you still need to have them

Don't know how often I passed up the "Tanganyika Strut" and "Dial Africa" reissue albums by W.H. in the late 70s and 80s. A mistake, it seems ... ;)

But somehow I have a feeling they still are around in secondhand bins around here.

Not quite up to the standard of the 'Mainstream' session, but you still need to have them

Agreed. I picked up my copies of the Savoy LPs not so long ago so they are 'around'. Somehow I missed them when they were originally issued - possibly as they were US-only issues, unlike the 'Countdown' which was also issued as a UK release.

Sidewinder, both Savoy LP reissues (including the "Gold Coast" LP) definitely weren't US-only. European pressings did exist and were available a long time (and a long time before that some of the recordings from those sessions had come my way on the Musidisc label). Apparently they were slow sellers on the reissue circuit (which may be why I stumbled across them fairly often).

Will pay more attention next time around ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

of what i've heard (the savoy albums with coltrane, the stardust album, lateef's other sounds) i like the quartet album "the king and i" best... my favorite trumpet quartet album iirc

(well there are other favorite trumpet quartet albums, tolliver..., but they are quite different atmospherically)

Edited by Niko

I first saw them as budget LPs and grabbed a couple of them, as Trane was featured.

Would this be 'Countdown - The Savoy Sessions', from the mid-70s? That was an excellent sounding reissue on Arista/Savoy, with great liner notes.

No, I got them in the late 60s. I think they were American LPs. French Musidisc put out several Savoys, but I don't think my Harden LPs were French. I did get the Musidisc versions of those fabulous Milt Jackson sessions with Lucky Thompson.

• 1 year later...

fooled around with the Social Security Death Index a bit (no Valdo Williams in there it seems btw) and stumbled across this entry:

WILBUR O HARDEN 24 Sep 1916 28 Sep 1997 (V) 36080 (Titus, Elmore, AL) (none specified) 421-01-2198 Alabama

now the birthdate is the one given for our Wilbur Harden, and Alabama is plausible in so far as he was born then... but how does this go together with the death date of June 1969 given usually?

"(V) " is for verified

fooled around with the Social Security Death Index a bit (no Valdo Williams in there it seems btw) and stumbled across this entry:

WILBUR O HARDEN 24 Sep 1916 28 Sep 1997 (V) 36080 (Titus, Elmore, AL) (none specified) 421-01-2198 Alabama

now the birthdate is the one given for our Wilbur Harden, and Alabama is plausible in so far as he was born then... but how does this go together with the death date of June 1969 given usually?

"(V) " is for verified

Are you sure you got the right Wilbur Harden? According to Leonard Feather/Ira Gitler's "Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz", the first edition of the "New Grove Dictionary of Jazz" and AMG (All Music Guide) the jazz trumpeter was born in 1925, while Wikipedia has December 31, 1924 as his birthday.

"(V) " is for verified

Are you sure you got the right Wilbur Harden? According to Leonard Feather/Ira Gitler's "Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz", the first edition of the "New Grove Dictionary of Jazz" and AMG (All Music Guide) the jazz trumpeter was born in 1925, while Wikipedia has December 31, 1924 as his birthday.

it's good that you ask must have been a somewhat cloudy moment, obviously it's the wrong wilbur harden... sorry, folks!

the human mind, mine at least...

WILBUR HARDEN 31 Dec 1924 Jun 1969 10026 (New York, New York, NY) (none specified) 424-18-8092 Alab

Nice to see this come up again. Time to stick some Wilbur and Trane on. Very tasty stuff.

The original tapes don't seem to have been very well looked after, as there is a mix of mono and stereo (even within one session) amongst the Savoy CD reissues, this material included. I also have a Curtis Fuller CD reissue, from about 1960, which is all mono, even though the CD of an earler Fuller session is stereo. (The Fuller sessions are also well worth tracking down, but tend to be hard to find, for some reason.)

of what i've heard (the savoy albums with coltrane, the stardust album, lateef's other sounds) i like the quartet album "the king and i" best... my favorite trumpet quartet album iirc

(well there are other favorite trumpet quartet albums, tolliver..., but they are quite different atmospherically)

Another :tup for The King and I from me - excellent album!

415JVDPWK5L._SS500_.jpg

This reissue has it all and in excellent sound, all stereo.

Harden's discography can be found here.

This is currently very hard to find.

Really? Amazon currently sells it along with 9 other sellers in the Amazon marketplace.

Huh! Not the last time I looked. Thanks!