Attention: Chuck Nessa

peterintoronto

Though I have been lurking these forums for about a year, I have never really felt the need to chime in with anything until today.

Ever since I discovered The Art Ensemble Of Chicago, I have been buying up their albums whenever I see 'em, whether it be on vinyl or compact disc. As soon as I read of Chuck Nessa's long-out-print 5-cd set of the A.E.O.C., I knew one thing: I wanted it badly! I already knew from searching these very forums that others had inquired about the box, and I knew Chuck's response: "they're long gone"!

Well, about two weeks ago I somehow stumble onto the site of a record store in Oakland, California, called 'Saturn Records'. Clicking on their 'free jazz' stock link, this line greeted me (still there, by the way):

Art Ensemble Of Chicago 1967/1968 Ind No# Chicago Studio 67-68 5CD $50.00 Buy Now

I remember making this face: :excited: :excited: :excited:. This looked like Nessa's long-out-of-print and highly coveted box! And at a hell of reasonable price too! I emailed the store, and dutifully sent a money order the very next day. I even emailed the store a week later to make sure they got my money order, as didn't want them forgetting that I had sent payment.

Fast forward another week.

Yesterday I got a delivery slip in the mail, and today I picked up the parcel! More :excited: :excited: :excited: right? I'm gonna let the pictures tell the story for a bit now:

Yay! Here it is!

dsc0003fi0.jpg

dsc0004bu5.jpg

A free DVD? Cool!

dsc0005mq6.jpg

Here it is!!! Uhhhhhh...huh? Did they send me the wrong item or something?

dsc0006nl7.jpg

Nope! It's a bootleg! How awesome for me and especially for Chuck, who I'm sure is flattered right about now. Right?

dsc0007jf8.jpg

What exquisite packaging! 5 unlabeled CDRs and a 1 page photocopy! This puts Mosaic and Bear Family to shame! :rolleyes:

dsc0008cn0.jpg

dsc0009oa4.jpg

So. This is clearly not what I had expected. I called the store immediately, and about an hour later my message was returned. Apparently the owner (who included an 86-page catalog of thousands of other bootlegged material), had "no idea that the material was commercially released". He offered that I send the discs back for a refund, but seemed wholly nonchalant about the whole thing.

What the heck do I do now? Send it back and pray for a refund? Send it to Chuck as evidence? Please advise!

P.S. The free DVD? A bootleg of course! :rolleyes:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interseting comment found on their site...

We at Saturn emphasize the appreciation of records and memorabilia as artifacts, "period pieces" if you will, in addition to their musical content. Rather than offering a catalog of contemporary reissues and other items readily available through mass marketing, or as "limited edition" collectibles, our specialty is in original-issues and exotic, foreign or promotional period editions. In our effort to continually evolve, expand and improve, we will monitor your feedback to determine if you, our valued customers, have any wish for Saturn to bring you any other types and formats of music. Let us know at service@saturnrecords.com!

So, does "exotic" mean bootleg?

Total shot in the dark, and it likely won't happen, but would it be possible to ask for a refund transfer to be made before making the return?

A similar situation happened with me and an ebay guy a while ago. He was selling what I thought were LP copies of a lot of OOP South African and Euro jazz albums. I made the order for what appeared to be an LP copy of Blue Notes for Mongezi, and I thought that it read "bonus CDR rip included with purchase" + free bonus CD (I don't know what it was--another (real) copy of Mu or something). Turns out, and I realized this a little too late, being an idiot, that he would sell the "legit" CD as the actual product, and include as a "bonus CDR rip" a copy of the OOP album. It was an easy way to look legit; you sell a CD that no one actually wants to buy and the customer pays for the bonus CDR rip. No LP included.

I mercifully got the order canceled and my money back. These schemes make me sick. On the upside, that guy got (I think) banned from ebay.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Are we to assume that the owner of the store actually has the original but would rather make copies than sell the original?

I wonder how long this store has been in existence.

"Saturn Records opened its doors to the public in Oakland, California in September of 1992 ..."

sounds like the store "turned evil" in the last few months

http://www.yelp.com/biz/saturn-records-oakland

see also

http://www.saturnrecords.com/

(they still offer the box so i just made a screenshot of them offering it in case this should ever be important)

Are we to assume that the owner of the store actually has the original but would rather make copies than sell the original?

"Saturn Records opened its doors to the public in Oakland, California in September of 1992 ..."

sounds like the store "turned evil" in the last few months

http://www.yelp.com/biz/saturn-records-oakland

see also

http://www.saturnrecords.com/

(they still offer the box so i just made a screenshot of them offering it in case this should ever be important)

Interesting. Thanks.

I actually asked the guy this. He claims to have never owned the original box - he bought it in it's bootleg state at a record show :rolleyes:. He probably made CDR 'masters' of it, and sold the original a long time ago.

Edited by peterintoronto

Peter, send it back and hope you get your money returned.

If interested, I can supply a partial set. No booklet and no disc C. I can provide scans of the book and a burn of the missing disc. How does $40 sound?

Wow. You are awesome. Do you accept PayPal?

I will be mailing everything back to Saturn Records tomorrow.

Edited by peterintoronto

This has got to be a record (and a good one ...) ... An OOP box set by the third post. I for one would encourage you to post more often! No telling what might happen. :excited:

Awesome offer by Chuck Nessa. And it's good to see good things happen with good karma.

I'd throw a note in there when you return the fake set telling the guy in Oakland that he's engaging in theft. But, he already knows that. ... Screw him. Alert the feds!

Well, your can make yourself a copy of disc C before you get your money back and buy the rest of the box from Chuck. :)

It looks like all of the CD offerings from Saturn are CDR bootlegs.

Nah, I'll send the whole thing back, and let Chuck generously send me whatever he has.

I'm actually not the victim here - Chuck and the members of the AEOC box are - and yet, Chuck is the one who has stepped up to the proverbial plate.

WOW.

This just in from my email:

Hi Peter,

I heard from Chuck, and thought I'd forward his email and my response.

I will be removing the item from inventory tonight.

Please make sure Chuck takes his blood-pressure medication, OK?

Best to you,

Scott

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Has the world gone mad? I cannot wait to mail this thing back tomorrow.

WOW.

Hi Peter,

Best to you,

Scott

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Has the world gone mad? I cannot wait to mail this thing back tomorrow.

Now a bunch of us need to call representing various artists and record labels and give the guy some more shit. :)

WOW.

Hi Peter,

Best to you,

Scott

How nice of this fellow to be passing around other people's correspondence, too. And the lovely little snip about medication. ... It all fits, I guess.