Gig Gryce's Quartet album on Metrojazz

blind-blake

Never reissued to my knowledge. It's been particularly elusive for me.

I thought I had won a copy several years ago on ebay when I apparently was the high bidder when the auction deadline arrived. I later found out that the orignal deadline had been extended (along with many others) due to some access problem that ebay had experienced. Result: Someone outbid me. Then I finally won a copy a few years ago only to receive word from the seller that he had broken the record while packing it (sounds suspcious; I figured someone contacted him and offered him more).

Anybody know? Does anyone have plans to reissue it? Thanks.

Yes, it would be nice to hear this one especially as Gryce is listed as playing several reeds as well as flute. Not a lot of room to stretch out with twelve presumably short tracks.

One thing that might turn people off is that there is considerable overdubbing of the reed parts. Tastefully done, I'd say, like the two Zoot Sims records.

Edited by Stereojack

Yes, it would be nice to hear this one especially as Gryce is listed as playing several reeds as well as flute. Not a lot of room to stretch out with twelve presumably short tracks.

One thing that might turn people off is that there is considerable overdubbing of the reed parts. Tastefully done, I'd say, like the two Zoot Sims records.

Thanks for that Jack, more than slightly off-putting.

Edited by JohnS

Thanks for that Jack, more than slightly off-putting.

Yep, the Zoot overdubbed session I have gives me the creeps when I hear it, as do those overdubbed Signal "music minus one" sessions reissued on Savoy, despite the stellar personnel. Maybe it's just my knowing they're overdubbed, and ignorance would be bliss, but all of the above sound stiff to me.